• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tecnica Mach1 115

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
What size boot do you have? I had a pair of the Atomic Hawx 115w but would instantly fold them over while skiing and ditched them pretty quickly. I was able to talk with an Atomic boot engineer and lo and behold, the flex pattern on the boot wasn't designed for smaller than a 24, and I had a 23. Kind of stupid to be honest.
I wear a 25.5 and still felt that way so I'm not sure it's just the size that makes them soft. For a 50/50 boot to be so much weaker than a touring specific boot like the Scout is pretty disappointing.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for bringing up this question. I am in the same boat. I have been in touring boots since 2007 and recently I have been spending more time in resorts and have been thinking of getting resort boots too. I have been in Scarpa Gea for so long and realized they were just too sloppy for me on the down. A friend of mine gave me their last season's Technica Zero G tour pros (the men's version 130 flex). I love them for the down and how stiff they are. They are much more responsive than my Scarpas. I do need to replace the booster strap it doesn't stay in place (can't get it tight enough) and I have the calf buckles super cranked down. I have super skinny calves, feet, ankles, and high arches. I live in the middle of nowhere so no boot fitter or ski shop within 4+ hours even though I live in the mountains. So I have been curious about what would be similar to the Zero Gs on the resort side of things.

11694s

Diva in Training
Has anyone tried both the Tecnica Scout zero G and the Mach1 and can comment on fit similarities? It's finally time for me to get a dedicated resort boot and I love how my Tecnica zero Gs fit, they ski pretty well too but have their limits. I ski Atomic hawx Ultra 115 boots inbounds currently but find them too soft (much softer than the Zero G despite the same stated flex) and not as locked into the heel as they could be. I have super skinny ankles and narrow heels, but wider at the toes. My Zero Gs are punched a little at the baby toe. I'm an aggressive skier with a racing background, but I live in BC so conditions are mostly powder, soft bumps, chop, or firm bumps - groomers are a joy I rarely have. I'm also looking at the Lange Shadow 115.

Local shops have very limited selection and only carry womens boots in <100 flex, and there isn't a really good fitter within 3 hours anymore.
Kind of sounds a bit like a dilemma I have with boots.
Have you tried the Rossignol Pure Elite 120, it's a women's boot. I tried the Lange RS 130 and thought the Rossi 120 was just as stiff, but the obvious test would be on snow. I overpower women's boots, unfortunately it's either a plug boot in my size or a less performance boot in my size, I would prefer a men's boot but they don't make them small enough anymore. Good luck with the search.

slow_biscuits

Certified Ski Diva
If women’s boots aren’t stiff enough try a men’s boot. I also have narrow heels/ankles but normal width forefoot. I ended up in a Roxa rfit pro 110. It also comes in a 120. The bootfitter had me try a Rossignol boot also (forgot which model sorry) but the limiting factor was there were fewer low-volume options in the men’s boots. I’m also pretty tall so I preferred the slightly higher cuff on the men’s boots. But just something to consider - see if a men’s boot works for you. I have narrow heels and found one that fits great.

NicoleVNC

Diva in Training
If women’s boots aren’t stiff enough try a men’s boot. I also have narrow heels/ankles but normal width forefoot. I ended up in a Roxa rfit pro 110. It also comes in a 120. The bootfitter had me try a Rossignol boot also (forgot which model sorry) but the limiting factor was there were fewer low-volume options in the men’s boots. I’m also pretty tall so I preferred the slightly higher cuff on the men’s boots. But just something to consider - see if a men’s boot works for you. I have narrow heels and found one that fits great.
Agree! Uphill I’m in Scarpa Gea and they are ok for one early morning first track downhill but too sloppy once snow gets ridden. I ended up buying Technical Mach 1 120 MV mens b/c it was all the shop had, terrific sale price and straight out of box I loved the stiffness. Use them exclusively with seperate downhill set up.
For reference I also had Nordica Strider 115 for up and down.,much better stiffness for down but got Scarpa and uphill ski/pin binding b/c so light going up. Not sure it was best decision as now I have a lot of gear to haul around

3beeches

Certified Ski Diva
For the past year I have been in the process of finding a pair of hybrid ski boots (for alpine touring and downhill). I have found the Atomic Hawk Prime XTD to be a very comfortable boot. I did start with size 25.5 and now I am in a 23.5. With each pair, I have had a flex of 95 but now that the size is right, I am thinking this is not stiff enough. I have been lucky so far in that REI has had the boots I have wanted and they have a very generous return policy (I can return them used). Unfortunately, REI does not sell the Atomic Hawk Prime XTD 105 or 115 so I have to decide which boot to buy without being able to try to ski in them. From what I have read, it sounds like the Atomic Hawk Prime XTD tends to be very flexible so that a 115 is likely not as stiff as a 115 in other boots. I did buy a pair of Atomic Hawk Prime XTD 105 from Evo and they don’t seem that stiff (meaning my shins can push forward in the boot and the boot bends). My understanding is there are advantages to having a stiff downhill ski boot but is this the same for alpine touring boot? How stiff should an alpine touring boot be? Thanks for your thoughts.

NicoleVNC

Diva in Training
Touring boot stiffness is such a great question. I’ve recently done extensive research and you’re right, each boot manufacturer rated stiffness is not the same as another’s. And many things go into it- shell material, range of motion, weight of skier, even temperature of the day! A stiffness is how much flex your body causes the boot to flex on that given ski, day, run.
I’ve been using Scarpa Gea 100 flex- light and flexy going up, fine for going down groomers but horrible in powder, bumps. Size 25.
I tried on 24 but toes smashed into front of boot too much. Scarpa breaks on the half size so 25 is my sweet spot.
Previously I wore Nordica Strider 115. Mondo 25.5. Great up and down but after a few years felt too packed down and grip walk disintegrated. Not nearly as light as Scarpa but that’s not really a deal breaker as I don’t race.
I think I couldve size down in nordica and get used to it but could also destroy my feet. Got Scarpas end if season deal so worth it at the time. And they are a nice looking boot!

anyway the 115 flex of Nordica I could ski downhill all day. No way I could in 100 Scarpa. I’m also in DH only boot Technica Mach 120 (mens version) 25.5. It’s yummy. Love the stiffness but obviously it’s not an uphill boot.

reviews say the Scarpa Gea RS 120? Performs well up and down. If I could get that for less than $900 I’d try it.

I think once you become a better skier, you naturally want to feel more contact and drive in your ski. So while a slightly flexier boot was perfect one year, down the rabbit hole we go when we improve.

Are you back country up/down or groomers? Same set up up/down as a day of all down?

I ended up just getting two sets - one for each up and down. $$ flying with them but it’s just the way it is for me now.
I’d love some reviews of Gea RS if anyone has success with big downhill days in them.

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
To update for anyone interested - I ended up with the Mach 1 in the 115 and sized down. The 105 was noticeably softer than the zero G for me. For being 98mm they feel actually higher volume than the 99mm zero G to me. Goddamn are they hard to get on though. I find they fit and ski very much like a more solid zero G.

MissySki

Angel Diva
To update for anyone interested - I ended up with the Mach 1 in the 115 and sized down. The 105 was noticeably softer than the zero G for me. For being 98mm they feel actually higher volume than the 99mm zero G to me. Goddamn are they hard to get on though. I find they fit and ski very much like a more solid zero G.
I have that boot as well, and YES it is so hard to get in and out of.. especially if it's a cold day.

NicoleVNC

Diva in Training
I have that boot as well, and YES it is so hard to get in and out of.. especially if it's a cold day.
I have the mens version Mach 1 120 and it’s super easy to get in and out, even in 10 degree constant weather. I’d hate to think they did something with the mens to make it easier? Mine is medium volume. Maybe low volume is womens so maybe that causes that awful foot/ankle contortion getting in/out?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have the mens version Mach 1 120 and it’s super easy to get in and out, even in 10 degree constant weather. I’d hate to think they did something with the mens to make it easier? Mine is medium volume. Maybe low volume is womens so maybe that causes that awful foot/ankle contortion getting in/out?
Hmmm it could be the low volume piece as it's definitely the instep area that is hard to curve in and out of. Even my bootfitter says it's a particularly difficult one and he isn't sure why exactly. Even though I have a super low instep and flexible feet I have a hard time. In is actually somewhat easier for me, probably because they are warmer at that point, when I take them off after a cold day and they are stiff though.. I have to practically kneel on the ground to get the right angle for my foot to get out without killing my instep area with the plastic. It's really odd.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Try the Dalbello Asolo if you want a boot hard to get in and out of. I had my intuition liners w laces put in and it's a little bit easier. One reason I HATE booting up from a car.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know I should go to a bootfitter but alas the closest one is over 4 hours away. Trying to figure out if I should send them back or worth taking them to a bootfitter and getting modified. One of the benefits of living in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. I purchased tecnica mach 115 lv w in 24.5. They fit snuggly everywhere but definitely very snug over the instep especially the right foot. They still have the stock footbeds in them. I stood in them for a long while and the top of my feet were super red. My feet didn't go numb. I usually put superfeet in my boots. Too much pressure on my instep if I put in superfeet insoles. When I measure my instep it is 25.5. Overall my feet and ankles and calves are pretty skinny. Curious if I will be able to take some volume away over my instep with these boots with a bootfitter or not worth it and return them?

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
I know I should go to a bootfitter but alas the closest one is over 4 hours away. Trying to figure out if I should send them back or worth taking them to a bootfitter and getting modified. One of the benefits of living in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. I purchased tecnica mach 115 lv w in 24.5. They fit snuggly everywhere but definitely very snug over the instep especially the right foot. They still have the stock footbeds in them. I stood in them for a long while and the top of my feet were super red. My feet didn't go numb. I usually put superfeet in my boots. Too much pressure on my instep if I put in superfeet insoles. When I measure my instep it is 25.5. Overall my feet and ankles and calves are pretty skinny. Curious if I will be able to take some volume away over my instep with these boots with a bootfitter or not worth it and return them?
The instep is the hardest area to improve as a problem area. You can have the plastic lifted over the instep, tongue thinned out or consider cutting out some or all of the elastic to improve that area. The fact that you can't even consider a better footbed right know gives me pause on if you can do enough to it to make it work though. (of course I can't answer that for you). I have last year's version of that boot and had to have work done on the instep, but my custom footbed fit.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The instep is the hardest area to improve as a problem area. You can have the plastic lifted over the instep, tongue thinned out or consider cutting out some or all of the elastic to improve that area. The fact that you can't even consider a better footbed right know gives me pause on if you can do enough to it to make it work though. (of course I can't answer that for you). I have last year's version of that boot and had to have work done on the instep, but my custom footbed fit.
I had a gut feeling especially with not getting my preferred footbeds in the boot. Luckily I can return them. Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I will have to keep looking. I was hoping since the tecnica zero gs fit that maybe just maybe they might work.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna