• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spring "Break" in St George

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apologies to any of the TGR girls who may have seen this already...

For reasons to be explained in this post, details will be sparse since typing is not so fast right now.

Spring break in St George. Temps in the 70's and a great crew of friends. We rolled into town on Thursday afternoon to sunny skies, 72 degrees, and a pimp house to stay in. Friday was a whole day at Gooseberry (spectacular!) On Sat we decided to try some new stuff we'd never done down in St George proper. First was Bearclaw Poppy. This trail had huge bang for the buck! With stuff like the "3 fingers of death", "clavicle hill", "the acid drops", and "the rollercoaster", how can you go wrong? After a quick loop on Bearclaw, we picked our way up to the Barrel Trail. Lots of fun singletrack, a few dicey descents, and a crazy freeride area that was way over my head. :smile:

Sunday we decided to ride a trail called "Broken Mesa" on the way out of town. Omen? The description we had found made it sound like an upper intermediate downhill trail with a few spicy sections. Uh...no. Way more technical than we expected, and the whole trail was full of nasty sharp tire-sucking basalt. Lo and behold, I ended up catching a pedal at high speed and crashing spectacularly face-first into a rock. After a full body check, the result was a broken wrist, broken elbow, and four stitches on my upper lip - and a 3 mile hike out to the car.

Here's the ingenious sling that the boys threw together:
dixiebiking%20091_jpg.jpg

dixiebiking%20092_jpg.jpg

Pretty, huh?
53468de9b5c3e739c5ab0e433bed015c.jpg

21513b32e2e7a4119dc3de65432c1c41.jpg

Bottom line, that trail would be a lot more fun with my Ironhorse and a full-face (duh).

So here's hoping for at least a few weeks of corn season touring - I get my cast off in six weeks ( I need to get some pics of my awesome purple cast). I'll be down to just a wrist cast in 3 weeks, so if I can hold a pole, it's on. :p

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:eek: :eek: OW!!
Oh no, not another one of us.....
Poor kid, can't believe you managed to smile - and in more than one photo!!! Stay off the keyboard for a bit, take care, get well soon!!!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tradygirl, you are ONE TOUGH DIVA!!!
Something tells me you'll be back at it in no time at all.
Maybe you can make the Diva Weekend at Abasin!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take Care.....

Ouch. Sounds like you are on the mend. If there is a bright spot in this, your head and legs are fine and it happened at the tail end of ski season. :injured: And it did sound like a lot of fun (before it stopped being fun).

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Whoa.. that sure is putting the "break" in Spring Break.

Heal up soon! Hope you are able to get some last few ski days in!

Good attitude TG -- hoping for a long corn snow season so you can get some sunny turns in. And that you have some good pain meds :becky: .

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oof :( Hope you heal up fast, trady. Purple cast sounds cool though.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice sling job!:clap:

And, I'm impressed by your battle wounds! I'm one of those people that always has bruises/abrasions from softball, hiking, biking, skiing...:wink:

Glad you're ok though.:smile:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty ingenious sling your friends cooked up! And though it couldn't be fun, I'm glad it's not worse.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery. I have a feeling it won't be long before you're out there again.

C

CMCM

Ouch!!! :Cry: Poor you....but at least you are managing a smile in that photo. Hope you mend quickly, and at least this season is over (or mostly so) and you'll be mended by the time next ski season starts! By the way, wrist injuries can be tricky....when you've healed enough to move it, get light weights (1 or 2 lbs max to start) and do wrist related exercises to strengthen the support muscles and keep everything lubed and moving!

altagirl

Staff member
Heal up fast! Glad to see you up and around and not feeling too bad. Sunday was fun (we converted her old hardtail into a singlespeed while the boys went skiing). Glad it won't be too long of a recovery - you'll be back at it without missing too much!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Inner tube sling and the rest of the stabilization pads = clever. Was that a field stitch, or did you go into the ER/MD's office for it?

Here's to quick knitting bones!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the way, wrist injuries can be tricky....when you've healed enough to move it, get light weights (1 or 2 lbs max to start) and do wrist related exercises to strengthen the support muscles and keep everything lubed and moving!

Been here, done this before. I had a serious wrist break on this same arm when I was 16. You are correct, and I'm not looking forward to doing the rehab again.

Heal up fast! Glad to see you up and around and not feeling too bad. Sunday was fun (we converted her old hardtail into a singlespeed while the boys went skiing).

Sunday was more like me floundering around and AG fixing everything. I realized that bike work is very "two-handed" :D Thanks again for your help. We should hang out again this weekend if the boys go skiing and you're not working on your house or whatever - I think J is going on Sunday. Maybe do something that takes a little less coordination. :doh:

Inner tube sling and the rest of the stabilization pads = clever. Was that a field stitch, or did you go into the ER/MD's office for it?

ER stitches. They were out in 4 days! I can't believe how fast it healed.

altagirl

Staff member
Sunday was more like me floundering around and AG fixing everything. I realized that bike work is very "two-handed" :D Thanks again for your help. We should hang out again this weekend if the boys go skiing and you're not working on your house or whatever - I think J is going on Sunday. Maybe do something that takes a little less coordination. :doh:

Heh - on the contrary - re-connecting a chain and getting chainring bolts off with that slotted piece that moves around on the other side and all requires three hands anyway. So we were all set! :D

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
TG and AG, the two of you must have tons of fun together.

I'm confident you'll be at it in no time. Like my husband skiing Summit County with a broken hand. Nuthin's gonna stop you!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ow, Ow, OWWWW!!!

Glad to see you're healing up fairly quickly. Don't you just hate those abrupt ends to otherwise fantastic ride days????

How about some pics - of the ride and the new SS?

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG Trady. I'm glad you're okay! The makeshift sling made me laugh really hard -- pretty ingenious! I'm hoping your engineering mind helped create thatt masterpiece ....

Hope the healing process goes fast.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How's the healing?
Any chance you'll be up for manning the Party on the Beach at Abasin in a month?

That oughta get her riled up

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How's the healing?
Any chance you'll be up for manning the Party on the Beach at Abasin in a month?

That oughta get her riled up

Heh. I really wish - but I'm thinking no. I get my half-cast (wrist only) on April 17, and I'm hoping to be able to do some easy touring if my elbow cooperates and I can hold a pole. I get the cast totally off on May 8th, and my wrist will be a weak mess for at least a month after that. Plus, summer semester will be in full swing and I'll be stuck in school hell. If for any reason I can make it, maybe I'll jump in the car and drive out that weekend! You ladies look like you had a little bit of fun the last time you were all out there...

Volklgirl - I'll try to get some pics of the SS. It's all pimped out for urban riding, not mt biking, so no big expectations. It's got riser bars and a granny seat. :D I'll also post some riding pics from the weekend BEFORE the wreck. :injured:

altagirl

Staff member
Volklgirl - I'll try to get some pics of the SS. It's all pimped out for urban riding, not mt biking, so no big expectations. It's got riser bars and a granny seat. :D I'll also post some riding pics from the weekend BEFORE the wreck. :injured:

I'm not sure that "riser bars" adequately describes it... :p

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna