• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Bra Tree

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I took the lift up the other day with a pair of girls who were about 10 years old. They were off skiing together, so it was just me and them on this sluggish fixed-grip...which gave everyone plenty of time to ogle the Bra Tree. The girls, evidently deciding they had an Expert on board, asked me What's Up With That. They wanted to know why the Bra Tree exists, and why does anyone do that, and isn't that expensive. I don't have kids of my own, and I don't have much of a mom instinct for anything that travels on two legs, but I felt that they deserved an answer.

I thought about it for a bit, and eventually I told them that some women don't understand that they're valued for more than their looks and stuff, and that they do things like Bra Trees because of that. That got me a couple of blank looks, so I tried another tack, and said "You guys can ski this stuff, right?" (we were on a lift servicing advanced terrain). "Oh, yeah, sure" they said. So I said "Would you rather have a guy be interested in you because you can ski great and thrash the mountain? Or would you rather have a guy be interested in you because you throw your underwear off the lift chair?"

That made the penny drop. Then they wanted to know why any guy would be interested in a girl because she throws her underwear off a lift chair. That one stumped me too. So I just told them I had no idea, but that MY guy thinks I'm awesome because I rip, and I don't really care about guys who would be impressed by me throwing my underwear around. I also told them they were right, and that I, personally, would rather spend fifty bucks on a really good ski tune than on a bra I'm going to throw away.

Now I sigh every time I pass a Bra Tree, just thinking about what kind of message about skiing and women that it's sending to our girls. And I'm sympathetic to the moms who have to field these questions.

abc

Banned
Now I sigh every time I pass a Bra Tree, just thinking about what kind of message about skiing and women that it's sending to our girls.
I don't think the message to the girls are all that significant, when you consider how much negative stereotype and discrimination girls had to put up with growing up. Bra tree is just one of those many incidence.

It's the message to the BOYS that I'm more upset about! Basically, it's condoning gender bias in public places.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always thought bra/underwear trees originated from guys throwing those items from last night's conquest onto the tree. I can't imagine why any woman would throw a piece of underwear onto a tree. If the underwear is in good condition then it's kind of a waste and if it's seen better days then again, why would you want to display that?

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've only seen two people add to the Bra Tree, and both of them were chicks. They were flirting like crazy with guys on the chair at the time.

Actually, it's even worse if it's guys who throw the bras out. Even back in my Party Days, some guy tried to score one of my bras as a souvenier? I can't imagine that. I can't imagine hanging with someone like that for 10 minutes, let alone long enough to do anything that might warrant a TROPHY. Ugh.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love the answer! And oh boy yes, the questions we moms field on a regular basis!!

My usual Emergency Parent style has a lot in common with Auntie Mame, but I tried really hard to be responsible.

And the recent Kickstarter campaign for the girls-ski-film definitely is at the back of my mind.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I also told them they were right, and that I, personally, would rather spend fifty bucks on a really good ski tune than on a bra I'm going to throw away.

+1!!!

I love the work that Lyndsey Dyer is doing and the gals over at SheJumps because I'm with you- we need to honor and respect women for their abilities not just how they look in undergarments or how they may appease a man's appetites. :rolleyes:

newskiaddict

Certified Ski Diva
I'm so glad you posted this. I had no idea that this was a thing! I always wondered why there was a tree with bras on it at my local mountain. I just assumed it was dumb kids. Makes me sad that this is some kind of tradition. But, I used to teach middle school, so I'm not all that surprised.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have an undies tree that is in an out-of-bounds area on the lift ride to the advanced side of the resort. I guess being old and married, I never thought of it as anything other than somewhat naughty/silly decoration. I mean, who would actually take their bra or undies off on a ski lift?

A few years ago, I had a g-string that I didn't like (don't ask...impulse buy) which, when well weighted with two strands of beads scientifically applied by an engineer (DH), flew very well and caused the beads to wrap around a branch or two, firmly planting said g-string for a few weeks, until the next big storm blew it out. The object of the game (for us anyway) is to see how long they actually stay in the tree. If it makes the entire season, it was well engineered. The next two years, I either got donations or purchased a $2 g-string or thong just for the occasion. It seems fun and harmless.

Never thought of it as a trophy tree.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a trophy tree mostly but I remember some party when people were asked to "donate" so we bought some cheap g-strings at a supermarket.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you can get supermarket-brand underwear, tights and socks. And sometimes 1-2 other brands.

I thought you meant the sort of G-string that a stripper would wear. That's what I think of when I hear the word "G-String."

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I thought you meant the sort of G-string that a stripper would wear. That's what I think of when I hear the word "G-String."

me too. I'm still wondering if that's the case, Switzerland and all...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as I can tell, there are two definitions of G-String. One (victoria's secret definition, at least 15 years ago back when I was paying any attention) is a panty with strings connecting the sides of the hips front to back, with full coverage in back. The other (the one I was first aware of) is a thin strip of fabric between the cheeks. Which is also called a thong. But now they call flip-flops thongs, too ... fashion is confusing!

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
But now they call flip-flops thongs, too ... fashion is confusing!

Weren't they called thongs long before flip-flops? I still call my sandals thongs, I've never managed to use flip-flops. I always thought that thong underwear was the newer term...replacing what used to be called a G-string.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, even in 1998 flip-flops were being called thongs ... I remember because we moved to CA and since it was a company move, we were reimbursed for certain expenses. I turned in a receipt from Target with a few moving expenses highlighted, but most of what was on the receipt was random other purchases. I noticed that "black thong" was one of the items, although I had not bought a black thong -- I had bought black flip-flops. (It wasn't even "thongs," either.) I was all embarrassed, of course, because it was going to DH's boss.

(Not that it is a big deal, and now I wouldn't be embarrassed at all, but I was just a kid then. :tongue:)

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Must add this to the conversation.
10156016_10200799907839603_1100317495_n.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga