• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Taos Ski Week Feb 6-11, 2022: What did you learn?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
This is interesting but not exactly how our instructor presented it. The flat top of the mogul is good to turn or slide down, plant and get ready for the next one. She didn't necessarily say to avoid the troughs as sometimes that's your only choice and nothing about a secondary fall line.
Those bumps are not the same as Taos bumps.... IMO.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
@DebbieSue, I think the videos below demonstrate the line through the moguls that you are talking about. Take a look and see if you agree. The first video is a demonstration. The second is a diagram of what the demonstrator just did in the first video, with an explanation for the terms used.

These two videos explain what skiing the "Blue Line" through moguls means, and are from Aspen's "Bumps for Boomers" program. This program has extensive information online for all to see, including skiing what they call the Green Line, the Blue Line, and the Black Line.

Just wondering.... do the moguls in the video look easier than the ones we skied at Taos?

The videos do not show the line I was taught. I was taught to cross the spine once or if possible twice, and do just the smear where the blue line of those videos is to control speed, but not to ski the blue line. In the Taos turn there is no air or impact;you can see both in first Aspen video. The Tells glade/White feather gully bumps were that size or bigger. Elsewhere, line Kachina, Hunziger, inferno, Al’s they were bigger. The video shows piles of snow, more than bumps.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I was in Debbie Sue's group and had the same experience. Most important for me is that now I have way more confidence in my skiing.
Today, for example, I took a black diamond tree run here at Winter Park. I would have never done that in the past. It was so much fun. I knew how to look for a line and I knew that if I found myself in a tough situation, I could get out of it. This has opened up more of the mountain to me which was why I wanted to take Taos Ski Week - to improve my confidence and skill.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna