• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Stowe and AIG

Lisamarie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As some of you may know, AIG is the holding company for Stowe. How do you think its near collapse will affect the ski areas, as well as other ski areas throughout the country?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Stowe went on the block. AIG -- or whoever ends up buying AIG -- will have to do whatever it takes to cut costs, and let's face it -- a ski resort is not a priority. Let's hope whoever buys it has their focus on skiing and on doing right by the resort.

Jilly

Staff member
Just pray it isn't Intrawest that looks at it. But that is right up their alleyway. They like to buy places in trouble if they think they can turn it around by selling condos, condos, condos!!

The Stowe Mountain Lodge is the most expensive hotel that I've ever seen, and I've done a lot of travel in the US and some overseas. There is more building to be done and I just don't know how that hotel will command the prices they have posted. It's gorgeous (I checked it out this July when I was in the area) but way beyond the reach of most of us....

Stowe is a pretty town and the mountain is great. Despite all the wealth, I find it to be pretty laid back. It would be a shame to get a company like Intrawest in there and change the whole culture of the mountain and the town....

robynb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Would love to know what's going to happen. Hopefully, if AIG has to sell, whoever buys it won't be allowed to ruin it... but you never know.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Shhh.... AIG is being bought by the US Gov. and another holding company that Hank Greenberg owns. He owns AIG, Stowe, and CV Star. If that does happen, Hank will keep Stowe because he likes to ski there. So I am told shhhh.....

WildKitten

Certified Ski Diva
The Stowe Mountain Lodge is the most expensive hotel that I've ever seen
You're not kidding! The first time that we looked into lodging there we thought the quote was for 5 nights, not one. Haven't seen similar accommodations anywhere as expensive.
AIG also sponsors my favorite football (soccer) team, Manchester United, I've been wondering if they'll be continuing that.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Stowe seems to be quickly going in the direction of Deer Valley with this latest lodge (think Stein Ericksen Lodge for amenities and cost). Also, I believe they are the first in the east (although I could be wrong and Stratton took that lead) to crack $80 threshold for lift tickets.

per their site: https://www.stowe.com/tickets/lift_tickets/

All seems to scream "middle class need not apply...." :rolleyes:

abc

Banned
Except $80 lift ticket is nothing out of the ordinary for most day-tripers. Much of Vermont's bigger mountains are all over $70. That includes Okemo, Sugarbush, Killington etc...

So the question becomes, do you ski Killington or Mount Snow for $70+? Or do you ski Stowe for $80? Many would choose Stowe for a couple bucks extra because it simply is better!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stowe seems to be quickly going in the direction of Deer Valley with this latest lodge (think Stein Ericksen Lodge for amenities and cost). Also, I believe they are the first in the east (although I could be wrong and Stratton took that lead) to crack $80 threshold for lift tickets.

per their site: https://www.stowe.com/tickets/lift_tickets/

All seems to scream "middle class need not apply...." :rolleyes:
This may be true on some level, yet there are many middle class people skiing there when I've been there.

They have been extremely friendly and accommodating to ESA Stowe, and jump through hoops to make sure we have everything we need.
Not sure about day trippers, but I'm sold on their hospitality from my experience.

Ice Queen

Certified Ski Diva
Intrawest will never change Stowe into one of "their" ski "villages." That's the beauty of Stowe, it's a real town independent of the mountain, and they've made a concerted effort to keep it "real," and not let chains come in and wreck the town. Stowe could never be a Stratton, it's too big. Thank god.

Regarding price, you should check out their vacation rewards program for discounted tickets, and the Vermont Travel Club also. We got some great deals at Stowe last year with the Vermont Travel Club, more than paid for the $35 membership fee. I don't even want to tell you how good the deal was for fear of too many crowds.

Laurie

Diva in Training
Stowe and costly lifts

You folks may want to join a ski club. Membership is low and you meet alot of other skiers, plus you get discounts on lift tickets. Killington is offering ski clubs 4 tickets for $200. My skiing accelerated after I joined a ski club.
You also get access to other programs, such as Amateur Ski Assn. (ASIA) clinics, which is a great buy. They offer 2 day clinics with top of the line Level 3 instructors at reasonable prices for ski improvement and mogul intro and advanced moguls. ASIA clinics are at Okemo, Belleayre, and other places in the east. Their website is asiaski.com.
I cannot imagine the town of Stowe permitting a real estate motivated company to take over the mountain and it's not the right time for such an enterprise anyway. Maybe it will go coop like MRG. That would be amazing.

sususkier

Certified Ski Diva
It would be interesting if Greenberg buys Stowe.

I ski both at Stowe and Sugarbush. I'm not sure if Win Smith owns Sugarbush or is simply the CEO, but the resort has a renewed energy and commitment to families under his management. There's a warm, non-pretentious attitude there since Smith took the helm. He's regularly seen on the slopes and writes weekly blogs on the website. I would hope Greenberg would bring that approach to Stowe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga