• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Summer '08 Fitness Hall of Fame

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We've all read the reports about the great accomplishments that some of our Divas have made this summer. So let's list them all in one place. What did you accomplish, fitness- or health- related, over the past few months? Did you do a tri? Lose weight? Start running? Nothing is too small. If it's something you weren't doing at the beginning of the summer that you can do now, post it here.

For me, it's swimming. I started swimming laps in May. At first, I was doing half a mile. And I had to stop along the way. Now I'm doing a mile, straight through! :clap:

What about you?

Marigee

Angel Diva
I started swimming laps in May. At first, I was doing half a mile. And I had to stop along the way. Now I'm doing a mile, straight through! :clap:

Swimming a mile is a big accomplishment. To me it is more difficult than running 5 miles - and I am a decent swimmer. I haven't really accomplished anything this summer, just staying the course. I have really enjoyed reading about all the things other Divas have accomplished though. I think I will have to get my butt in gear next summer, try something new or aim for a goal instead of living vicariously through all of the Divas on this forum.

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've slacked over the last few weeks due to injury, but since May I have accomplished the following:

*lost 20 lbs (ish...a little fluctuation going on right now)
*ran my 1st 5K on 7/27/2008 in 34 min 5 sec with a 10:59 pace (never ran before mid-May)
*MTBing in a HUGE way (which I hadn't done in 2 years, and only easy doubletrack before that)... doing much more technical stuff and using clipless pedals now

MTBing has contributed to my recent decline (rib injury) but I will get back out there! I need to... exercise has not only been great for me physically, it's helped me mentally in a tremendous way!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did my first (and second) Olympic tri. But we're just going to count the first one, because the second one sucked ass. :smile:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is probably kind of backwards, but here is mine: My knees haven't been swollen for a couple of months. All my joints don't ache when I get out of bed every morning. (this is the "recovery" section, too)

How? I resolved to stop "playing hurt" back when I turned 40, in January. I have been religious about taking my glucosamine. I played tennis on hard courts (as opposed to clay) only a few times all summer.

I haven't increased my fitness, necessarily, but it isn't worse, and I feel a lot better.

(I think the glucosamine is really working, because I was getting arthritic pains in my fingers that I haven't had in months, as well.)

Jilly

Staff member
I'm with Marigee - sitting on the sidelines, cheering on all those Diva's that are doing so well. I've stayed the course on weight, which needs to come down 10. But with the paddling I've been doing, I've toned and built up the core. Next week its back to the gym after a 2 week layoff due to many things. We are finished paddling Sept 23rd. I can still take out my kayak after that, but it will be dark too early after work for it during the week. One of the few things I don't like about fall.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did my first (and second) Olympic tri. But we're just going to count the first one, because the second one sucked ass. :smile:

Me, too. :smile: I did my first (and half of the second...got cancelled while I was on the bike due to lightning :eek:) Olympic tri!

I also did my first (and second) half-marathon!

abc

Banned
For me, it's swimming. I started swimming laps in May. At first, I was doing half a mile. And I had to stop along the way. Now I'm doing a mile, straight through! :clap:
That's an impressive accomplishment. For me, swimming is a total mystery. I can only float, not much more. So swimming significant distance, especially in open water, is something I really admire people of.

Myself, I'm finally reaping the benefit of all these years of cycling religiously. This year, I only ride once or twice a week and was still able to pull off 50-70 miles whenever I want to. Speed has gone up steadily, despite not "training" regularly nor hard at all.

This coming weekend will be my "season target" of attempting 2 century (100 mile) back to back on 2 days. Provided the weather cooperating, that is (not too promising unfortunately, rain forecasted for Sunday). At the minimum, I'm still shooting to finish the century on Saturday at 5-6 hours.

Also did a 30 mile kayak circumnavigating of Manhattan Island (tide assisted). Great fun. Shooting for a night circ sometime later in the season (when there's long enough night).

I'm not exactly a "fitness" freak. But I do enjoy being outside for long hours. So all these distance "accomplishment" isn't what it appears. It's just a lot of hours on the saddle, or in the boat, kind of thing.

I did PT in May and June to restore my abs after my April hysterectomy. I worked out at the gym this summer as much as my schedule permitted. I got lots of outdoor exercise time on my 2 vacations to Vermont. And I spent lots of time with my kids. :smile: And worked full-time. :D And spent time with my husband. :becky: And started and completed a renovation project in my house. :eek: OK, I'm getting tired now LOL.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I turned 56 this summer, I was distressed at the scale creep and the belly thing and the struggle to run with a few extra pounds in the heat. And my skiing last season was weaker than ever, and I wanted to get stronger. And I was frustrated trying to fit in running with full-time work stress.

Then, my SIL turned me onto a book, YOUNGER NEXT YEAR. It changed how I think about aging and fitness. So----this summer, I took on the following:

1. Bought a bike and added biking to my running repetoire. Started biking the 22 miles to work a few times (traffic terrifies me, but I'm getting better).

2. Increased my running mileage----added hills and trails---to get to 4 or 5 miles instead of the standard 2.5 or 3 m. Even if I had to go slower, I went for the miles.

3. Started weight classes to increase core and muscle strength.

4. Went swimming a few times, but it's hard and I suck at it (Ski Diva---don't know how you do it, it's tough).

5. Went kayaking, realizing how weak my arm strength really is.

Basically, to fight aging, the YNY book inspired me to:

--aerobically exercise 45-60 minutes SIX DAYS PER WEEK.
--Weight train 2 days per week.
--Stop eating crap.

If that was not enough, today I bought a SKIERS EDGE training machine in the classifieds (new ~1200, my price 250) to augment my regime.

If only I did not have to work full-time---I'd be so in shape.

But, the end result---a stronger me to ski all conditions this season.

ski&bfree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started biking this summer, which is a huge accomplishment for me. I haven't gotten on a bike for years. I'm not hardcore, just do casual rides on a nearby trail. I bought a cyclometer (thank you divas for help in that subject) which helped me to increase my speed and length of rides. I love looking down to see how far I've gotten. It's very nice, also, to try to keep a constant speed during my rides.

It's great to read everyone's accomplishments! I'm very proud of you all!:clap:

marge

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We did quite a bit of biking this summer. Nothing extreme, mostly road riding. My daughter (7) rode 30 miles in two days. She wants to do the PALM next summer with her Tia and Grandpa.

I'm trying to lose weight and get in shape. I have started going to the gym three days a week now that both kids are in school and working out for an hour each time. :thumbsup:

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started RoadBiking, and did a 55 mile ride last weekend. I would never have anticipated that at the beginning of summer.

AND I've ridden up a few mountains.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a long time road biker but recently started mountain biking due to boyfriend. Also, doing the Main Fork of the Salmon in an inflatable kayak. My biggest accomplishment is improving my mountain biking. I did some advanced trails in Moab and Breck.

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also got back into mountain biking this summer after several years off. Well, in April, but that's pretty much summer in Cali. Also, switched from full rigid to full suspension at the end of August.

My biggest accomplishment was riding all of the Mazanita Rock Garden at Skeggs without incident. :becky:

Next for me? I'm talking with a couple gals about starting to train for a beginner race next season. Race season starts as early as Febuary for the CCCX race series (Central California). I still need to work on my stamina, as most of my rides aren't all that long. DH's max interest point is about 8 miles.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This summer I've lost 24 lbs (a couple more to go) and I started running. I'm up to running 3.5 miles at about 10.5 to 11 mins/mile. I'd like to be able to run farther and at least a little faster. On my last run I actually passed another runner - a miracle! I'm usually the one being passed. :redface:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice job w.ski!!!!!

Guess I better post here. I have:
*Ridden a 2 day mountain bike ride at Winter Park
*Done my first multisport race, a bike-swim-bike duathlon
*Ridden as far as 61 miles on my bike. Before this summer my high distance was around 15 miles.
*I can swim for 45 minutes.
*Dude, I'm getting guns along with all sorts of other muscle definition.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was a member of a 12-person overnight running relay team that crossed the finish line first at the end of 181.5 miles and finished 17th overall! None of us had ever done an overnight relay before.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Wow,you are all an inspiration...my goal this summer has been to improve my water skiing, and I think I have, but since I am not a "course skier" there is no quantitative measure. We still have a while to go in our season here, and with neoprene and even a dry suit (Christmas gift from SO last year) I am going to work on my goal of waterskiing and snow skiing in the same week!:ski2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna