• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spyder and Spiders

Acrophobia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anybody avoid Spyder gear because of the spiders?

I'm not arachnophobic and I respect the good work spiders do. I just...uh...don't want 'em on me.

Anybody else?

:D

Jenny

Angel Diva
Actually, yes - at least that's one reason. The other is that the coats of theirs that I like are on the pricy (pricey?) side.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Actually, not because of the spider logo (mine has a dead fish skeleton, not much better)---but their sizing is wacked, like the stuff runs truly truly SMALL, and, like many women, I'm not too thrilled with having to "size UP." :mad: Phooey.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I do. I really don't like spiders. Big time. So I find the spiders on everything really creepy.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I HATE spiders, but yet I wear a Spyder jacket and pants. I guess I'm ok with cartoon/obviously fake spiders! :becky:

And I do agree with you on the sizing, MSL. It's SO weird!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I forgot about the sizing issue - you're right about having to size up at least one, more likely two.

abc

Banned
Count me as one too.

In fact, for years, I refuse to even LOOK AT Spyder wears because of the logo. I AM arachnophobic and basically avoid anything that has any hints of spider. More over, I automatically associate artificial spider with kids' toys. :smile:

Now that there're so many people wearing it, I finally accept they can be good jackets. And having seen them on lift lines enough I got used to it not to be afraid any more.

Still won't buy them due to price (and my el cheapo Columbia jacket of 10+ years is still going strong! :smile: )

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't mind Spyder gear from the fear factor point of view, but I hated owning a pair of Rossignol Vipers because snakes freak me out!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Spyder spiders don't bother me. But one of the women on my Ladies group bike ride has a plastic spider on her bike (just under the saddle) that freaks me out every time I see it. It looks like it's about to crawl up her butt and I get the willies just looking at it.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Spyder spiders don't bother me. But one of the women on my Ladies group bike ride has a plastic spider on her bike (just under the saddle) that freaks me out every time I see it. It looks like it's about to crawl up her butt and I get the willies just looking at it.

Eeck! :eek:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Does it make her go faster? Probably would me!

Jilly

Staff member
When I bought a Spyder suit a few years ago, they gave me a temporary tattoo. Guess nobody wants it eh?

As for the Viper's - I loved those skis! They didn't have a picture of a snake, so it didn't brother me.

C

CMCM

Spiders....gosh, am I the only one who doesn't mind them? But I guess that's because I have a spider-nut for a son. He had a "pet" black widow spider in a container in his room for a couple of years. Spiders used to give me the shivers, but after living with a kid who loves all creepy-crawlies, I learned to find them interesting, and at least now I'm able to squash 'em easily when they venture into places they shouldn't be! :laugh:

Mr. CMCM just got a really nice Spyder ski jacket on sale, and I actually quite liked the spider thing on the jacket!

RuthB

Angel Diva
My five year old son is undecided on spiders, but thinks that his jacket and pants that he has grown into for this season are the best thing out because they are spyder and he thinks it will make him a superhero - despite having little idea who spiderman is.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is funny because when I saw the title of this thread and the name of the OP, I thought her name was arachnaphobia!

I personally don't buy Spyder stuff, but more because the price tag and it is not in my taste.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I like some of Spyder's newer, more freeride influenced clothes. I think they were calling them "Venom" for a while? And I don't mind the spider. . . although if I stumbled across a black widow for real, I think I might have a heart attack.

I used to think I didn't like Spyder (and I still don't like some of their more *classic* jacket designs or color combos-- make me think of old-school ski instructors), but I was turned onto them through kids' clothes. They make THE best little kids' ski pants, with a built-in vest. Expensive, yes, but bombproof and comfy and stretchy enough to last a kid 2-3 seasons.

missyd

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would wear Spyder jackets/pants ... no problem there. But what I do not like is the cut of the stuff and many skier wear Spyder .... I prefer my Salomon stuff that nobody has!:D

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate spiders but LOVE my Spyder stuff. My second instructors jacket from Mt Holly circa 1990 is still going strong!

To a couple of the kids I coached in Nastar, I'm still "spider girl" from the web patterns on my speed suit :smile:.

Oh, and the turquoise jacket in my avatar is a Spyder, too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I used to think I didn't like Spyder (and I still don't like some of their more *classic* jacket designs or color combos-- make me think of old-school ski instructors), but I was turned onto them through kids' clothes. They make THE best little kids' ski pants, with a built-in vest. Expensive, yes, but bombproof and comfy and stretchy enough to last a kid 2-3 seasons.

My daughter loved the pink jacket and bib we found at last season's end-of-season sale at our local shop. Since it has the extra hem you can let out, she'll may get 3 seasons out of it. I was happy to find them since she needed something for our April trip to Alta with friends. To my surprise, she thought the spyder logo was cool. But then, she's not particularly scared of bugs.

IMG_5695.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga