• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Telluride, Feb. 16-17

Christy

Angel Diva
I knew I was going to love Telluride and I did. It has to be the most scenic and charming of any ski town in the US West. We got there the Sunday of President's Day weekend and left Wednesday, skiing the middle 2 days. It was pretty busy; restaurants were packed and there were some lift lines. Not horrible, but by no means was the place empty. I overheard kids in a lesson saying where they were from, and there was lots of Chicago and NY.

267327bce90c657591abba7aa606d1a4.jpg

09721628d7504dd3d312df0ebc07fcc7.jpg

The bummer was the 42" base. People say they need 70" to ski well, and 50" at a minimum. But this year, that's how it is. It also hadn't snowed in weeks and it had been very warm. So our first day it was hard. Thin and hard, and some runs had stretches with lots of small rocks. It's so much worse here in WA, and I was so happy my boot issues were fixed (different thread), that I just stayed on groomers, slalomed around rocks and still had fun. And the great scenery was distracting.

e1dafb5c689c57fca1ef9660f00ee3bb.jpg

ad42ec934d30d6d19628fffe3919094b.jpg

It snowed 2 whole inches that night and it did improve things a bit. I'd come down worth a cold and maybe it was the sudafed or the elevation, but I was feeling out of it and low energy, though in kind of a happy way. But between that and the underlying hard surface, I didn't feel like doing anything but tooling around on groomers.

I'd always heard that Telluride was an experts' mountain, and I know there is lots of great expert terrain, but I thought there was plenty of intermediate terrain. It wasn't particularly steep, either-the double blues were like regular blues at Whistler or Crystal Mt or Sun Valley, and there was black terrain that was mellower than at those places too. I saw some glades that looked like they would have been great for tree skiing novices like myself, had there been more snow.

There is something I can't put my finger on-maybe that the runs weren't as long as I expected for a mountain with that kind of vertical, or maybe it was the layout (or maybe it was the conditions, and that I felt confined to groomers)-but it wasn't my favorite ski area ever. But I liked the skiing, and given the scenery and the town, overall I loved it and would like to go back. I think snow is an issue even in good years, though, which makes it hard to want to plan a trip in advance.

cf5b4e627b0e826a4201b1f79d6ca65a.jpg

We stayed at the New Sheridan Hotel right on Main St, and we loved it. It's an historic boutique hotel and is an easy walk right to the gondola or lift. We could walk to anything we wanted, even the little movie theater (only a few doors down). We did the self guided historical walking tour; boy there are some beautiful buildings there. And lots of dogs, too.

1365d1b7ebd68767a531f090271200ca.jpg

c7b9629b9b4b574e53d615c4d3952901.jpg

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always imagined Telluride was the fictional town where John Galt crashed his plane in Atlas Shrugged. Hope to go someday. It looks absolutely charming. Thanks for the write-up.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As usual @Christy , you take the best photos! I was there the week before you and knew you'd be up against the unfortunate lack of snow. I will post a report as soon as I receive the photos from my sister-in-law who took several and skied with us for a couple of days. I did six straight days of skiing on about every groomer there since that was all that was available! Loved the mountain, and I too agree, that more snow would have created unbeatable terrain and idyllic scenery.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only time I went to telluride I lucked out and they got dumped 10-20" per day for several days straight. It was the most incredible skiing of my life. But, I didn't get to enjoy that gorgeous scenery because it was snowy and cloudy the whole time. I really liked the town though, much more than I thought I would!

Christy

Angel Diva
@badger did you see they got 16" in the past 24 hours? So much for our timing! Though they also lost power and only have managed to get 2 lifts open (8&9) so far.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Christy, Yes I did! My husband is going back in a couple of weeks to use the remainder of his six-day pass. He could only suffer the groomers for three days when we were there.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And Arizona also is getting a good snowfall now too! 16" last night at Snowbowl and more to come.:snow:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna