• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sportube Series 2

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I usually take my handle off, but have forgotten a couple of times and luckily it was still there when I got it back.
I never knew to take it off until one trip when it went on a separate and permanent vacation from me. I have a new one that travels with me now after ski drop-off. Lesson learned!

anasky

Diva in Training
its weird why they have to open it if they can clearly see what's in there. I bubble wrapped because the ski's are new and bindings too, so its a mental thing trying to keep them undamaged. My sportube came with a TSA sticker explaining how to open and close it. Hope they read it. I haven't skied for a long time and never in US, so this is all pretty new for me, especially flying with gear, but prepared myself pretty well. But still learning a lot here thanks to you guys. My boots come with me in the cabin but the rest in a big suitcase because of the stupid helmet not fitting in carry on . I hate bag measurement surprises at check in and since its a nonstop flight I hope my suitcase won't get lost with all my new jackets and ski clothes. I hope they keep their hands off my suitcase.

MissySki

Angel Diva
its weird why they have to open it if they can clearly see what's in there. I bubble wrapped because the ski's are new and bindings too, so its a mental thing trying to keep them undamaged. My sportube came with a TSA sticker explaining how to open and close it. Hope they read it. I haven't skied for a long time and never in US, so this is all pretty new for me, especially flying with gear, but prepared myself pretty well. But still learning a lot here thanks to you guys. My boots come with me in the cabin but the rest in a big suitcase because of the stupid helmet not fitting in carry on . I hate bag measurement surprises at check in and since its a nonstop flight I hope my suitcase won't get lost with all my new jackets and ski clothes. I hope they keep their hands off my suitcase.

I think you are really well prepared, and will hopefully have an uneventful flight! :smile: Nonstop is definitely a plus too. When is your trip?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I never knew to take it off until one trip when it went on a separate and permanent vacation from me. I have a new one that travels with me now after ski drop-off. Lesson learned!

Each time I did it I realized it just a bit too late after handing off my skis and fully expected it to be missing on the other end. :doh: Just got lucky I guess, and now I try really hard to remember to remove it. I always feel so frazzled traveling alone and trying to get everything checked in, it's not surprising to me when this has happened to fall through the cracks. Once I've unloaded the checked bags and gotten through security it's such a relief! It also helps now that I have the Black Hole bag with backpack straps as my carryon though. Previously with 3 things to roll I was a total disaster trying to get through twisty lines to the check in desk. :laughter:

Jilly

Staff member
I pack just the skis and poles in the tube. Sometimes depending on where I'm going, I'll pack my hiking shoes in there. I have a piece of foam in the ends of my tube to protect the skis from sliding into the end.

I've a friend that used a sportube to take her Dragon Boat Paddle to the worlds in Malaysia. TSA wherever had no idea how to put that thing back together. Our paddles are carbon fiber, so protection was the key for her and why she used the tube. The sport tube would have been heavier than the paddle.

anasky

Diva in Training
I think you are really well prepared, and will hopefully have an uneventful flight! :smile: Nonstop is definitely a plus too. When is your trip?
in a few days, even its only 3 days trip we still need everything , and preparation is key.
Each time I did it I realized it just a bit too late after handing off my skis and fully expected it to be missing on the other end. :doh: Just got lucky I guess, and now I try really hard to remember to remove it. I always feel so frazzled traveling alone and trying to get everything checked in, it's not surprising to me when this has happened to fall through the cracks. Once I've unloaded the checked bags and gotten through security it's such a relief! It also helps now that I have the Black Hole bag with backpack straps as my carryon though. Previously with 3 things to roll I was a total disaster trying to get through twisty lines to the check in desk. :laughter:
I hear you, thats why I decided to use a checked luggage, throw everything in and travel only with 2 items plus personal item, where I stick my ski boots in. This measuring bag stuff and TSA makes me always freaking out . Going through TSA with K2 heated ski boots with lithium batteries pulled from liner, taped the connectors and keep separated in backpack. Hope they don't inquire. Don't think in Miami they see lots of heated ski boots , expecting to be pulled aside.

anasky

Diva in Training
I pack just the skis and poles in the tube. Sometimes depending on where I'm going, I'll pack my hiking shoes in there. I have a piece of foam in the ends of my tube to protect the skis from sliding into the end.

I've a friend that used a sportube to take her Dragon Boat Paddle to the worlds in Malaysia. TSA wherever had no idea how to put that thing back together. Our paddles are carbon fiber, so protection was the key for her and why she used the tube. The sport tube would have been heavier than the paddle.

I will just use a TSA locker to hold it together, not using wire ones, but the hard ones, hope I get it through the hole. And than attach the locker to the sportube so they don't forget to put it back, hope fully

MissySki

Angel Diva
in a few days, even its only 3 days trip we still need everything , and preparation is key.

I hear you, thats why I decided to use a checked luggage, throw everything in and travel only with 2 items plus personal item, where I stick my ski boots in. This measuring bag stuff and TSA makes me always freaking out . Going through TSA with K2 heated ski boots with lithium batteries pulled from liner, taped the connectors and keep separated in backpack. Hope they don't inquire. Don't think in Miami they see lots of heated ski boots , expecting to be pulled aside.

I wouldn't stress about the batteries, even if they ask it's easy enough to explain.

Have a great time, and report back on your trip!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will just use a TSA locker to hold it together, not using wire ones, but the hard ones, hope I get it through the hole. And than attach the locker to the sportube so they don't forget to put it back, hope fully

I hope you have good luck, I fly out of Albany and they always take it apart. Delta has lost the pin and the lock! I was very upset when I picked up my skis at baggage reconnected the handle (I take that off at check in) My skis flew out on the floor! No idea if this happened while in transit!

I now use @marzNC 's trick to tie a string/shoelace to the pin and back to the handle, so far so good. I do travel with spare brake elastic bands and a spare pin, just in case. I only put skis and poles in mine.

AND If your boot bag won't fit in the compartment you can "GATE CHECK" the boot bag- they'll tag it right before you board the plane and then you wait on arrival for them to give it back to you- right at the plane exit ramp! (I do that often)

Have a great trip- Non Stops are the way to go on ski trips- less handling! Have Fun!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I now use @marzNC 's trick to tie a string/shoelace to the pin and back to the handle, so far so good. I do travel with spare brake elastic bands and a spare pin, just in case. I only put skis and poles in mine.
I learned about tying the pin from a Diva. :-)

I also travel with a spare pin. Have managed to remember to take off the pull handle most of the time.

Since I have a Sportube 2 but usually only pack one pair of skis, what I usually add are snow boots, extra gloves (in a bag), and a small backpack. Most of the time I wrap the skis in some stuff that doesn't tear, but not always.

This winter TSA is clearly not opening ski cases as much. Instead of a card inside, they just put a sticker on the luggage tag.

The black rolling case is actually a Transpack boot case, clamshell design
Rolling plus blue w Sportube2 Sidekick - 1.jpg

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I learned about tying the pin from a Diva. :-)

I also travel with a spare pin. Have managed to remember to take off the pull handle most of the time.
I stopped using the pins and instead use a TSA-compliant lock thru the holes (the kind that has a little cable instead of being rigid steel). Interestingly, the TSA seem to be able to identify with the lock concept better than they did with the pin.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also use the cable locks and I put a piece of tape with sharpie writing on the tube showing where to close it back to also (after having it barely closed once and lots of movement of the skis inside)...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna