• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hi all -

I have just fallen in love with spring skiing, and I'm up against a wall regarding outerwear. I was HOT at Killington yesterday although the thermometer read 47*F. I think I need to buy a shell jacket and shell pants. Trouble is, I can't believe I have to spend more money!

I am acquiring the wisdom of quality equipment, and I already know I need tough fabric, good pockets, and well-made powder skirt/gaiters. But how much should I spend? (I also realize I can use these with layers next winter.) Oh, I think I just talked myself out of anything inexpensive.

Awaiting the advice of the sluts (jacket and pants, that is) out there -

RVAskis

Diva in Training
A couple of years ago, I found a great deal on a Marker shell on Sierra Trading Post. Great pockets, powder skirt, pit zips, zip off hood that is large enough to go over my helmet, if needed. And its GoreTex. So keep an eye on the discount sites, you just may find something that fits the bill. I almost always wear that shell now and layer underneath, instead of wearing my other (much warmer) jacket.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lots of great sales out there! How much you spend depends on what you like. I personally like Patagonia. It's a company with a conscience, and their products last a long time. But they're not cheap! I just ordered two shells; waiting for the second one to arrive so I can decide which I like better. One is Flylow and the other is from Stio. The Flylow was $311 on sale at REI. It was actually much lower on Flylow site, but I had a big dividend and a gift card at REI. It's not Goretex, but the construction and quality seem good. But it's a little longer than what I wanted. The one I ordered from Stio was on sale for $255. I have no experience with that company, and I'm still waiting to receive. The prices do seem high, but I tend to use my things for a long time, so I invest in durability (at least that's what I tell myself)!

newboots

Angel Diva
As I've been looking around online, there are several nice jackets that aren't specifically designed for skiing, but for "changing seasons."

No powderskirt. Would I regret that? This stuff is mighty wet to fall into.

luliski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I've been looking around online, there are several nice jackets that aren't specifically designed for skiing, but for "changing seasons."

No powderskirt. Would I regret that? This stuff is mighty wet to fall into.
I like the skiing-specific pockets, but I'm sure lots of people don't get skiing specific jackets. I've always had a powder-skirt in my jackets, but I'm not actually sure if it's meant to keep snow out when I fall or to keep it out in really deep powder. I do have spectacular falls occasionally, but I don't usually get to ski powder so deep that it would get up into the waist of my pants without a powder skirt.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree, I hate being hot skiing! In the spring I often just wear a flannel shirt or a hoodie. IMO if you're worried about falling, you primarily just need to avoid cotton; it's not as though you'll get hypothermic, and synthetics will dry fairly quickly. I find Gore-Tex tends to keep me too warm, but then I'm a Sweaty Betty anyway.

My regular ski pants, which are the Roxy Cabins, have vent zips at the thigh and are only moderately insulated, so they work all spring. I never found pit zips on jackets to be very effective, but the thigh vents on the pants make a big difference. I also have a pair of gloves that are, I think, "park gloves" for the young shredders, but they make excellent spring gloves.

If you're looking for a Gore-Tex shell, I found this on sale last month. It's not ski-specific, but it's well made.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/womens-apex-flex-gore-tex-jacket-nf0a2vcf?variationId=HCA

newboots

Angel Diva
@SallyCat That's an idea - skip buying a shell jacket. I could probably use some uninsulated pants, as mine are pretty warm. I could try them with no baselayer and the vents open and see, though. It's my torso that suffers in the heat.

Thanks! For this year, not knowing how many days I might get to ski, this might be a good solution. (I had vowed not to buy any more ski gear/clothes this spring! Need SKIS next year!)

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so glad I went with a shell as my new jacket this year- and various layers to pick and choose from for underneath. No matter what the weather, my pass stays in the same pocket, no worries about swapping everything in my pockets when swapping jackets.

Need SKIS next year
My plan for next year- each day I ski I will stuff $10 into my piggy bank (well, actually ski boot shaped bank). That will help me keep tally of the number of days I get in, and give me a gear budget for the following year. If I don't ski much, I guess I don't need much new stuff anyways. If I do ski a lot, spending more on gear is more justifiable.

Jenny

Angel Diva
My plan for next year- each day I ski I will stuff $10 into my piggy bank (well, actually ski boot shaped bank). That will help me keep tally of the number of days I get in, and give me a gear budget for the following year. If I don't ski much, I guess I don't need much new stuff anyways. If I do ski a lot, spending more on gear is more justifiable.

I like this plan!

Christy

Angel Diva
My husband just wears his Ibex jacket, the same one he wears to walk the dog, on warm spring days. When I started skiing I wrote my Marmot Precip, the same one i wore in daily life, for all skiing. A couple weekends ago I saw a number of people at Sun Valley in sweaters, no jacket. Point is, no need to buy something special if you don't want. You don't have a rain parka or windbreaker?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I just wear a rain coat, and a light merino wool layer underneath. I have the North Face Venture jacket, which I believe @santacruz skier also has. I love it - it's perfect for spring skiing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just wear a rain coat, and a light merino wool layer underneath. I have the North Face Venture jacket, which I believe @santacruz skier also has. I love it - it's perfect for spring skiing.
I do have the Venture jacket but mostly wear a Helly Hansen very lightweight mid layer type jacket (not specifically ski-more for sailing, no hood, large vertical vented pockets). I'm trying to find picture but it is two years old. Sadly haven't skied since I got back from Europe...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mostly wear the same shell (currently pictured in my avatar) as mid winter, just with fewer layers underneath. Sometimes on very warm days I'll play around with other jackets, but then I have to learn how to layer under them correctly.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I mostly wear the same shell (currently pictured in my avatar) as mid winter, just with fewer layers underneath. Sometimes on very warm days I'll play around with other jackets, but then I have to learn how to layer under them correctly.
I've been known to ski in Tahoe in the temps 50-60's and a technical shell is too warm and too cumbersome. I have skied in long sleeve icebreaker and lightweight vest also. And years ago there is a photo of me in long sleeve top and shorts skiing Shirley Lake at Squaw.
Agree that a really good (arc teryx for example) technical shell can be an all weather piece except for very warm conditions. They're pricey but you don't need 4 jackets...Just layer. I wish they were made shorter.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it need not be fancy, Costco always has those Black Diamond softshells a couple times a year. I have one that's about 10 years old now, it is perfect for spring skiing and I don't think they cost more than 30 or 40 dollars.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A simple rain shell around $100 (or less) + a layer underneath will work well for temps in the 50s-60s. And no bottom base layer. Costco softshell works too!

newboots

Angel Diva
My husband just wears his Ibex jacket, the same one he wears to walk the dog, on warm spring days. When I started skiing I wrote my Marmot Precip, the same one i wore in daily life, for all skiing. A couple weekends ago I saw a number of people at Sun Valley in sweaters, no jacket. Point is, no need to buy something special if you don't want. You don't have a rain parka or windbreaker?

I have a slicker. Hotter than anything. I used to have a windbreaker but I think it walked off with my stepdaughter a few years back. She always borrowed it. I can hunt for it, but I don't think it's here.

I can bring some extra tops, though, to change into if I fall. I was quite hot at Killington and it was supposedly only 46* in town.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga