• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Votes for the model?

• Rossi Temptation 77, 160, 2016 - 30% rocker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • K2 Superific 76, 160, 2014 - 30% rocker

• Dynastar Neva 78, 164, 2014 - 15% rocker

• Total voters

aka self preservation

Diva in Training
Dear Ski Divas!

I've been reading these helpful gear forums for a while and finally signed up to post, hoping that someone will help me in my paralysis of decision making! A giant post below:

I am an intermediate skier (probably still lower intermediate). I've skied a few days a season for about 10 years, and got more into it in the past three years (and finally took some proper lessons to get the technique right). My instructor told me that I "have a strong sense of self-preservation" - I am the opposite of a speed junkie and like to always be in control, in any sport I do really. My ideal day is cruising down blues, enjoying the views, and working on improving my technique (as opposed to finding challenging terrain and charging down fast, which is my husband's ideal day :smile:)

My stats are: 33, 5'7'', 140'. I live in Ontario and ski Blue Mountain, Mont Tremblant, anything else in driving distance (Whiteface, St Anne), plus do one week a year in Europe in the Alps. I can carefully go down some blacks in Ontario but in the Alps it's only blues and reds for me.

I currently ski on Head Mya 4 in 149... which, I know, is super short for me. I have really enjoyed it in the past two years and it has made me very happy and comfortable on the runs - in the first half of the day till the snow gets pushed in bumps and ice sheets appear. It handles ice better than my brain does, but bumps and piles of snow - not at all. I put almost 700km on the Mya (Ski Tracks!) and finally feel that yes, they truly are too short for me. So it's time to upgrade gear! End of season sales in Canada! Now comes the decision making...

My requirements are:
a) an easy to control ski that is slightly longer and wider than my 74mm current one, to
b) fit my size better
c) handle variable snow conditions better. I have never faced powder more that 5 inches, but everything else is pretty much a guarantee within one week of skiing here: from hard pack to sleet to some fresh snow to ice to crud to, most definitely, the dreaded pushed piles of snow and bumps in the afternoon.

Corbetts has a great sale on with a few skis within my budget of ~400$ Canadian (300 US with current exchange rate) and after browsing the forums for many hours, I narrowed it down to mostly Temptation skis. But which one?! Here are my choices:

** Rossignol Temptation 80, 2016 in 160 ** at 389$ plus tax (wider, excellent reviews, seems to fit every requirement. My main concern - would it be easy enough for me to handle for my cruising style or is it a bit too stiff and advanced for me? Some sites are adamant that it's quite an aggressive ski, while it's only 2nd up in the Rossignol Temptation line up...)

** Rossignol Temptation 78, 2014 in 158 ** at 299$ plus tax (slightly less wide, excellent reviews, may be still slightly short for me given the 30% rocker? seems a bit softer than the later 80 and may be a good compromise between 77 and 80- at unbeatable price? I don't really love the look, but probably won't matter that much! Does buying a 2 year old ski matter? Would I be missing some cool new technology of the past 2 years?)

** Rossignol Temptation 77, 2016 ** - if I stick with a beginner easy ski to fit my riding style, just increase width and length versus my current set up. I haven't been able to find as great of a sale deal on it, so if decide to go with this one, will have to hope that something comes up at Black Friday... That would take a lot of patience! Also, less reviews are available on it so I don't actually know if it handles variable snow and ice as well as 80 does).

** K2 Superific 160 2014 at 359 plus tax (76 wide) **- reviews say it's intermediate and very easy to handle, (on paper it has everything that I like to hear). Looks absolutely gorgeous to me. 30% rocker in the front would hopefully make bumps easy. Not sure about handling ice and edge grip?

** Dynastar Neva 78 2014 - 164 - at 299$ - good reviews for mixed snow conditions in Ontario, Quebec and Alps. It's the longest of the skis I see deals for, and with only 15% rocker effectively it's much longer than the available Temptation/K2 sizes. If those are deemed too short, would have to go for this one.

Runners up were:
** Atomic Infinity Pure in 160 at 359 plus tax (seems to be less stable and handles variable snow conditions less well in reviews)
** Dynastar Glory 79 in 159 or 167 at 299 (hard to beat this price! Haven't found many user reviews on it, but some that suggested that it's less stable and demoing is recommended... It's the longest of the skis on sale - if I must go longer than 160 it's about the only choice)
** Head Absolut Joy - Skifinder app recommends this one for me, but I haven't found good deals on it in 158+ size range

I am stuck in an indecision limbo now. Help!

sandella

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Aka, "strong sense of self preservation" could describe me too! I am transitioning from green runs to blue on a pair of 2012 Rossi temptation 74's, 156. I'm about your size, just a bit heavier. I love my Rossis & find them easy to control & very forgiving. The 78s/158 are a smokin' deal, unless you think they may be too soft for you? The 80s/160 may be more versatile over a wider range of conditions. Best of luck to you & let us know what you decide!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi @aka self preservation - I can't give much input on the Temptations. @Jilly is very familiar with the Rossi line and might have something helpful to suggest. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I will just add, don't discount the Atomic Affinity Pures. I think the Affinity line is vastly underrated and I found it to be a great beginner/intermediate ski when I started skiing on variable terrain. I had them in pow, chop, hardpack, crud, you name it... I had them out in pretty much everything. There's an old review I did here: https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/i...-atomic-affinity-pure-2013.18035/#post-269548
Good luck ! This is a fun choice! I'll make sure to vote!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At 5' 7", I would NOT go below a 160 cm ski, especially if it has rocker. If a ski is easy to turn, meaning the flex is right for you and the sidecut is one that makes turn initiation easy, you will barely notice the extra length when turning. But the ski will be wayyyy more stable for you. You just may find yourself going faster and feeling good about it! Ideally, I'd like to see you on at least a 163, especially when the ski has 30% rocker, but I know it takes time for people used to short skis to feel confident about the length.

aka self preservation

Diva in Training
Thank you for the responses so fast! I am definitely itching to go click the buy button, so am checking this thread all the time :smile:
So far looks like the choice is narrowed down to two! 80/160 or 78/158!

Does anyone know if there is any notable difference in the technology between the two?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
paging @Jilly ... She knows the Rossi line up.
I am 5'1 and 102 or so but have been skiing many years. Last season I did go from a 149 Volkl Kenja to a 162 Rossi Saffron. But, I have skied lengths as long as 180's back in the early 90's. So I am not the best judge.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm typing as fast as I can.....

OK, some insights here....yes I'm a Rossi girl. I have 4 in the quiver, one pair just went to a teen ski group and are currently in Mont Ste. Anne getting a work out!

Temptation's - for Ontario skiing (and even the bigger things east of us) I would be looking at mid-70's. This past weekend I wished I still had those Attraxion 8's as they were 74 under foot and would have been great in the slush instead of the 68 of my Hero's. I don't like my Temptation 88's for eastern skiing, unless it's after a good storm. But those are what I take west! It seems the wider they are, the less they like our hardpack. Oh - the air tip just brings down the swing weight and makes it easier to turn. No big deal.

The Affinity Pure - I would look at the Sky. There should be some really good sales as the Affinity is discontinued next year.

The Neva - I demo'd these a few years back. Good intermediate ski, but softer than the Rossi's. (I had to go find the review)

5'7/140 - somewhere in the upper 150-165 range. I'm 5'5 and 155, all my skis like this are 161. Those 149's are waaaay too short for you.

Corbetts, Asogear, Sign of Skier, Sporting Life (not a fan though) all have online sites.

Also as no one else has brought it up.....boots?

aka self preservation

Diva in Training
Rossignol size guide for Temptation gives height - 10 for beginner (would make it 162 for me) and height - 5 for intermediate (which would make it 167). But they do say to take into account weight and aggressiveness also, slower skiers to err on short side... So that would put me at 160? Slow = me

aka self preservation

Diva in Training
I'm typing as fast as I can.....

OK, some insights here....yes I'm a Rossi girl. I have 4 in the quiver, one pair just went to a teen ski group and are currently in Mont Ste. Anne getting a work out!

Temptation's - for Ontario skiing (and even the bigger things east of us) I would be looking at mid-70's. This past weekend I wished I still had those Attraxion 8's as they were 74 under foot and would have been great in the slush instead of the 68 of my Hero's. I don't like my Temptation 88's for eastern skiing, unless it's after a good storm. But those are what I take west! It seems the wider they are, the less they like our hardpack. Oh - the air tip just brings down the swing weight and makes it easier to turn. No big deal.

The Affinity Pure - I would look at the Sky. There should be some really good sales as the Affinity is discontinued next year.

The Neva - I demo'd these a few years back. Good intermediate ski, but softer than the Rossi's. (I had to go find the review)

5'7/140 - somewhere in the upper 150-165 range. I'm 5'5 and 155, all my skis like this are 161. Those 149's are waaaay too short for you.

Corbetts, Asogear, Sign of Skier, Sporting Life (not a fan though) all have online sites.

Also as no one else has brought it up.....boots?
Thank you for the detailed response!! My boots are still good, I am in love with my Atomic boots - I did get them properly fitted and demoed before buying! (Coz made a mistake of getting wrong boots before..)

Jilly

Staff member
Size depends on weight and ability really. As someone stated somewhere else....skis don't know how tall you are, but they will be able to flex if the weight and power is right.

I would go 77 or 78. Depends on what's available for length. I looked up my review from years ago and it was the 74 that I tried.

aka self preservation

Diva in Training
So I managed to find a pair of 77/160 at 239 without bindings - but so far the only vote for 77 has been from @Jilly... Oooh decisions. The 77 has the new honeycomb and is softer - would it take me on any blacks or purely a blues ski??

I am not very familiar with Rossi skis but I'd go with the narrower temptations at 77, they will turn easier and will likely hold better on the ice/hard pack that we mostly ski on. I tend to be more of an Atomic than a Rossi fan so I personally would try to hunt down a pair of Atomics Airs because you'd get them at a good deal as Jilly said.

I ski in the northeast so similar conditions as you. I have 2 main pairs of skis I bring out when its icy/hard pack which it is 90% of the time. My carvers are 70 and 79 underfoot.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
I put my daughters on the Neva 78 and the Affinity Pure. Both of them love their skis, and ski similar terrain on a regular basis here in PA. Although they even skied powder at big sky like champs in these at diva west this past week. they experienced significant quad fatigue from all that carving/pushing the powder but had no problems otherwise. I skied both of their skis and they ski a little short, so I would agree that you should go longer, especially if you want to go slower. Read up on ski side cut and effective edge. Rocker design creates an easy ski to turn by turning up the ends, but in doing so, decreases the edge in contact with the snow, and a longer ski is needed for a longer effective edge for carving and skidding, aka, the physics of slowing you down, skiing in control. A longer ski increases your ability to create drag force, which is the opposite force (frictional resistance) available to get the object in motion (you) to come to a stop or slow down vs staying in motion or worse, increasing speed. Think about linked hockey stops.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
Are you really looking for a carver and not an all mountain ski. If so, wait for the new Rossi Famous line. Much better than the Unique's of this year.

I prefer true carvers for our eastern skiing. That's why I have 2 different types of skis...the Hero's and the Temptation 88's. Hero's 68, Temptation's 88 underfoot.

aka self preservation

Diva in Training
Are you really looking for a carver and not an all mountain ski. If so, wait for the new Rossi Famous line. Much better than the Unique's of this year.

I prefer true carvers for our eastern skiing. That's why I have 2 different types of skis...the Hero's and the Temptation 88's. Hero's 68, Temptation's 88 underfoot.

My goal is to have a ski that would handle the afternoon pushed-around snow bumps better than my current Head Mya 4 (while still handle icy days well too)... Mya is 74, medium stiff and with 20% rocker (and at least 10 cm too short for me :smile:) ... https://www.powder7.com/Head-Mya-No.-4-Skis/for-sale.

It sounds like the slightly wider Temptations would do it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna