• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Spinning vs. commuting

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From roughly April to November, I commute to work by bike a few times a week. More specifically, by Bixi bike, which for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, is our local bikeshare program. I don't own my own bike, but I use Bixi as a complement to public transit quite heavily during the season.

I'm a total fairweather cyclist, only go when it's nice out and not too hot, not too cold, etc. On average I'd say I cycle two mornings a week out of five to the office (~30 minutes in downtown traffic), plus a lot of shorter trips of 5-10 minutes for errands or going out and about.

Bixi bikes aren't the most elegant things in the world. They're built like tanks, so they're stable but they're also heavy as heck. They have nice wide cushy seats, only three gears, and are designed for stability over speed. The fact that you can take them from one station and dock them at another means I tend to do a lot of one-way downhill trips and use other lazier methods to get back uphill. I'm accustomed to biking in traffic, which means a lot of red lights, stops, and being on the lookout for crazy drivers. The bikes are also built so that you're sitting very upright, which gives you better visibility in traffic and which I also find much more comfortable. They're designed for commuters, not racers. I usually cycle in my work clothes or jeans or whatever I happen to be wearing. I've even biked to evenings out in a dress and heels.

All that to say... I recently signed up for a spinning class, as part of a fitness resolution and to try to stay in some semblance of cycling shape during the off-season. But I'm discovering that Bixi and spinning are two totally different animals. For one thing, the spinning bikes are modelled after road bikes, so they have a much more hunched-over position, which I'm realizing is hell on my back and on my, erm, lady parts (for lack of a more polite term). For another, they're made with those pedals where you're supposed to clip in special cycling shoes. I don't own special cycling shoes, so they have those baskets to put your feet in, but they're hurting my feet in my gym shoes.

I don't really want to invest in a whole bunch of gear just for an occasional exercise activity, but I don't want to injure myself either. For those of you who cycle a lot, any advice on how someone who usually only cycles to get from A to B can get more enjoyment out of a spinning class?

abc

Banned
Find a different gym that has a better spinning bike setup? Are the bikes adjustable?

Your discription of the spin bikes strikes me as everything we advice novice cyclist to AVOID!

The whole idea of road bike (curved dropped bars, clipped in pedal) are they needs to be fitted individually. Without proper fit, it can wreck your back, your genital, your arms/shoulders and worse, your knees!

So, if your spin instructor won't help you to figure out how to make those bikes comfortable... don't walk, RUN away as fast as you can!

altagirl

Staff member
Spin bikes should all be adjustable to make it reasonably comfortable for you. Also, wearing padded shorts will help with the saddles and I promise that you build up a tolerance for them after a while.

Get cycling shoes of some sort. That stiff sole will make a huge difference. Soft soled gym shoes just don't feel good on your feet pedaling, that's for sure.

https://www.theclymb.com/all/7439/cycle-365-cycle-footwear

They've got them as low as about $30 on sale... And because you're spinning indoors - you could go with a mountain bike or road bike shoe and it won't matter. The main difference is whether or not they have lugged soles for traction if you're walking on trails, and since you can just carry them into the spin room - buy whatever fits and is cheap! :smile:

altagirl

Staff member
Yeah, the bikes are adjustable, and the instructor did adjust it for me, but I guess I'm just not used to biking in that position, regardless. Does it get easier with time and practice?

My guess is that the instructor set it up for you in the traditional road bike position for fit. Tell them the next time that you'd like it more upright because your back is bothering you. They should be able to help fix that. Part of it you would likely adapt to over time, but there's no reason to be miserable.

abc

Banned
While shoes aren't that expensive, I'm very reluctant to suggest going that route unless I have reason to believe the pedal will be setup properly.

Spinning, unlike actual riding outside, tend to be more intensive. Without stop lights, and bumps on the road to distract you, you're 'fixed' on the bike for the duration of the session. Any poor posture or inproper fitting can very quicly amplify itself into injury.

It's the cycling's equivalent of running a with the wrong shoes. It only take a couple miles to wreck your knees.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is starting to sound like maybe it's more trouble than it's worth. I thought it would be a fun way to get some exercise and to stay in cycling shape over the winter, but I'm not really prepared to invest in a ton of specialized gear for what will likely only be a handful of classes from January to March. I really don't see myself using specialty cycling shoes on a Bixi; I tend to bike in sandals, boots or whatever footwear I happen to be wearing that day.

...Maybe it's better if I just stick to other activities instead. Hmmmm.

abc

Banned
I don't get why the spin bikes are setup in road bike configuration. (drop bar is to reduced wind resistance. But where's the wind in a gym?)

I really think you should try to check out another gym and see if they have a more friendly spin bike setup.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This one's just really close to home and convenient. I will go further away if I have to, but it means I'd likely go less often. (Motivation is NOT my strong suit when it comes to working out.)

And it's part of the local cycling club, which is probably why they're set up like that.

altagirl

Staff member
I guess I've never seen a spin bike that had pedals that would be comfortable without stiff soled shoes? Maybe that's just what I'm used to seeing though.

And yeah - I'm sure the standard configuration is assuming that's the way you're going to be riding a regular bike. You want to train your body for that activity so you want the setup to match what your normal position would be, at least as close as you can.

abc

Banned
And it's part of the local cycling club, which is probably why they're set up like that.
A different approach is to get a little bit more of the instructor's time to actually learn to ride properly? If the gym is part of the cycling club, I would think the instructor actually ride...

To ride in a road bike's configuration, you sit differently. Instead of sitting like you're on a couch or even a chair, you actually are laying face down on the top tube, if you can imagine that! So your pelvis is rotated forward... (padded shorts helps a lot).

To spin, it literally means THAT! So you don't push down on the pedal but spin your legs in circles. Now I'm not sure why it would hurt with soft shoes. After all, you should NOT be pushing down on the pedal!

That is, if you want to take the opportunity to get into cycling a little more seriously come summer...

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To spin, it literally means THAT! So you don't push down on the pedal but spin your legs in circles. Now I'm not sure why it would hurt with soft shoes. After all, you should NOT be pushing down on the pedal!

It's mostly that my feet get squashed in the basket of the pedals.

That is, if you want to take the opportunity to get into cycling a little more seriously come summer...

Yeah, you're right. Opportunity, not pain in the butt. (Or, a little of both?)

Jilly

Staff member
Spinning is a major work out! Commuting to work, unless it involves a lot of hills, is like a walk in the park compared to a spinning class. Spinning classes at our local Y woop my as@!

abc

Banned
It's mostly that my feet get squashed in the basket of the pedals.
If you don't want to bother with cycling shoes, try hiking boots next time? (better yet, if you have light trail running shoes)

Basically, you want some footwear that's a little stiffer to resist the squashing from that evil monster basket!

Yeah, you're right. Opportunity, not pain in the butt. (Or, a little of both?)
Padded shorts will do wonders for the latter. "unfortunately", it's one of those thing, once you've tried it, you never want to go back (to riding/spinning without)

So don't say we didn't warn you. :smile:

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Spinning is a major work out! Commuting to work, unless it involves a lot of hills, is like a walk in the park compared to a spinning class. Spinning classes at our local Y woop my as@!

Actually, other than the posture issues on the bike, I find spinning easier. Maybe it's 'cause the Bixi bikes are so bloody heavy, or because of changing outdoor weather conditions. In spin class I can turn the resistance down, but if I'm biking on a road that's even a little bit uphill I can't turn a dial to change it to magically change it to flat. Even the lowest gear on the Bixi is tough on uphills. There also aren't crazy taxi drivers, buses, trucks and cars disobeying traffic signals or causing me to swerve to avoid them in spin class.

If you don't want to bother with cycling shoes, try hiking boots next time? (better yet, if you have light trail running shoes). Basically, you want some footwear that's a little stiffer to resist the squashing from that evil monster basket!

I have hiking shoes but it never occurred to me to try them. I'll give them a go next time, thanks!

Padded shorts will do wonders for the latter. "unfortunately", it's one of those thing, once you've tried it, you never want to go back (to riding/spinning without). So don't say we didn't warn you. :smile:

Hey, I don't want to go back to skiing straight skis, either. If the technology really works wonders...

Thanks so much for all the great tips, ladies.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I go to a spinning class occasionally - not as often as I thought I would so I've cancelled my gym subscription once the current one runs out, I use normal gym trainers and don't have any problems. I bought padded shorts after the first class - makes a difference, even that I can do without it especially that during the class 50% of the time we are in the standing position. I've giving up commuting on my bike, it takes me 5 minutes only and too much hassle with getting changed etc. Only take it out in summer now to go for a ride with friends for couple of hours...

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did spinning classes for quite a while, so here's my experience:

Bike shoes make spinning easier and more fun, give you a better workout and really let you dig in, and they also made me feel more secure because they attached me to the bike. I bought the cheapest shoes that fit me that were on sale at REI; I figured that if I ever decided to put clipless pedals on my road bike I'd invest in something comfortable. I really recommend them, as well as gel padded bike shorts, which are incredibly cushy.

Try tilting the seat so the nose is pointing a little downward. Even with padded bike shorts and the seat adjusted correctly, my sit bones were always sore the first few times I rode after a break, but like I said, the gel stuff ids fantastic.

The adjustments on our spin bikes included moving the saddle up, down, forward, or back, and raising or lowering the handlebars and changing their tilt. They weren't actually handlebars; they were designed to be held in about a dozen different ways, from almost upright to laid out all the way forward.

I think showing up early to play with the bike's adjustments and to get the instructor's help might be the way to go. If you can't find a comfortable position for your back, though, just don't do it.

As for whether it's worth the hassle, I'll just say that the only other time in my life that I've had the cardio vascular fitness I got from spinning three times a week along with regular workouts was the summer I spent backpacking for long miles about six days out of every ten for four months. It helped that we had a crazy funny instructor who brought awesome mix tapes and had a ton of fun herself. Sadly, that woman's gym closed, bad form with weights aggravated my bilateral SLAP tears and I needed surgery on one of them, and I never got around to finding another facility.

altagirl

Staff member
And regarding the shoes and alignment if you're clipped in - show up good and early and ask the instructor for some help. Or even tell them the class before that you are planning to get shoes and basically make an appointment with them for some help. Especially if it's part of a cycling club, I'd be there are people with plenty of experience who can help you get them set up right. If you get discomfort in your knees, stop and adjust. But barring any alignment problems, being clipped in on a spin bike does make it much nicer. (Also FYI - being clipped in = using clipless pedals. It's kind of idiotic, but if you haven't heard that before it's important to clarify so you'd know what kind of shoes you're looking for. The pedals that you "click into into" are called clipless pedals. It has to do with the history of it... Also there are a lot of types of pedals out there, but I'd say with almost 100% certainty that all spin bikes use SPD pedals, so that's what kinds of cleats you'd need on the shoes. I know that sounds complicated, but it's not as bad as you'd think.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna