• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

The American-Airlines-Lost-My-Skis Blues.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I know many of us have lost skis during ski trips. It's a real bummer, and it's something I'm in the middle of right now.

It started last Saturday when we flew from Boston to Aspen for Diva West. We arrived at Aspen -- and our ski bag didn't. Turned out it never got on the plane in Chicago. No problem, they said. We'll get it to you shortly, they said.

We waited. And waited. And waited. Sunday rolls around, and no skis. So DH calls American. They have no idea where they are. Multiple phone calls ensue with a rolling cast of characters who CAN NOT locate our skis. Finally, they tell us that they've turned up and they've given them to Fed Ex to deliver to us in Aspen (what, American doesn't have planes?). We give them our address. Monday comes and STILL no skis. We finally get a call mid-day from Fed Ex; our skis are in Feb Ex's Lost and Found in Memphis, TN -- and get this, they have no shipping information on them whatsoever. Fed Ex only knew they were ours because of our luggage tag, which had our cell phone number on it. SO -- later on that day DH calls Fed Ex to find out what's going on, since there's been no movement on the tracking information. They refuse to tell us where our skis are or where they're going, since the contract for the shipment is held by American, and not by us. DH goes up the chain two levels. Finally they confirm that yes, they have our skis, but they're being shipped to American Airlines at Aspen Airport -- though fat lot of good that'll do, since once they arrive, who at the airport is going to know what to do with them? DH calls American again, who says they'll send a message to American at Aspen Airport, telling them to deliver them to our condo.

I'm not hopeful about this at all.

It's been extremely anxiety producing. DH has spent about 2 hours on the phone every day since Saturday on this, essentially getting nowhere. And they have my new Nordica Santa Ana 93's!!! :cry:

On the up side, we do have travel insurance. Plus we're going to file a fat claim with American. I've been demoing Black Crows Camox Birdies for the past few days (I really like them). DH bought new ski pants and a jacket, and I bought a jacket, too.

We'll see what today brings. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
United did the same thing to a friend of mine. She flew into DIA on a Sat. with a group on their way to Vail. 1/3 of the group didn't get luggage. By Monday everyone had their luggage but her. Same deal, she spent hours on the phone. Her luggage was sent back to Cincinnati twice. Finally, it ended up in Eagle-Vail. Sat there for a day and no one knew where to send it. Once it was determined it was her luggage the airlines was going to drop it off to her in Vail. By this point she didn't trust anyone with United so she borrowed my car, drove to Eagle-Vail and picked up her luggage herself.

Christy

Angel Diva
Hey Wendy, have you tweeted at these companies and posted on their Facebook pages? I recently read a New York Times travel article about how effective this can be when phone calls are not. Emphasize that you run the nation's premier forum for women skiers. :-)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
That is a total bummer Wendy but glad you are on the Black Crows. I'm in Switzerland and my ski boots, all toiletries etc went on a train ride all by themselves! They're coming Friday and I'm in rental boots atomic hawx90 too big

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bummer. American had one job to do and that was get you AND YOUR STUFF from point A to point B.

I went on a Baltic cruise last summer and SAS left our luggage in Oslo and we were ready to launch in Bergen. I wore my Lunyas (jammies but nice for casual wear) to fly---which became my wardrobe (and jammies) for several days. As the other ladies dolled up with their cruise outfits, I kept it simple with my black Lunya jammies.

Your stuff will eventually show up---but the stress, disappointment, hassle---becomes part of the narrative and diminishes the experience.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Oh no!
:doh::mad2::frusty:
So sorry!
What a PITA....

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hallelujah! Our ski bag finally arrived! I was beginning to reconcile myself to the idea that they'd never get here, but they were delivered to our condo today!

@JessIsTryingToSki , I like your idea about the frequent flyer miles! Has anyone had success with that?
I've had way more success getting FF miles as compensation vs anything else. Most airlines are fairly generous with them as long as you call the customer care line directly. Don't expect the airport employees or the regular customer service reps to help, it's a different department and the number is usually hidden on the website.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Delta has been great about FF comp when I am inconvenienced, but I am a million miler so not sure I’d have leverage otherwise.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Delta has been great about FF comp when I am inconvenienced, but I am a million miler so not sure I’d have leverage otherwise.

Write to customer service and bypass airport staff.

JessIsTryingToSki

Certified Ski Diva
@ski diva - I got 25,000 miles out of Delta when I was delayed for a day due to mechanical difficulties. If you call and ask nicely, you'll probably get a significant amount of miles. What's great about miles is that they never expire.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Pequenita , want to share your story? ;)

I'm traumatized still. The short story is: it costs $1000 to have skis flown out by helicopter to a heli-ski lodge (I opted no when I found that out), United's delayed baggage people are incompetent and did not record who they released my skis to (it was I who tracked them down to the airport hotel after my ski trip was over), and the airline's online tracking system says that my skis are still in Calgary customs even though they are currently down the hall from me.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Delta lost my suitcase on the way to my SIL’s funeral. All of my nice outfits were in it. I went to Macy’s and got some suitable clothing, which Delta reimbursed. When I got the suitcase back three days later, the zipper was open. Three (??!!!) shoes had fallen out, as well as my makeup and a flat pack toiletries case. All reimbursed, no questions asked.

I didn’t get points, but I got upgraded to 1st class on my next trip-to Europe. That was nice!

I will say that Delta’s phone customer service was incompetent.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna