• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The Big Break

Cocktail Ice

Diva in Training
Well, after 30 years of skiing it finally happened. I had a skiing accident and badly broke my tibia plateau of my left leg. Now recovering from surgery and have a fine assortment of hardware piecing it all together again. Now facing 12 weeks of non-weight bearing.

I miss skiing. I miss moving. I miss being outside. I'm afraid I'll be afraid to ski again next winter, even though my surgeon says this type of break heals well and I should be able to rehab once I get back to weight bearing (on May 7, not that I'm counting days). I loved skiing trees, bumps and the ungroomed stuff and I don't know if I'll ever get back to that due to the fear (I was taken down on an ungroomed black run).

Has anyone else had a bad break and bounced back, so to speak? Anyone else had this particular type of fracture?
Hi Kathy, I am probably older than you but am 68 and DESTROYED tibial plateau Jan 2022. I had a lot of hardware installed like you, and was told no weight bearing for 8 weeks. That isn't the same as bed rest, which is what I really did a lot. Crutches were hard for me, stairs terrifying! I was able to walk around well by summer and even hiked some, but knee started bothering me so I has a meniscus arthroscopy where my doc removed adhesions that had formed. So, one year out I started skiing again- no bumps-EVER- the doc said. I found I could ski for one day but on the second consecutive day, my knee was too painful. Alternating days only.... My doc prescribed a leg brace this year which I am trying out for the first time tomorrow. I will let you know.
As for other things- I hike many days without a brace, carry 30 lbs in my pack and do pretty much everything pain-free, except my 3 inch red heels, sadly!

Terry M

Diva in Training
Well, after 30 years of skiing it finally happened. I had a skiing accident and badly broke my tibia plateau of my left leg. Now recovering from surgery and have a fine assortment of hardware piecing it all together again. Now facing 12 weeks of non-weight bearing.

I miss skiing. I miss moving. I miss being outside. I'm afraid I'll be afraid to ski again next winter, even though my surgeon says this type of break heals well and I should be able to rehab once I get back to weight bearing (on May 7, not that I'm counting days). I loved skiing trees, bumps and the ungroomed stuff and I don't know if I'll ever get back to that due to the fear (I was taken down on an ungroomed black run).

Has anyone else had a bad break and bounced back, so to speak? Anyone else had this particular type of fracture?
Hi Kathy,
I’m so sorry for your injury. I had a boot top fracture of my Tib/Fib. Lower than your injury but similar in many ways. It was comminuted (multiple breaks) and required rod placement and non weight bearing for ~8 weeks. I was in Vermont in winter of ‘22 and was 56 at the time.
I worked with my physical therapist for 6 months and got massage as needed during my recovery. I focused on diet and PT and can tell you it really does get better. You will be active and do what you love again. It will take time and you will be educated in what difficulties others face all the time. The gratitude you feel when recovered is amazing.
Because of my age, the bone did not heal at 6 months as expected but was good at 8.
I was back on skis in ‘23 but it was painful and I was quite fearful. The first time back on skis I had wanted to go alone but my husband insisted on accompanying me. Thank goodness he did because carrying my gear at the end of the day would have been too much. For me, day 1 was the hardest. I had high expectations, you will not return to the slopes like you left them. I wish I had accepted that. The disappointment in my skill and anxiety was unnecessary but it’s how I felt. But each day became a little easier and I grew more confident. A lesson would have been helpful. Time on skis is what helped me. I used KT tape and compression socks for comfort that first year. I gave myself freedom to go easy and not rush it. I skied 25 days that year, some days was only a few runs.
Now 2 years post injury I am close to my prior skiing level and generally comfortable. I have skied 26 days so far this season. My leg feels best when I keep exercising, so maybe it will improve my health in the long run??
My final thoughts are do your PT religiously, put effort into your overall health and try to have patience with yourself. You’ll be back. Best of luck!

skiluv

Diva in Training

After 50 years of skiing, I fractured my left tibia plateau and received some nice hardware as a result. I skied last year ( fractured Killington Valentine's Day 2022). It was a long talk with God, myself, and big-time fright, but I skied in New Hampshire alone. I think my head was the biggest problem. This year, before ski season, I went to ortho just for a knee check and was told my ACL was shot. 2nd opinion, and I insisted on an MRI as I was not having any pain. Results noted some meniscus damage and a partially torn ACL. I did not ski because of the late diagnosis, but working with PT, I feel confident about this upcoming winter. You can do this!

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I'm so sorry. It is super tough to deal with injury, especially when it takes out a hobby. Skiing was how I bonded with my kids and losing it for a season was maddening.

But it will be okay! Bones heal sturdily. Make sure you get physical therapy and crush it. You'll be back.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so sorry to hear this! It is an awful injury! I had no idea how bad this injury is in more ways than the broken bones until it happened to me. Mine was non surgical TPF 12/21/22 and yes I am skiing again. I had severely sprained lcl, lateral meniscus and blown up Achilles. The worse was the NWB I was 9wks until I was free to walk, although it was icy and snowy at my house so I was cheating using ski poles. Do Listen to the PT Docs. I wished I had access to a pool. My biggest issue was I couldn't lose my limp- turns out it was my atrophied calf and the LCL. and lateral meniscus. I went to acupuncture and that did free up the LCL.
Do accept the help you may be offered, take the ride to the store, drive the cart around. being stuck in bed for weeks was horrendous for me. get out of the house when it's offered. I did end up flying to Florida to be able to safely walk. It does get better, getting off the toilet without using the seat or the wall was a HUGE accomplishment, the little things are Big things. While many days it seems like it won't, it does and you will ski again. I was very nervous about skiing especially skating movement with the weight of the boots/skis. I did walk around the house in my boots before I went skiing, and I did invest in bracelayer compression tights, I did go very slowly. this Feb 27th was 1yr from my being allowed to go full weight bearing. I was at Gore doing a PSIA refresher clinic with all men on mostly blacks/dbl blacks.. I kept up, yes my leg was tired but I think skiing has been the best rehab for my leg and my head. That was day 50 for this year! I wish you all the best, i found a great TPF recovery site on face book TPF - Active Recovery & Return to Sport lots of exercises (when you are ready) and plenty of commiserating. I ate lots of calcium, vit d, zinc and arnica internally. Cbd and frankenscense oil externally helped ease my pain, the acupuncture doc told me to write the capital letters with my big toe in the air, he said it uses every muscle/tendon in the foot! also I got a pool noodle, cut it in 10" pieces and would try and grab it to strengthen my calf and work my achilles. I did a lot of wall sits and using the stairs to stretche my lcl! Hang in there! We're all rooting for you! You will ski again!!

NYCSkier

Diva in Training
I am so sorry to hear this! It is an awful injury! I had no idea how bad this injury is in more ways than the broken bones until it happened to me. Mine was non surgical TPF 12/21/22 and yes I am skiing again. I had severely sprained lcl, lateral meniscus and blown up Achilles. The worse was the NWB I was 9wks until I was free to walk, although it was icy and snowy at my house so I was cheating using ski poles. Do Listen to the PT Docs. I wished I had access to a pool. My biggest issue was I couldn't lose my limp- turns out it was my atrophied calf and the LCL. and lateral meniscus. I went to acupuncture and that did free up the LCL.
Do accept the help you may be offered, take the ride to the store, drive the cart around. being stuck in bed for weeks was horrendous for me. get out of the house when it's offered. I did end up flying to Florida to be able to safely walk. It does get better, getting off the toilet without using the seat or the wall was a HUGE accomplishment, the little things are Big things. While many days it seems like it won't, it does and you will ski again. I was very nervous about skiing especially skating movement with the weight of the boots/skis. I did walk around the house in my boots before I went skiing, and I did invest in bracelayer compression tights, I did go very slowly. this Feb 27th was 1yr from my being allowed to go full weight bearing. I was at Gore doing a PSIA refresher clinic with all men on mostly blacks/dbl blacks.. I kept up, yes my leg was tired but I think skiing has been the best rehab for my leg and my head. That was day 50 for this year! I wish you all the best, i found a great TPF recovery site on face book TPF - Active Recovery & Return to Sport lots of exercises (when you are ready) and plenty of commiserating. I ate lots of calcium, vit d, zinc and arnica internally. Cbd and frankenscense oil externally helped ease my pain, the acupuncture doc told me to write the capital letters with my big toe in the air, he said it uses every muscle/tendon in the foot! also I got a pool noodle, cut it in 10" pieces and would try and grab it to strengthen my calf and work my achilles. I did a lot of wall sits and using the stairs to stretche my lcl! Hang in there! We're all rooting for you! You will ski again!!
Hello, I am a newbie poster here, but I have been lurking and enjoying reading posts on this website for the past 2-3 months or so. I am so very sorry to read about your injury - stay strong! You’ve got this! I just returned from 3 weeks of skiing at Sun Valley (after having not skied at all for the past 30 years - I am and have been a competitive hunter/jumper equestrian riding and showing for many years in the interim). I had an absolutely fantastic time skiing again. After a few wobbly initial days spent in private lessons, it all slowly started coming together. My husband, who is a much better skier, joined me for the first week. But I was having such a great time, and progressing so much, that I decided to stay on at Sun Valley for the remainder of the ski season. Unfortunately, I had to return earlier than planned last week to NYC with a tibia pilon ankle fracture (the diagnosis is much more complicated sounding, but I think this is the essence of it), but gratefully no surgery is required at this time. Bottom line, I was hit from behind by a speeding snowboarder who probably didn’t see me on his blind side while I was skiing on mid River Run on Baldy, on somewhat icy conditions, during a private lesson. I am so fortunate that my fracture does not require surgery or anything more than 6-8 weeks of being non weight bearing, wearing a tall Aircast boot, using crutches and a knee scooter. I am posting because I just want to say just how grateful I am for this website and for the ability to read posts from so many amazing and strong women who are so dedicated to continuing to ski, regardless of prior injuries, many of which have been so much worse than my own. What a great support group to be able to access! My first concern flying home from Sun Valley to NYC was, will I ever ski again? Will I ever want to? Perhaps returning to skiing after so many years off was a mistake on my part? Maybe physically I will be OK, but what about the mental fear of getting injured again? Fortunately, desire seems to be so much strong at this point than fear. So I am already looking forward to skiing next year!

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I had the misfortune of joining the TPF club December 2022. I was able to do a very small amount of skiing the following May. I really wanted to get back on the run I fell on as quickly as possible. I am mostly skiing normally this year. At one year post op, the rotation under pressure is where I am working on rebuilding. I struggle in powder and big moguls. It's a long recovery, but eventually it will heal. The only thing I really haven't been able to return to yet is long distance running. I can do 5-15 miles, but anything more and I have to hike instead.

Reactions: AJM

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Kathy Bennett I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Tagging @2ski2moro here because she too had a TPF not long.

Reading the stories of courage and perservance here is effing amazing. What a compilation of passion and drive. Thank you to you all who've are sharing your stories.

• Love
Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the misfortune of joining the TPF club December 2022. I was able to do a very small amount of skiing the following May. I really wanted to get back on the run I fell on as quickly as possible. I am mostly skiing normally this year. At one year post op, the rotation under pressure is where I am working on rebuilding. I struggle in powder and big moguls. It's a long recovery, but eventually it will heal. The only thing I really haven't been able to return to yet is long distance running. I can do 5-15 miles, but anything more and I have to hike instead.
I'm pretty much back to normal now although my Dr said it will take 2 yrs for it to fully be ok so that will be the end of this coming September for me.
I skied last NZ season with the help of some softer, narrower more forgiving ski's and I'm back hiking so thats huge for me. I'm also SUPing which is great as my Physio and Dr didnt think I'd be able to so thats another win. Running is out and always will be along with possibly surfing which I'm dying to do, maybe next Summer.
Its amazing how the body has the ability to heal xx

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello, I am a newbie poster here, but I have been lurking and enjoying reading posts on this website for the past 2-3 months or so. I am so very sorry to read about your injury - stay strong! You’ve got this! I just returned from 3 weeks of skiing at Sun Valley (after having not skied at all for the past 30 years - I am and have been a competitive hunter/jumper equestrian riding and showing for many years in the interim). I had an absolutely fantastic time skiing again. After a few wobbly initial days spent in private lessons, it all slowly started coming together. My husband, who is a much better skier, joined me for the first week. But I was having such a great time, and progressing so much, that I decided to stay on at Sun Valley for the remainder of the ski season. Unfortunately, I had to return earlier than planned last week to NYC with a tibia pilon ankle fracture (the diagnosis is much more complicated sounding, but I think this is the essence of it), but gratefully no surgery is required at this time. Bottom line, I was hit from behind by a speeding snowboarder who probably didn’t see me on his blind side while I was skiing on mid River Run on Baldy, on somewhat icy conditions, during a private lesson. I am so fortunate that my fracture does not require surgery or anything more than 6-8 weeks of being non weight bearing, wearing a tall Aircast boot, using crutches and a knee scooter. I am posting because I just want to say just how grateful I am for this website and for the ability to read posts from so many amazing and strong women who are so dedicated to continuing to ski, regardless of prior injuries, many of which have been so much worse than my own. What a great support group to be able to access! My first concern flying home from Sun Valley to NYC was, will I ever ski again? Will I ever want to? Perhaps returning to skiing after so many years off was a mistake on my part? Maybe physically I will be OK, but what about the mental fear of getting injured again? Fortunately, desire seems to be so much strong at this point than fear. So I am already looking forward to skiing next year!
As a fellow member of the club I can certainly sympathise.
Sometimes it seems like you will never do the things you love again but trust me "YOU WILL"
I'm here 18months after my injuries, where in the immortal words of Michael Caine I "Blew the b@#$%y doors off" , and I'm almost back to normal.
Do the rehab and PT, believe in yourself and your body and most of all dont let it get you down :love:

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
I'm curious. That looks lovely.
Are there tree wells in there?
I'm sure there are tree wells. It's not a place I would feel comfortable skiing alone. My partner and I kept a short distance between us and alternated who was leading. I don't know if you can see it in the video, but we both have a whistle on our glove in case of emergencies.

Martha

Diva in Training

Hi Kathy! I am about a month behind Kathy. I broke my tibial plateau on Feb 28 at Okemo. I had surgery on March 7. I am feeling pretty good and have been pretty much pain free throughout my post surgical period. No meds. Just an aspirin every day for clottingI am already doing PT. They patched me up at New England Baptist. Four hour surgery. I know I have a couple of pins in there but I was also the grateful recipient of a bone donation.
In part I attribute the severity of my injury on a binding that did not release. I was on a flat leading up to a lift when my back left ski caught. It was as if someone had a hold of my foot. My right ski came off and I have nothing wrong with my right leg. My left however…..
Anyway, there are worse things. And I am feeling good and feeling stronger and better every day.
Like Kathy, I worry about whether I’ll have the courage to ski next season. But then I think of those crisp snowy mornings with a fresh coat of snow…God willing, I’ll be back.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kathy! I am about a month behind Kathy. I broke my tibial plateau on Feb 28 at Okemo. I had surgery on March 7. I am feeling pretty good and have been pretty much pain free throughout my post surgical period. No meds. Just an aspirin every day for clottingI am already doing PT. They patched me up at New England Baptist. Four hour surgery. I know I have a couple of pins in there but I was also the grateful recipient of a bone donation.
In part I attribute the severity of my injury on a binding that did not release. I was on a flat leading up to a lift when my back left ski caught. It was as if someone had a hold of my foot. My right ski came off and I have nothing wrong with my right leg. My left however…..
Anyway, there are worse things. And I am feeling good and feeling stronger and better every day.
Like Kathy, I worry about whether I’ll have the courage to ski next season. But then I think of those crisp snowy mornings with a fresh coat of snow…God willing, I’ll be back.

Sure hope you will be back, Martha! I enjoy seeing you out there. Wishing you fast and complete healing.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so sorry, Martha! I hadn't heard this from any of the regulars. I plan to be back next year and was already the slow skier who talks to herself about being braver! I'm sure you'll be back skiing past me again!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna