• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tell me about Alta?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Collins grill is a fun restaurant in the middle of a blue run, you get to take off your boots, put on slippers they provide and have a 3 course lunch. Not sure how much skiing you'll do after such a big lunch though haha. Reservations recommended.
Can also have a slightly less fancy sit down lunch at Alta Lodge, the Rustler, or Snowpine. Rustler takes longer and the options tend to me more filling.

At Alta Lodge, they understand that most people want to enjoy a hot lunch but also want to get back out on the slopes. Depending on what you choose, can be cheaper than eating on the mountain.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Powderhouse is on Wasatch + Alta lodge +rustler+snowpine. Alta Ski shop is the rental run by alta they have WNDR skis. Lifthouse has quite a few choices.
Bringing your skis may be cheaper.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Powderhouse is on Wasatch + Alta lodge +rustler+snowpine. Alta Ski shop is the rental run by alta they have WNDR skis. Lifthouse has quite a few choices.
Bringing your skis may be cheaper.
Bringing skis when flying has advantages but renting provides the opportunity to demo skis. Also depends on what an airline charges for checked bags and/or whether the person traveling already has a good ski bag.

Doesn't apply to the OP, but when I did a spring break trip with my friend's teen son I told him not to bring his skis. Those skis were bought a a ski swap. He rented skis in SLC since we were staying in the city. I had him change skis every day. He got to experience a few different models/brands and lengths. He was very clear by the end of the week which model he liked better.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Can also have a slightly less fancy sit down lunch at Alta Lodge, the Rustler, or Snowpine. Rustler takes longer and the options tend to me more filling.

At Alta Lodge, they understand that most people want to enjoy a hot lunch but also want to get back out on the slopes. Depending on what you choose, can be cheaper than eating on the mountain.
I'm really fond of the savory stuff at Alta Java. Light, cheap, nice and quick. You're kinda outside though, so that works best on a nice day.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm really fond of the savory stuff at Alta Java. Light, cheap, nice and quick. You're kinda outside though, so that works best on a nice day.
I'll get soup at Alf's on days when I want to get back on the Supreme lift sooner rather than later.

For people who like a hot lunch indoors, pays to check out the menu at the different places. Since even the on-mountain eating places are independently operated, there is more variety than might be expected. Not only in the menu, but also prices.

KayOss

Certified Ski Diva

@Skiing2BFreeInYYC - Looks like we will be there at the same time! We were in SLC in January but didn't get a chance to hit up Alta. We haven't skied Alta in probably 20+ years and are meeting a couple friends there. Looking forward to exploring the hill - open to any advice on lifts and trails to explore! Staying in Sandy because we bring our dog and we can drop her off at camp on our way into LCC>

Skiing2BFreeInYYC

Certified Ski Diva

@Skiing2BFreeInYYC - Looks like we will be there at the same time! We were in SLC in January but didn't get a chance to hit up Alta. We haven't skied Alta in probably 20+ years and are meeting a couple friends there. Looking forward to exploring the hill - open to any advice on lifts and trails to explore! Staying in Sandy because we bring our dog and we can drop her off at camp on our way into LCC>

Nice! Forecast is looking decent but still a little ways out. We’re a little mixed on hoping for a big snowfall, but also if that happens we may not be able to get in or out! Risk we’re just gonna have to take. Im easy to spot on the hill if you want to say hi, that’s me in the green one piece haha

Attachments

• IMG_4694.jpeg
    IMG_4694.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 4

marzNC

Angel Diva

Welcome!

This webpage is no longer linked (in spite of the title). I wrote up a self-guided tour for advanced skiers, as well as intermediates. It's out of date, in particular the trail maps doesn't have numbers any more. Also the Sunnyside lift was updated and the Albion lift was removed completely. The terrain off Supreme has been changed a bit near where the lift unloads, but that mostly impacts intermediates.

By the way, you should soon be able to see all the Divas Only sections. That includes Meet On The Hill threads. I won't be at Alta until April but I know there are probably other Divas who will be skiing Alta in March.

KayOss

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome!

This webpage is no longer linked (in spite of the title). I wrote up a self-guided tour for advanced skiers, as well as intermediates. It's out of date, in particular the trail maps doesn't have numbers any more. Also the Sunnyside lift was updated and the Albion lift was removed completely. The terrain off Supreme has been changed a bit near where the lift unloads, but that mostly impacts intermediates.

By the way, you should soon be able to see all the Divas Only sections. That includes Meet On The Hill threads. I won't be at Alta until April but I know there are probably other Divas who will be skiing Alta in March.
Wow - this link is perfect! As I mentioned it's been a while and we took a lesson so we just followed the instructor. (How long? we had rope ties on our skis so we could find them in the powder) Depending on the season, we may head back in April.
@Skiing2BFreeInYYC - I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for you! Hoping for new snow to start on Monday.

marzNC

Angel Diva
As I mentioned it's been a while and we took a lesson so we just followed the instructor. (How long? we had rope ties on our skis so we could find them in the powder) Depending on the season, we may head back in April.
Using powder cords is still done when skiing deep powder at Alta. :-)

FYI, planning on creating a Meet On The Hill thread in a few weeks. I know there will be Divas skiing Alta starting April 6. The 7-day operations closing day is April 21.

teppaz

Angel Diva
Wow - this link is perfect! As I mentioned it's been a while and we took a lesson so we just followed the instructor. (How long? we had rope ties on our skis so we could find them in the powder) Depending on the season, we may head back in April.
@Skiing2BFreeInYYC - I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for you! Hoping for new snow to start on Monday.

I’m thinking Solitude or Alta on Monday, then Alta on Wednesday. I’ll be the one with the pink boots!

alpinegal

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome!

I'm going to Alta for the first time in a few weeks and this is super helpful even with the changes over the years! Thank you!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm going to Alta for the first time in a few weeks and this is super helpful even with the changes over the years! Thank you!
I'm sure you'll have fun at Alta!

Are you staying slopeside or in the city? Will you check out Snowbird too?

Looks like with a few more posts, you'll be able to see Meet On The Hill (MOTH) threads. March is a great time to ski in Utah.

alpinegal

Certified Ski Diva
I'm sure you'll have fun at Alta!

Are you staying slopeside or in the city? Will you check out Snowbird too?

Looks like with a few more posts, you'll be able to see Meet On The Hill (MOTH) threads. March is a great time to ski in Utah.

We'll definitely be checking out Snowbird as well! My husband really loves glades and I just started getting into them in Whistler this season, so hopefully we'll be able to explore some of that terrain together.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We'll definitely be checking out Snowbird as well! My husband really loves glades and I just started getting into them in Whistler this season, so hopefully we'll be able to explore some of that terrain together.
Here's basic info about Snowbird. Other than having new tram cabins, can't think of anything that's changed since this overview was written. They are starting the process for replacing the oldest lifts.

When Mineral Basin is open, going through the Peruvian Tunnel is definitely worth it. Can get there either from the top of the tram or from the Peruvian Chair.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My husband really loves glades and I just started getting into them in Whistler this season, so hopefully we'll be able to explore some of that terrain together.
While there are trees at Alta, I can't really think of areas that I would call "glades." For that, Big Sky is better. Because of the mining history at Alta, essentially all the trees were taken down before anyone thought of the idea of skiing at the end of Little Cottonwood Canyon. The trees at Alta were all planted, with a goal of decreasing the chance of mud slides and avalanches.

If you catch a powder day, take a look at Vail Ridge. That's black terrain under the Sunnyside lift. Nice short shots where relatively few people go. It's where kids are taught how to ski deep powder. I was lucky to watch my daughter head in there as a tween. She was in a Level 6/7 lesson and the snow was thigh deep on the kids. It was a combined class with six kids and the Level 6 and Level 7 instructor. She was Level 7 and her friend was Level 6. They had a ball that day. Especially since she liked the Level 7 instructor from earlier in the week.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga