• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sunday River trip planning

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thinking of doing a family ski trip to Sunday River during February break (fortunately Feb break for us is 1 week later than president's day/week so we miss the usual crowds). We'd like to rent a ski in/out condo for the 3 of us (me plus Mr Jthree & teen Jthree). I've been looking on Airbnb but I thought I would also post here for recommendations (I got great help last year planning a similar trip to Tremblant). So far the condos I found are in Brookside, Cascades, and North Peaks. All look like decent ski in/out options. Any advice? Paging @MissySki, @lisamamot, & anyone with Sunday River knowledge.

Basil

Certified Ski Diva
I think I'd go for Brookside. IIRC those are on Roadrunner, which ends at the White cap base. The others will feed you down into South Ridge. You'll want to avoid South Ridge unless one of your party is a never ever beginner. You'll be a little further away from the west side of the mountain (Jordan/Aurora), but you can take the White Cap quad to the Barker lift (new 6 pack this year) which will get you over in the western direction.

White Cap lodge is a little annoying in that it doesn't actually have a cafeteria like a normal lodge. But therefore as a base area it's usually less crowded.

Much of my planning revolves around avoiding South Ridge as much as possible (though I spent/spend enough time there with my littles), YMMV :smile:

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I'd go for Brookside. IIRC those are on Roadrunner, which ends at the White cap base. The others will feed you down into South Ridge. You'll want to avoid South Ridge unless one of your party is a never ever beginner. You'll be a little further away from the west side of the mountain (Jordan/Aurora), but you can take the White Cap quad to the Barker lift (new 6 pack this year) which will get you over in the western direction.

White Cap lodge is a little annoying in that it doesn't actually have a cafeteria like a normal lodge. But therefore as a base area it's usually less crowded.

Much of my planning revolves around avoiding South Ridge as much as possible (though I spent/spend enough time there with my littles), YMMV :smile:
Thanks @Basil!

MissySki

Angel Diva
While I agree that avoiding Southridge base during the ski day is a must on weekends, that is not necessarily the case on weekdays. Also, starting and ending there is very convenient even on weekends as long as you avoid the middle of the day. I have a condo in Sunrise which is right above the Cascades building.. and it’s very convenient in and out. North Peak is above this base as well, on weekends the North Peak quad runs though which is super convenient and keeps you out of South Ridge base, but in recent years they have not run it on weekdays so you might still need to go down there. North Peak are 2 bedroom units all on one level, usually Brookside and Cascades are 1 bedroom where the bedroom is either upstairs or downstairs and may be a loft or actually enclosed room and the kitchen/bathroom/living room are on the main level. rookside also has some 2 bedroom units and Cascades has some studios too.

Brookside is more known as a louder party scene at times. While some of the others might be quieter, though all can be loud depending on your neighbors because the walls are thin. If you can stay on the top floor I much prefer not having anyone above me because it can be loud. I purposely bought a top unit after renting a bottom unit previously. But again, really depends on the neighbors and weekdays are usually much emptier in the condos than weekends if it is not a holiday week. Also note that there are no elevators in these building.

There are also Sunrise, my building above Cascades and White Cap above Brookside. White Cap is one level and mostly one bedrooms. They have a nice outdoor pool/hot tub. Sunrise’s pool and hot tub are inside. These buildings usually rent through Maine Ski Lodging.

The Jordan and Grand Summit hotels can also be a nice ski in/out option with multi bedroom or kitchenettes as needed. They also have restaurants in the hotel and breakfast is usually included and very good. Not sure how their pricing compares to the condos recently but they both have great outdoor pool and hot tub areas. The condos vary.. Brookside and North Peak have outside pools/hot tubs, Cascades has it inside.

Let me know if there are more specific questions I didn’t address.

Last edited:

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I agree that avoiding Southridge base during the ski day is a must on weekends, that is not necessarily the case on weekdays. Also, starting and ending there is very convenient even on weekends as long as you avoid the middle of the day. I have a condo in Sunrise which is right above the Cascades building.. and it’s very convenient in and out. North Peak is above this base as well, on weekends the North Peak quad runs though which is super convenient and keeps you out of South Ridge base, but in recent years they have not run it on weekdays so you might still need to go down there. North Peak are 2 bedroom units all on one level, usually Brookside and Cascades are 1 bedroom where the bedroom is either upstairs or downstairs and may be a loft or actually enclosed room and the kitchen/bathroom/living room are on the main level. rookside also has some 2 bedroom units and Cascades has some studios too.

Brookside is more known as a louder party scene at times. While some of the others might be quieter, though all can be loud depending on your neighbors because the walls are thin. If you can stay on the top floor I much prefer not having anyone above me because it can be loud. I purposely bought a top unit after renting a bottom unit previously. But again, really depends on the neighbors and weekdays are usually much emptier in the condos than weekends if it is not a holiday week. Also note that there are no elevators in these building.

There are also Sunrise, my building above Cascades and White Cap above Brookside. White Cap is one level and mostly one bedrooms. They have a nice outdoor pool/hot tub. Sunrise’s pool and hot tub are inside. These buildings usually rent through Maine Ski Lodging.

The Jordan and Grand Summit hotels can also be a nice ski in/out option with multi bedroom or kitchenettes as needed. They also have restaurants in the hotel and breakfast is usually included and very good. Not sure how their pricing compares to the condos recently but they both have great outdoor pool and hot tub areas. The condos vary.. Brookside and North Peak have outside pools/hot tubs, Cascades has it inside.

Let me know if there are more specific questions I didn’t address.
Thank you for all this detail!

I also didn't realize that the Jordan and Grand Summit didn't have kitchenettes- taking a look at those too. For some reason when I put in my dates a few days back nothing came up as available but it's showing options now.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For Diva East at Sunday River-Grand Summit stay with another diva, we shared 2br- one had a murphy bed and kitchenette, other had 2 queen beds- I called to get this room- it didn't show up on the resort list- the rooms are HUGE! The location was excellent- walk out and ski down to lift- ski locker right by that door was very convenient. the breakfast buffet was excellent. The turnover;s on Sunday they are mobbed- we all waited a long time to get to our rooms. I went up to my room (surprised they gave me room # when it wasn't ready) the housekeeper was alone cleaning a bunch of rooms- our beds were made, kitchen was clean- we just needed towels- I asked if I could grab some off her cart and move in- check our room off her list as Done.. she was happy to accommodate us. It was a good stay..

MissySki

Angel Diva

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I ended up booking a 3rd floor 2Br at Brookside on Airbnb. Maine Ski Lodging had a few top-level units available, but I liked how the 3rd floor one has a deck that you can exit directly from (apparently because of the way the unit is situated on the hillside):
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17066203?source_impression_id=p3_1694367418_acdDRi6RRuF+Fn4w

I may post with more questions once it's closer to February-
Yay! I agree with @MissySki - it looks like a sweet unit. Great to see an updated kitchen, they did a nice job.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tagging on here- are Brookside units likely to be ski-in and out early season (arriving Dec. 11)?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Hmmmmmm that is a tough one and I am really not sure.. maybe a better chance if the snow coming tomorrow night materializes on the high end of projections to help out. It definitely isn’t right now as that side of the mountain isn’t open yet. It skis down to the Whitecap base area which isn’t going at all.

@elemmac what do you think, any thoughts on when Roadrunner might get going?

elemmac

Angel Diva
Tagging on here- are Brookside units likely to be ski-in and out early season (arriving Dec. 11)?
I’d say, possible, but not likely. Brookside will be a gamble on the 11th.

I don’t see them opening the White Cap lift on the same weekend of the Barker “grand opening” (next weekend). My best guess is that they’ll get Brookside ski in/out at some point during the week of the 11th (but might wait for the weekend).

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That makes sense. What condo area would you recommend to be closest (walking or skiing) to the lifts that are running now or will be running after the projected Dec. 9 opening for the Barker lift?

elemmac

Angel Diva
Sunrise, Cascades, Merrill Brook are all directly ski in/out.

North Peak and Fall Line are a short walk away, and South Ridge Townhouses slightly further from lifts.

BReeves215

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Putting aside ski-in/out, what do you ladies think would be best locations to quickly access the lifts that are spinning now?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Doesn't SR have a shuttle bus between base areas? Or does the not start running until the week before Christmas?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Doesn't SR have a shuttle bus between base areas? Or does the not start running until the week before Christmas?
There is a shuttle running now yes, it’s been running between South Ridge, Barker, and Jordan currently.

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is a shuttle running now yes, it’s been running between South Ridge, Barker, and Jordan currently.@
@BReeves215 : The Grand Summit lists "Short drive to or shuttle ride to South Ridge Base Lodge and SnowSports School" as an amenity. So it shouldn't matter if White Cap is running or not. For a quick trip, I'd rather stay there than Jordan. Assuming Jordan 8 isn't running. Sunday River has so many peaks, it makes a big difference when not all of them are open.

I remember the first time I drove to Jordan to take a look, I kept thinking it couldn't possibly be that far away. I had lunch at Grand Summit with BackCountryGirl midweek when she wasn't working during an early season long weekend in 2018.

MissySki

Angel Diva
@BReeves215 : The Grand Summit lists "Short drive to or shuttle ride to South Ridge Base Lodge and SnowSports School" as an amenity. So it shouldn't matter if White Cap is running or not. For a quick trip, I'd rather stay there than Jordan. Assuming Jordan 8 isn't running. Sunday River has so many peaks, it makes a big difference when not all of them are open.

I remember the first time I drove to Jordan to take a look, I kept thinking it couldn't possibly be that far away. I had lunch at Grand Summit with BackCountryGirl midweek when she wasn't working during an early season long weekend in 2018.
Jordan WILL be running. It is the peak that has the most open because they opened there this season to start. This is outside of normal operations because Barker 6 was still being installed and will only be opening this coming weekend. So my pick for hotel would definitely be Jordan over the Summit right now.. if it were me. Though I don’t know what is affected, if anything, by the ongoing construction inside at the Jordan, which I mentioned elsewhere. So I’d inquire if that is any hindrance to guests as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna