• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Tailor's Bunion??

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If this https://www.ourhealthnetwork.com/conditions/FootandAnkle/HalluxRigidusandHalluxLimitus.asp sounds familiar, both of you, don't ignore it. I did, and it was a mistake. I now have a titanium joint in my toe, and it doesn't work all that well. I usually can't run more than 100 yd at a time without severe pain.

Seriously, there are things you can do to help before it gets bad. I did go to a doctor about 5 years before I had to have surgery, and he xrayed the foot and said, "Yeah, you have some arthritis in there, take ibuprofen." And that was it. So that's what I did. Big mistake. There is more you can do. (not sure why this guy was such a genius, but it was before I realized how much you have to take things into your own hands with some medical professionals...)

Anyway, mine is my right foot, too, which is a bit larger than my left (but not quite half size), and my right leg is shorter, as well. SO ... must have something to do with stressing that forefoot a little more. Good luck, go get it checked out. Ask around and find the best foot doctor in the area, then go to him/her and two or three others.

Sigh.

Yeah, the first person who noticed it was a Newton Running guy who was analyzing my gait/feet a few years ago. I've been putting off going to see a doctor because it seems like they never have good news for me!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My left toe, on the other hand, is normal except that it catches and grinds when I bend it because the joint is shot from an accident 25 years ago. :eek: It hurts any time I walk for more than an hour or so, but it doesn't interfere with my activities. I imagine the only solution would be fusing the bones, which sounds awful, so I'm going to put off doing anything as long as I can.

No, no, no, don't do that! Because they can do things in between now and fusion ... my doctor has even resurfaced a patient's toe with his own cartilage from part of his knee, and it worked great. (I would try this except it means no weight bearing for 6 weeks, and I can't do that right now). There are cheilectomies and osteotomies and other things in between.

I waited too long, and I'm paying for it .. but even now, I got a new orthotic last summer that helped quite a bit. There are lots of options between now and fusion ... and I am not sure you can get your foot into a ski boot after fusion, so try to fix it before that horrible possibility.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am not sure you can get your foot into a ski boot after fusion, so try to fix it before that horrible possibility.
:faint:
Well if that won't get me to a doctor, I don't know what will! I don't know why it seemed like all the stuff they do for other joints wouldn't work on my toe. :loco: So I'm going to find me a good foot surgeon to see what my options are. One of my office mates has had several surgeries on her RA-afflicted feet, so I'll see who she can recommend. Aside from the bump on the other foot and some wear and tear, my feet are in good shape, so it might work out well.

Pinto, that's exactly the lecture I give other people who gimp around with old injuries. Thanks for sending it back at me!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL, I'm not exactly prone to lectures, but yes, I guess I just gave one. Or two.

It's just that I recognize where I was a few years ago, and I wish so much that I had done something about it before things got too far. Learn from my mistakes, all that ...

The good news is, The least painful place for my foot is in a ski boot! :-) That's sort of backwards from everyone else, but...

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That reminds me, I need to get my boots out of the store room and start toddling around in them at home to see whether that bump on my right toe--whatever it is--makes them uncomfortable. Like you, my ski boots have been the most comfortable and supportive footwear I have.

As for lectures, I'm all about the don't-wait-until-you-can't-use-the-limb, but I always forget that it applies to me, too. There's always that point after surgery where I wish I hadn't done it because after all, I wasn't dying or anything. :redface:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna