• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stowe: ESA - Friday -> Monday (12/14-12/17)

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoo Hoo! What a blast! And you missed it! But me and Ski Now Work Later were there!

The conditions at Stowe today were fantastic! Lots and Lots of snow, soft and fluffy. I took my first runs of the season in the morning, and when we came in for lunch, I demo-ed the new Blizzard Titan Eos phat skis. What a blast they were! Absolutely floating in the flufflies, and where things were a bit windy and icy up top, they held a great edge.

I actually could feel the double carving of rolling both skies together, and let me tell you . . . I couldn't stop smiling! :ski2: So . . . since my husband was so happy that I was having fun . . . (drum roll please) . . . We bought them! Now I have three pairs of skis in my quiver! Aren't you proud of me Quiver Queen! And you can bet that they will be making a showing in Utah at Solitude in March!

Well tomorrow and Sunday look like more of the same. Snow, followed by snow, and then some more snow! :snow: Awww - now ain't that a shame?

:yahoo: I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it . . I'm about to loose control and I think I like it . . .

Jilly

Staff member
I am so glad that you ladies are having a good time. Also you just might get snowed in there on Sunday. Now wouldn't that be great!!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds fabulous! I am so looking forward to getting up there! Hope I can make it through the storm on Sunday!

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very cool , Congrats! Bet your husband the gear guy just couldn't hardly wait to pull out $$ for new gear for you ! You Divas have a fabulous ESA this weekend. Let 'em know that Divas rock !

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other question , did SnowHot get there yet ? I was feeling for her with her flight cancelled yesterday & posting on Epic from the airport awaiting a flight today.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I heard that she got there, but haven't heard anything else yet. I'm sure she'll check in!

IntheClouds

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh good !

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
... I took my first runs of the season in the morning, and when we came in for lunch, I demo-ed the new Blizzard Titan Eos phat skis. What a blast they were! Absolutely floating in the flufflies, and where things were a bit windy and icy up top, they held a great edge.

I actually could feel the double carving of rolling both skies together, and let me tell you . . . I couldn't stop smiling! :ski2: So . . . since my husband was so happy that I was having fun . . . (drum roll please) . . . We bought them! Now I have three pairs of skis in my quiver! Aren't you proud of me Quiver Queen! And you can bet that they will be making a showing in Utah at Solitude in March!

Ah, those demos at clinics are dangerous! That's how I acquired my Volkl Attiva 5*s a couple of years ago, at Stowe. Enjoy your new skis!

When in March are you going to Utah? We'll be there from the 9th to the 15th. ETA: Never mind... saw your post on The Official Who's Going to Solitude? thread. :doh:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The other question , did SnowHot get there yet ? I was feeling for her with her flight cancelled yesterday & posting on Epic from the airport awaiting a flight today.
Here I am [waving hand vigerously] Right here!!!
I did get in to the BTV airport at around 5 pm Friday, but ........
Since all the luggage from the canceled flight was going to BTV via my new flight, the plane was too heavy and they had to off load some of the luggage. Anyone wanna guess what they off loaded that belongs to me?

Yup! You Guessed it! My skis. At least I carried my boots on!
So, Whiteroom, a gear guy on Epic, who is also a shop guy in the Stowe area, loaned me a pair of his demo skis.
I have to say he is an awesome guy. Incidentally he is the guy who had demos for us on Friday, and is the one who hooked Lola up with the Blizzard EOS

Lola, you are right. That is an awesome ski!

Tomorrow's forecast says 1-2ft of snow, according to the radio station.

I had some stumbles in the start to my day, so I didn't start skiing with my group until after lunch. But it was not a loss, because Lola's son Ty made it up to ski for the weekend, and he skied with me for the morning. He is an amazing young man.
Then to Group!
I was in Robin Barnes Group! She is one of the best instructors I've ever encountered. I've struggled with my bump skiing, with tons of tips that have helped from time to time, but the one thing she told me today that really hit and made a difference was to get my feet together,
"think of a virgin clutch" She asked that we not share that term on the web, but Nannymin and I both benefited from it some much we decided we had to share.
Ski conditions were great today, however I hear they were better Friday. At any rate.............Whoooo hooooo!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you got there SnowHot :thumbsup:

Sounds like Stowe is getting the snow it deserves this year, plus the snow that it missed out on last year. Gotta love an awesome early season!

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Second day trip report . . .

Blue bird skies and cold, crisp mountain air. I joined my group, which included the ever exciting Ski Diva known as Margarita Marcia. Had a great morning skiing lots of runs and learning new skills. Then, late in the morning, I skied Chin Clip, which is the longest, steepest bump trail I have ever skied. I did fall, and it wasn't all that pretty, but I managed to get down the trail, and my bump skiing did improve a bit the father down the trail I went!

I have really enjoyed my instructor, but alas, he is not a Diva . . . He is a good teacher and very encouraging and supportive.

Whoo! Hoo! Great day again.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I made it to Stowe, even though the Vermont Highway Department said STAY OFF THE ROADS. And people did. I think we were the only ones crazy enough to be out in that storm.

Anyway, spent a nice evening with some Divas and Bears, including abc, margaritamarcia, Lola, SnowHot, ski now work later, and Nannymin (Quiver Queen arrives tomorrow). Looking forward to a great day of skiing! There's TONS of snow out there -- and it's still coming down! :snow:

Yup, we were supposed to leave this afternoon but it's super snowy here so we're taking off at 6 am tomorrow. Three days of great skiing, I learned A LOT and I got to try out my powder skis Friday afternoon and all day today -- in mid-December -- in Vermont! Amazing. The mountain is fully open -- all the lifties haven't even arrived for the season yet.

I didn't take any pics because I really wanted to focus on the coaching and skiing so I do apologize for that. I've never skied Stowe before and it is clearly the most magnificent mountain to ski on in the Northeast. There are a lot of good skiers and riders here. It's a nice long way down the mountain but the high speed quad and the gondola make quick trips up. The hike from the Mansfield Lodge to the quad gets the blood going though!

So I finally skied powder, crud, bumps, and survived to tell the tale. I can't wait to get out on snow again and integrate what I learned, and I have to say that ESA has an amazing group of coaches. And the Divas and Bears that I met are some of the nicest people I've socialized with in so long. It was a perfect weekend!:love:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a quote from Bob Barnes on Epicski
"To develop a good taste for powder, you've got to eat some!" Bob Barnes
He is right!
It tastes awesome!!!!!
In fact, I'd say its downright orgasmic!!!
Biggest regret is that I didn't take enough pics, only three on Snow.

Here is a pic of Lola, as the lovely assistant to our MC for the raffle Mr LolaDiva
n830505017_1849563_7145.jpg

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Just got back from a fantastic day at Stowe, skiing with the Divas!

Got off to a rocky start, though. My trip up to Stowe was in the teeth of Sunday's nor'easter. The Vermont Highway Patrol said to stay off the road, and they weren't kidding. It was awful! But slow and steady wins the race, and after slowly, slowly, making a white knuckle drive up I-89 (with NO ONE ELSE on the road), we arrived in time to have dinner with the Divas and Bears (Epic skiers) who were there. I had the chance to finally meet abc and Nannymin, and to once again again see SnowHot, ski now work later, Lola, and MargaritaMarcia. What a pleasure it was, too!

This morning didn't begin too promising, with high winds (50 mph+) putting a hold on Stowe lift operations. Quiver Queen arrived, and I guess that was enough; they put one of the lifts in operation about 45 minutes late, giving us access to enough terrain to have fun. The storm had dropped about 2 feet of fresh stuff on the mountain, so we had plenty of chance to play in some really nice snow! Something of a rarity in the northeast, too -- soft, fluffy bumps instead of those walrus-size ice mounds we usually have to deal with!

Here's a pic of the Divas who were there this morning:

From left to right: SnowHot, Quiver Queen, Ski Diva, abc, Lola, and Nannymin

2119450442_b7dc0a45a4.jpg

Here we are getting a little "carried away":

2118670761_b441f5bba4.jpg

And no one wants to fall behind:

2119450434_7bf9c78ea0.jpg

Didn't take any pics on the mountain; it was just too cold and windy to be messing with the camera. You'll just have to believe me when I said it was great!

So who's coming to Solitude?????

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Great pics, thanks for posting! Entire east was gripped by the storm, by the way - if all you had to endure was lift wind hold.....
The Loon (NH) gondola "deroped" (different from derailed) just after 9 a.m. on Sunday, with about 75 people on board. All safely evacuated by 10:45 - but still a loooonnnngggg time to be stuck....thankfully no one hurt. Story's online somewhere (wmur?) - I'm too tired to hunt up the link.

Today the Barker Mt HSQ (Lift 1) at Sunday River, ME had to be evacuated - happened in the a.m., details sketchy, message board not totally forthcoming with any details and likely will not make much news. But they did have to evacuate it via ROPE, which is ski patrol's favorite nightmare.

I personally experienced neither, just reporting events second/third/fourth hand as I hear them.

Loved seeing all your smiling faces :smile: !

Jilly

Staff member
I really got to go ski with some Diva's. Last year it was Jay with a ton of snow. Now this year Stowe with it again. We only got a measly 8" here and I've got to work!!
Glad you had fun and great pics!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga