• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sportube Series 2

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently purchased the Sportube Series 2 to transport my skis to and from the East Coast over Christmas while visiting family. On a scale of 5 stars, I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5.

The tube is pretty beefy in terms of construction. It's made out of a very sturdy plastic. There are two parts--or sleeves--of the tube where one slides tightly over the other. The ends of each tube have a layer of foam padding. It secures with a sturdy metal pin; you can also buy a sturdy TSA cable lock from Sportube to secure the two sleeves. I would not recommend using a regular TSA cable lock since the cable will crimp. You can also use two longer-cabled TSA locks to lock the case: one through a hole in the top sleeve and another through a hole in the bottom sleeve over the metal pin.

Loading the skis into the tube was a bit of a learning curve. First, you have to retain the brakes with some sturdy rubber bands. Next, take apart the two parts of the tube. Then, place the skis--bases facing out, tip to tail-- into the bottom sleeve portion of the tube, and stack the bindings of each ski so they fit into the tube like shoes. There is a Velcro strap on the inside of the bottom sleeve to better secure the skis in the tube.

The Series 2 Sportube is supposed to be able to carry 2 pairs of skis as well as 2 pairs of poles. I'm not so sure about this. Even with the brakes retained, I noticed that there wouldn't be a whole lot of room for another pair of skis. I think that if I were able to have put two pairs in there then there would not have been enough space for anything else. I'd be a little skeptical on some of the fatter powder skis fitting in there as well. On this trip I only packed one pair of skis (75mm underfoot) along with my poles, goggles, and a pair of ski pants.

I checked my skis as baggage on the way from MT to the East Coast. No huge problems occurred. Skis and other contents arrived in one piece.

On the way back, I shipped the Sportube back home via UPS ground. That worked okay as well, just slower.

After my trip was completed and the Sportube was delivered back home, I only noticed two major problems. First, the Velcro straps severely frayed where the ski edges contacted them. Second, the padding on the bottom tube shredded under the tip and tail of the ski. The skis were fine though. Next time around, I'll reinforce the Velcro straps and add more foam padding at the ends.

Bottom line: despite some inconveniences, the Sportube will indeed protect your gear.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for that review. I've been wondering about those Sportubes. We're going skiing out west next year, and I want to take my Rossi S7ws, and would prefer to take them in a Sportube. I wondered whether the thing would accommodate the fatties, and how well it would deal with the rockered twintips. Sounds like "not well" may be the answer. I will have to be sure I get a lot of detail from the manufacturer before ordering one.

Jilly

Staff member
I've been using a Sportube for years now. I don't think I've used the velcro straps as I only have the single model. Also I only put the skis, poles and maybe a pair of gloves or winter hikers in the there. (They fit between the skis in the configuration.)

And Serfina, they worked for my Conquer's (84), we'll see about the Temptation's (88) after the weekend. I'm taking those to WB the week after next.

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had a SporTube for a number of years and have been very happy with it. It has traveled the world without damage. I can get two sets of race skis and 2 sets of poles in but those are sub 70 waist skis. They are a tight fit. With skis with race plates, the height of the box just barely makes it. Unless they have changed the design, I would be surprised if 2 80+ skis would fit and I have no idea about rocker. Tammy is 100% right on the learning curve.... in fact we seem to have to re-climb up the learning curve almost every time we use the tube - there is exactly one way all that stuff fits.

Jilly

Staff member
in fact we seem to have to re-climb up the learning curve almost every time we use the tub

Yah, using it once or twice a year - I kept the instruction sheet in the tube!

abc

Banned
The Series 2 Sportube is supposed to be able to carry 2 pairs of skis as well as 2 pairs of poles. I'm not so sure about this. Even with the brakes retained, I noticed that there wouldn't be a whole lot of room for another pair of skis. I think that if I were able to have put two pairs in there then there would not have been enough space for anything else. I'd be a little skeptical on some of the fatter powder skis fitting in there as well. On this trip I only packed one pair of skis (75mm underfoot) along with my poles, goggles, and a pair of ski pants.
Oh they'll fit fine. I managed to fit TWO pairs of skis into Series 1 tube!!! (1 semi-fatty + 1 carver)

Granted, I had to take the bindings off one of the pair (it's got "system bindings" you can easily take off and put back on with a screw driver). I put the pair without binding on the opposite side (the "open" side) so the 4 skis form a sort of "box". The poles are indeed more of the problem in that configuration since they need to go inside that 4 sided "box". When I took both my downhill and cross country setup (2 pairs of poles instead of 1), the skis fit in fine but it's a tight fit for BOTH pairs of poles. (now, I only buy new poles that has detachable baskets!)

In between the skis, I squeeze in a pair of (insulated) ski pants, a pair of extra gloves, extra sweater, hat (for xc skiing), my xc boots and a tube of sunscreen. I don't put any valuable items in there though (no goggle, not my "good gloves", not even socks 'cause they're kind of expensive to replace), because in more than 1 trip, the TSA people failed to secure the 2 halves of the tube together properly. So the loose items in there could easily fall out (mine didn't but it could).

Because both of my skis are twin tips, I didn't have the problem of the ends cutting into the padding. In fact, I was able to put stuff at the end of the tube without them being cut up by the ski tails.

abc

Banned
How wide are your twin tips, abc? Mine are 140-110-118.
We crossed in time when I edited my post.

To answer your question, the fatter of my twins are 82mm underfoot. Not sure about tip and tail. Those are park skis so not terribly big tip/tail. My guess less than 100. I'd say if I have 100+ skis, I probably won't be able to squeeze in that second pair.

With 100+ tip/tail, it won't fit on the narrow side of the box but should fit on the wide side (the box are not square but rather rectangular). You can look up their dimension online to double check.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Tammy: nice review!

I've been quite happy with my Sportube 2. Use it for trips out west with just one pair of my skis, plus other stuff, or for my skis and my daughter's when we go together. Also find it handy when we drive for local ski weekends. With the skis in the Sportube, it fits nicely down the middle of the mini van and other stuff can go on top. So we can easily take friends and have five people plus fit luggage and gear inside without having to put anything on top. Since I'm only 5'0", loading anything onto the roof of a minivan is worth avoiding.

Definitely a learning curve on how to pack. I remember paying close attention to someone who was packing up their Sportube in the Alta Lodge locker room before I bought mine. They wrapped the skis before putting them in. I'll do that when I pack them up at home. Mostly to cover the edges to keep them for cutting other stuff.

Most of the time we fly, TSA opens the Sportstube. I carry a spare locking clip after reading about people who got their Sportstube back without one.

Jilly

Staff member
I carry a spare locking clip after reading about people who got their Sportstube back without one.

That's a good idea, must get one. I've always had my sportube opened. So I don't bother to lock it! Since I only put ski, poles and maybe shoes in it, so what. You want my smelly hikers - take em!

abc

Banned
Most of the time we fly, TSA opens the Sportstube. I carry a spare locking clip after reading about people who got their Sportstube back without one.
Me! Me! Me!

It was on a trip to Aspen that I received my sportube minus the locking pin! :( I ended up threading a couple of lift ticket wickets to keep the tube in one piece on the way back! (worse, Aspen doesn't use wickets but fortunately I had a couple of them still hanging on my 2 jackets from previous trips).

Sportube charges $5 shipping for the $5 pin. Fortunately for me, one of the local ski shop carries them (remember to support your local shop!). So I bought 2 and now always keep the other one in my carry on bag.

In addition to carrying a spare pin, I now tie a little string to the pin and loop the string to the handle of the tube. It's my hope that it would help the TSA person to "find" the pin after they put everything back into the tube.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm sure I can find something similar at Brafasco. Right now I have to dig out the tube!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Sportube Series 2 as well, agree with Tammy - packing skis in was the hardest part. Also fitting sportube inside of the smallish Subaru Impreza is a bit of a challenge.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another SporTube 2 owner here. I pack my Kenjas or my Tierras with DH's Volkl Tigersharks. Tigershark system bindings are really tall and therefore a tight fit. I pack 2 pairs of poles. I have 2 NikNak packs that I put between the tips, top and bottom. I fill these with goggles, gloves, gaiters, and ski pants.

The SporTube bands are ok, but I prefer to wrap all with a 6" plastic stretch wrap that movers use to pack boxes. It makes a tight package that is easier to slip in and has never been bothered by TSA.

I had to buy replacement case pins this year. I found a good deal on ebags.com. If you keep checking the website, they often offer free shipping and 25-30% off. I also picked up a new pack of stretch and web bands from ebags.

I put a sign on the case that says: Attention TSA. Wire Pin MUST pass through both outer and inner rib to be secure. I also have an illustration that I snagged off the SporTube site.

sperks

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a single ski sports tube as it was the recommended bag by air Canada have used it 2 years running from flights from Australia to Canada
Have to confess prior to use the first time had to go back to ski shop as couldn't figure out how to get skis in ! Problem was the instructions with the elastic straps was stuck inside the tube ! Once the "young person " in the shop got it out and showed me how the skis went in no problems
As they say if all else fails read the instructions I just couldn't find the instructions !!!

Jilly

Staff member
recommended bag by air Canada

That's why I got mine. Air Canada makes you sign off any damage on a soft bag. They want only hard containers. And its the same for golf clubs!

Jilly

Staff member
Got my Temptation 88's in the single box!! One thing, they won't be rattling in there. It's tight, but they are in there.

anasky

Diva in Training
I will be flying with my sportube series 1 and put bubble wrap around the tips, bindings and tail. It fitted pretty nicely , won't make it heavier and does not move inside. To avoid losing the wire pin I decided not to use it but bought a TSA locker with sturdy longer curve to fit the holes. I will also attach it with a rubber band. But that way hopefully TSA know they have to put the locker back . I also will take off the handle as I read it is often missing afterwards. I also believe if you just use it for ski and poles and no other stuff , they can clearly see when they scan it and wont open it. There is nothing weird to look at. Everything suspicious looking comes in my personal item , so we deal with it in person with TSA. If it all works out like that we will see. I will update.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I will be flying with my sportube series 1 and put bubble wrap around the tips, bindings and tail. It fitted pretty nicely , won't make it heavier and does not move inside. To avoid losing the wire pin I decided not to use it but bought a TSA locker with sturdy longer curve to fit the holes. I will also attach it with a rubber band. But that way hopefully TSA know they have to put the locker back . I also will take off the handle as I read it is often missing afterwards. I also believe if you just use it for ski and poles and no other stuff , they can clearly see when they scan it and wont open it. There is nothing weird to look at. Everything suspicious looking comes in my personal item , so we deal with it in person with TSA. If it all works out like that we will see. I will update.

I don't bubble wrap anything, but only put skis and poles in my Sportube. I'm always worried if I stick other stuff inside it could get lost when opening/reassembling, so I just don't do it. Almost every time I've traveled with it I do have a sheet from TSA inside, so they do seem to open it quite often even though nothing else is in there. I've had no issue with the connector, they have always put it pack on. I like to think it helps that I have the instructions taped on and highlighted to draw their attention to it. I usually take my handle off, but have forgotten a couple of times and luckily it was still there when I got it back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna