• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

System binding skis that won't work with small boots?

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I decided to post a new thread on this in the hopes that I might be able to warn others about this potential problem as well as to see what alternatives skis might work well.

I've been demoing some skis this year and discovered that because my boot sole length is <260 mm some system bindings won't work (you can read about the whole unfortunate story here.).

For what it's worth, I discovered that the Volkl Attiva line with system bindings will not work with my boots. Oddly and dangerously enough I demoed a pair of Volkl Auroras even though they did not have demo bindings and, unbeknownst to me at the time, I shouldn't have been demoing them @ all b/c my BSL was too small.

I fell in love with these skis and it was a huge disappointment to not be able to get them.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for a similar ski? I really liked the stability, ease of turning and carving, and confident grip this ski had while going fast over chewed-up hardpack. I imagine that this ski would perform quite well in icy conditions too.

I demoed the Volkl Kiku, 2012 Aura with tip rocker, and the Kenja. None of these skis really put a smile on my face like the Auroras. I already have a pair of Auras and a pair of Rossignol Attraxion Echos and am happy with them in powder and bumps (respectively), but would like to add a ski that handles hardpack and icy conditions with stability and great grip. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Maybe this is a side note, but you don't like your Rossi Attraxions on icy hardpack? That's more or less what they're made for. What is it you don't like about them? Knowing that might help some of the Divas identify your style and provide you with some recommendations.

I'd suggest looking for skis that are sold flat, instead of with integrated bindings, so that you can add a binding that will fit your boots.

(I'd also suggest that the manufacturers pay attention to this... women's skis should come with integrated bindings that fit women's feet.)

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You bring up a good point segacs. I'm pretty happy with the skis I have and perhaps this recent ski drama is the Universe's way of telling me to focus on my technique rather than blow more $$$ on gear.

For the sake of argument though, here were the aspects of the Volkl Auroras that separated them from my Rossi Echos:

1. The Bio-Logic bindings felt very comfortable with the neutral stance. Although I wonder how much the fact that they weren't completely going down to 260 BSL.

2. Since I've been working on carving and short turns--and I've been obsessive about getting the stem/skid out of my weak side-- I noticed that the Auroras did not skid on my weak side.

3. I feel like when I ski my Rossi Echos over chewed up and rutty hardpack, I don't feel that they're as stable when I carve (when I slow down and use short turns over that stuff, it's better though). The Volkl Auroras could go over ruts with ease and stability at higher speeds. I felt super confident going quite fast in the Auroras.

Some other mitigating factors:

1. I am becoming pretty confident with higher speeds of late and just like the feeling of the wind in my hair/pony tail.

2. The Rossis are good in bumps.

3. Had some canting/alignment work done to my boots lately; it's improved my weak side turn but it's not perfect.

You are right about manufacturers needing to be more mindful of system bindings needing to fit all sizes of women's feet.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
2. Since I've been working on carving and short turns--and I've been obsessive about getting the stem/skid out of my weak side-- I noticed that the Auroras did not skid on my weak side.

When was the last time you had your skis tuned up? No way to say for sure, but this could just be a function of the demo skis having newer/sharper edges.

3. I feel like when I ski my Rossi Echos over chewed up and rutty hardpack, I don't feel that they're as stable when I carve (when I slow down and use short turns over that stuff, it's better though). The Volkl Auroras could go over ruts with ease and stability at higher speeds. I felt super confident going quite fast in the Auroras.

What length are your Rossis? Are they simply too short for you, perhaps? Were the Auroras that you demoed significantly longer?

Jilly

Staff member
That's the original Echo. I think the 6 is a little stiffer. My 8's definately are.

I like my 8's on hardpacked snow. Not good on ice, but only race skis are. I ski the 154 and am 5'4, 145lbs. As for crud, well I like my Conquer's better, but I can get through on the 8's.

So 82 vs 72 underfoot, the Aurora is bigger all around, shovel, waist and tail. So more stable in crud. The Rossi should be quicker edge to edge, but it might be too soft for you as your ability has grown. As shown with the instablity at faster speeds. I don't know too much about any Volkl's so I'm going with what I can read on the website, but I know the Rossi's.

If I were in Montana, I think I'd be looking at a wider underfoot model. The aurora's answer that quest.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tammy, Yes there are issues with system bindings and BSL lower than 265. I discovered this problem last season when wanting to demo certain brands of skis with integrated bindings. Now, for what it's worth, you can still try to demo because I learned just last week that demo bindings once tested on the ski with your boot might actually adjust down to a 260. I too have a 260 sole and found out that a particular sytem binding DID fit when the tech really checked into it. Also what I learned was that there have been so many complaints from women about this problem, that for 2013 companies are using new systems that accommodate us little-footers!

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks again to all who have replied so far. Badger, knowing that the manufacturers might be solving this problem in their skis w/ integrated bindings gives me some hope. I plan on writing a letter to Volkl about my experience just to add my .02 along with other small-footed women.

I might just continue to demo more skis as the opportunities come up. Maybe there is a stiffer pair of Rossis or Dynastars out there with my name on them. Tried a pair of Exclusive Fluids one year, loved them, and just couldn't find a shop that sold them near me.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gotta wonder if this is a symptom of women getting more educated and demanding about their ski equipment?

Think about it: If most women buy their boots too big, then the industry looks at the most popular-selling boot sizes and creates system bindings that fit those.

But as women start wising up, getting fitted for boots and buying smaller sizes that actually fit, then there's a sudden rash of demand for Mondo 22 and 21 sizes, and bindings that fit shorter BSLs.

As far as I know, women's feet haven't gotten significantly smaller in the past few years. I think we're just buying smarter -- in part, thanks to forums like this one. I know my old boots were most definitely way, way too big, and I'm sure most of us have a story about too-large boots in our past.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: happy ending

After demoing several skis, I finally found one that skied similarly to the Aurora and the bindings definitely worked with my small boots.

I demoed the Atomic Cloud D2 75 in size 157 and was quite giddy and gleeful with how stable and stiff they were at higher speeds on chewed up groomers, hardpack, and steeps-- no flopping around in ruts or chattering :yahoo:! They were a joy to ski in bumps too; I loved how easy short turns were on these skis. So, I was able to buy the ones I demoed and skied on them more today :becky:!

I also wrote an e-mail to Volkl letting them know what happened with the Auroras. Hopefully some good will come of that.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's great that things sorted themselves out. I was going to suggest finding out whether Volkl was selling some of the skis flat. Had the sales person called the Volkl rep? I had thought (but I could be wrong) that k2, for instance, was selling some of the T:Nine/Luv skis flat even though they were more often sold with system bindings.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never had a ski with system bindings, but have been looking seriously at the Nordica Infinite. After reading here about the small boots not working with some system bindings, I am now concerned about this. My boots are mondo 22 . With all of the information listed for skis, boots, and bindings one would think that manufacturers would include the boot size range a binding will work with. I guess my next step would be to contact someone and try to find out for sure, whether or not I would be able to use these skis.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I made a phone call about the Nordica Infinite ski system and sure enough, the bindings will not work with small boots. I am so glad I saw this thread!! I was close to ordering these before seeing it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Okay, back to square one in the ski search. :cool:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Indiana, I would call the shop where the Infinite is being sold and have them adjust the binding down to see exactly how far it goes. Your 22 might actually fit, and without anyone to see this firsthand, you could be just fine.

Mona

Diva in Training
Volkl Fuego with integrated binding that claimed they fit boot sole length of 259 were 2-3mm too long (at the shortest setting) for BSL of 260.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's so lame about the Fuegos; did you hear that from a ski shop or from Volkl? Well, maybe this new line that's replacing the Attivas will address us divas with small boots.

Mona

Diva in Training
That's so lame about the Fuegos; did you hear that from a ski shop or from Volkl? Well, maybe this new line that's replacing the Attivas will address us divas with small boots.

Bought them from evo, have a return shipping label to send them back (hope to get it out tomorrow and get refunded soon).

ps guys at the Deep Powder House in Alta looked at them for me (after I found no way to fit the boots in), so I know it wasn't just me being wrongly addressed...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga