• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Spring Skiing at Mammoth?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since this year has been underwhelming on the East coast and the Sierras are enjoying a wretched excess of snow, I thought it would be fun to do some very late spring skiing at Mammoth if conditions allow. I'd be grateful for any tips or feedback from western skiers familiar with the area. For example: is this a good idea? What will conditions be like, realistically? What's the town like?

I'm done with school in early June, and my plan is to fly into Reno (from Newark), rent a car, and drive down to Mammoth Lakes for two weeks or so of skiing and exploring. I've never been anywhere near this area, so it would all be new to me. I'd bring my tent and camp near the mountain to save money and enjoy the outdoors. I would like to bring my own pair of skis because if I stay for any length of time, the rental fees will really add up. Also, I love my skis.

Does anyone know if Mammoth offers any sort of discounted spring tickets, or a spring pass like Killington's Norbeaster?

I apologize if this is a rather vague request on the whole but as I say ,I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, just looking for some time on snow and any information at all would be helpful!

Thanks!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sounds like a great idea!! Not sure about the Bear situation that time of year but you will probably need 'bear container's' since they may be waking up from winter?

Sorry I have no clue about Mammoth but have been thinking about a late spring trip (I have days from my Mt Collective Pass to ski there) Paging @mustski , @CarverJill @VickiK

Also go check the "meet on the hill" page- There are Divas talking about Mammoth meet ups :-)

Hope to ski with you again!! and I'm glad you LOVE your skis!!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just wondering if the campgrounds might still be closed due to the quantity of snow.

I can offer up the Buddy pass perks that I have with my season pass, but don't know of other discount deals.

The amount of terrain open will be less than full mountain but I think it'll still be enough to explore and have a lot of fun.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Campgrounds were heavily booked, so I grabbed one that fit my dates. It looks to be not far outside of, and to the east, of town, so hopefully that bodes well. I will definitely keep in touch with the park and make sure it's good to go.

Thanks so much for the offer of buddy perks. It looks like for $700 I can buy next year's season pass and use it this spring. A bit more than I'd hoped to spend, but then I could use it during holiday breaks next year maybe. And for 2+ weeks of skiing, it works out to significant savings.

I don't need much terrain to have fun, that's for sure. I can happily spend all day and into the evening at my small home mountain in the Poconos, so if they have enough snow to be open at all, I'll have a blast.

Thanks for the feedback!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
My son did this in May-June 2010 - camped for at least 3 weeks, rode Mammoth. Even met up a couple of times with @skibum4ever and DH :smile: - they had a great time, and he enjoyed the camping. No clue about bear(s) issue, I'll ask him. Also will ask if he recalls what campground.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The campgrounds all have bear boxes, so I'm not particularly worried about those guys. I'm an avid backpacker and I take food hygiene./bear safety very seriously, so I have good campsite habits.

@MaineSkiLady I'm glad to hear he had a good time! Sometimes it feels like a crazy thing to do, but this season has been so frustrating, I'm dying to have some sustained ski time. I just bought plane tix!

mustski

Angel Diva
I can't speak to Mammoth bears, but I have learned that Sequoia Bears (King's Canyon) are not intimidated by people. I have seen quite a few cars ripped open due to something silly (sunscreen) left in the vehicle. We used to pull Gavin's carseat out because we figured it smelled massively like food. It was better to lose a car seat than a car. I have had some close encounters. I've even smelled bear breath.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had some close encounters. I've even smelled bear breath.

Oh, my! Thanks for the warning! Sounds like the situation is more serious than I thought. I will definitely talk to the rangers before I go and make sure I take the right precautions. And say yes to the rental car insurance waiver!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bring rope to tie bear cans and any cosmetic up high. Western bears are definitely different than eastern bears rangers usually do have an orientation and can advise if regular bears (some they name) are active.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Check out Steve Searles' info on bears of Mammoth area.
https://www.thebearwhisperer.com/
cool a bearapalooza festival!! I would just be wary of Mommas and babies in the spring... Usually Campgrounds and rangers know if the regular garbage bears are out and do a good job tracking them but I was hiking in Yosemite and when we came back to the parking area 1 car was TOTALED from the bear ripping the door off to get the cooler!! Yikes!! We didn't see the bear..

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Hi SallyCat, I've been considering doing sort of the same thing -- maybe a late Spring trip to Tahoe or Mammoth area. I lived in Yosemite for a couple years in my younger days so would recommend a side trip to Yosemite while you're there -- if you can get over one of the passes. Also, be sure to visit Hot Creek and some of the other amazing natural (undeveloped) hot springs in the area. Hot Creek was closed for swimming last time I was there but there is a nice hot springs near Bridgeport. Bishop as a side trip is recommended also. Love the "East Side" area! So much to offer...

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like a fun adventure you have planned @SallyCat . I'm sorry I'm a little slow to respond. Do you still have questions about the town? I new-ish to the area and never skied after Easter so can't speak to any of that but have been to the town a bit.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, @CarverJill ; if you have any recommendations in or around town, that would be great I'll be camping just outside of Mammoth Lakes. I'm renting a car in Reno and driving down so I'll have transportation. Thanks!

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The two memorable things I'd recommend is a restaurant called Burgers thats across from the village gondola and if you like spicy margaritas check out Roberto's Mexican Cafe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga