• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ten Surprising Facts About the Ski Industry

marzNC

Angel Diva
The original source is a 100-page report written by a Swiss man for all countries with any ski area. He's been writing an annual comprehensive report for several years based on whatever statistics he can find. The graphs in the report are for the last ten years. The target audience seems to be people who own and run ski resorts. He started by looking at Switzerland only, then kept adding countries. Fun reading but much more detailed about Europe. Turns out you can ski in Iceland and Armenia, as well as a lot of other small countries that a ski tourist is unlikely to consider.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
Oooh! You can ski in Iceland?

Iceland has been on my bucket list forever. But I didn't know I could SKI there! Now it just got moved up a couple of notches!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oooh! You can ski in Iceland?

Iceland has been on my bucket list forever. But I didn't know I could SKI there! Now it just got moved up a couple of notches!
Looks like there are two ski areas, with mostly easier terrain because the mountains on Iceland aren't very high. Still, would be quite fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:
I found this online and thought it was interesting:

#1. La Plagne is the world’s most popular ski resort with over 2.5 million skier visits per year.
#2. 48 ski resorts recive over 1 million skier visits per season.
#3. There are 2,106 established ski areas.
#4. 48% of ski areas are located within Europe.
#5. 75% of the world top 50 ski areas are located in the Alps.
#6. Japan has 547 ski areas.
#7. Whistler is North America’s most popular ski resort but only 9th worldwide.
#8. Breckenridge is the United States most visited ski resort.
#9. There are approximately 400 million skier visits worldwide per year.
#10. As of March 2013 there are 26,764 ski lifts in the world.

The original source is a 100-page report written by a Swiss man for all countries with any ski area. He's been writing an annual comprehensive report for several years based on whatever statistics he can find. The graphs in the report are for the last ten years. The target audience seems to be people who own and run ski resorts. He started by looking at Switzerland only, then kept adding countries. Fun reading but much more detailed about Europe. Turns out you can ski in Iceland and Armenia, as well as a lot of other small countries that a ski tourist is unlikely to consider.

The 2014 version of the report is available. The sections before the country details are the most interesting. Learned that there is a group working to develop a glacier into a year round ski resort in BC, Canada. I noticed this time that each annual report is not just a minor update to the previous one. It's actually a new look at the situation, which in some cases means different conclusions because better data was available.

I was surprised at the top three countries in terms of the most ski resorts (>4 lifts) and most "foreign" tourists.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@Skisailor If you haven't seen the last Warren Miller movie, Ticket to Ride, go check it out. There's an amazing segment about skiing in Iceland! It was my favourite part of the movie. Huge glaciers descending into the ocean!

Mrs Hutchins

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@marzNC- thanks for posting that link! I plan on reading it in more detail later this afternoon by the pool. It's 90 degrees here, today.

...is it winter yet? :wink:

My friend just got back from a trip to iceland and while her visit didn't include skiing in any way the pictures alone made one want to go there. Its simply gorgeous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna