• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Speed Limits?

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SkiGirl was reviewing some skis she demoed today, and talked about one ski being slow, and one having a speed limit.

I know I've only been on a couple of skis, but how do you know that you've reached the top of the ski's capabilities?

Not that I think I want to go faster than I'm going - yet! (I still scare myself way too often!)

Kano

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In my experience, when I've skied higher speeds than a ski permits it has chattered and gotten quite squirrely.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ditto what num said, plus the ski will also start losing/breaking edge. It can be quite exhausting to keep a "pushed" ski going.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh crap. :wink:

That was all the reasons I didn't want the first skis anymore!

Time to start thinking about new skis!

Darn.

Rats.

Drat.

Seriously, I didn't expect to find out I'd outgrown these already. They still look new! They still feel new! I guess that means they were a pretty good choice, and helped me grow as a skier, then. Oh well. I'll just slow down a bit and work on getting out of that back seat and other skills. And demo now and then!

Hmm, could they be CAUSING some of the "form" problems I'm running into because I'm outgrowing them?

DH is going to wish I'd never found you ladies!

Kano

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hmm, could they be CAUSING some of the "form" problems I'm running into because I'm outgrowing them?
Yep. I had a similar revelation Friday night. DH and I did a ski switch for laughs. Well, I jumped on his and took off. (We happily have the same boot sole length.) Could not believe the edge hold on those things. :love: Didn't want to give 'em back.

It seems as though we tend to underestimate ourselves from time to time. Although sometimes a slow-down ski is a nice option (when out with learning friends, etc.) -- time for us to be "quiver queens??" :smile:

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Rossi I called slow was just that. It would not glide across the snow with any speed. It was an odd feeling and I could think of no better way to describe it.

The Fischer Exhale was a fun ski but when I asked it to go really fast it got a bit unstable. Again a hard feeling to describe just a bit unstable. I knew I had hit it's speed limit. Still a very fun and nice ski. :thumbsup:

Yes you can outgrow a ski. If you are feeling less than stable on your current skis at the speed you want to go then it may be time to move up.

I hope this helps.

abc

Banned
Mmm... time to test more skis? :smile:

All my skis are "soft" skis and by design are not "fast & stable" skis. I've never really had much strong desire to go really fast. But, being ALWAYS the last one down does suck! ...

altagirl

Staff member
Mmm... time to test more skis? :smile:

All my skis are "soft" skis and by design are not "fast & stable" skis. I've never really had much strong desire to go really fast. But, being ALWAYS the last one down does suck! ...

But if you're on skis that don't work well when you're going fast, maybe that's the reason you've never had a desire to go really fast! ;)

abc

Banned
Thanks altagirl. That same thought did occurred to me. :(

But it's a bit like whether a chicken or an egg comes first. One usually go after the gear one desire, not the other way aound...

And you're telling me to "build" a desire by getting the gear first!!!:wink:

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two things that helped me overcome fear of speed were experiencing my Volkl Attiva 5*s and doing a Nastar race (which I did on my 5*s). The Volkls like to go fast and are very stable at speed, a sensation I hadn't experienced until I first stepped onto these skis. Doing a relatively easy slalom-style race gave me something to focus on other than "ohmigoooooood, I'm going soooo fast... :eek: " because you look to the next gate to time your turns and you focus on staying in the tracks of the previous racers. When I finished the race the first time, it was such an adrenaline rush because I realized I skied fast (for me, anyway) and didn't try to slow down at all.

Having skis that can take the speed is a priority, otherwise you'll experience the instability and squrreliness, which just reinforces your fear of going fast.

altagirl

Staff member
Thanks altagirl. That same thought did occurred to me. :(

But it's a bit like whether a chicken or an egg comes first. One usually go after the gear one desire, not the other way aound...

And you're telling me to "build" a desire by getting the gear first!!!:wink:

The thing is - you don't HAVE to go fast on higher end skis. They will just be stable when you do.

I think it's something that gets ingrained because of the feedback you get from your gear. When going fast = wobbly, hard to control skis, you can't do anything BUT learn that going fast is scary. If you get on skis that are easy to control and nice and stable when you go fast, it isn't scary at all - except that you have to get over the past experiences that have given you negative feedback for going fast.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with Altagirls advice. Speaking from my personal experience, I had been skiing on 152cm Dynastar Exclusive Fire skis. Short, and with a really small turning radius. I did not like going fast on them because I felt unsafe and not in control.

Last season, my husband convinced me to try some longer lengths, as he thought it would help me. I tried several different lengths. I definitely felt more confident and stable on the longer lengths.

Now I still don't come even close to skiing as fast as my husband (well sometimes I can keep up - but I don't always like skiing that fast all the time) or some of the guys I ski with. But I definitely can ski faster and feel more comfortable.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to have my suspicions confirmed. I, too, am bouncing around on choppy snow at higher speeds. I wanted to think it was an ability issue and not a ski issue because I just got my current pair at the end of last season.

Oh well, sounds like an excuse to start demoing some new skis! I'm 5'5" and 125lbs and working on transitioning from advanced to expert- does 158 sound too short for me?

abc

Banned
The thing is - you don't HAVE to go fast on higher end skis. They will just be stable when you do.
Only one thing though, a stiff ski is more stable but it's harder to flex. Skiing bumps on a "stable" ski takes more work than on one with softer flex.

Plus, I just don't get the "rush" with speed. :confused: (hint: I'm one who drive BELOW the speed limit unless I'm truely in a hurry.:wink: )

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Two definitions of speed Limits:
1- A ski chatters or becomes unstable at speed
Most of the time, a review that talks about speed limit has to do with the instability of the ski at speed.

2- A ski is made to do something else and the technique of the skier, just can't get the extra umph out of the ski.
One recent experience I had with this was at Stowe with the Head Wild Thang. This ski was a great performer for the clinic, was awesome in the bumps, and had great stability in all the areas I asked it to perform. However, when I was skiing with Ty, I used every bit of skill I had to get on edge, transfer energy and motivate this ski but could NOT get it to GO FASTER. It never, ever lost its stability.

skieast21

Certified Ski Diva
Not to hijack this thread, but I just posted a thread looking for info about the Head Wild Thangs so I am curious as to what size you were skiing and what you usually ski, SnowHot?? Do you think that going longer would have helped to "get the extra umph" or do you think it's inherent to the ski?? Thank you for your help.

I have wondered about sort of maxing out a ski and if that would happen with me and the 150...multiple friends have encouraged me to get the 161 wild thang because they feel that if I got the 150 I would soon want the longer ski, but I am unsure if I would have the capabilities to really use up all that ski has because I am petite.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not to hijack this thread, but I just posted a thread looking for info about the Head Wild Thangs so I am curious as to what size you were skiing and what you usually ski, SnowHot?? Do you think that going longer would have helped to "get the extra umph" or do you think it's inherent to the ski?? Thank you for your help.

I have wondered about sort of maxing out a ski and if that would happen with me and the 150...multiple friends have encouraged me to get the 161 wild thang because they feel that if I got the 150 I would soon want the longer ski, but I am unsure if I would have the capabilities to really use up all that ski has because I am petite.
I'll post over there so as not to confuse the thread topics.
Glad to be of service.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreeing with Altagirl here:

I'll say it again,
volklgirl said:
After years of teaching and just general observing, I have a theory.

A vast majority of women stuck at the intermediate level who say 'I don't like to go fast' or 'I only like to ski blues and easy blacks' actually have the skills to both ski faster and try steeper terrain. However, their usually too-short and too-soft women's intermediate skis hardly inspire confidence at either, so they're stuck there because of their equipment, not because of their abilities.

As several Divas have discovered this year, a ski that's supposedly 'too much' may actually be just right. Only by trying them out can you know for sure

abc

Banned
I definitely like long skis, having comed from the "good old days". I do have the suspicion my current ski is on the short side. The only "other" problem I have is, I'm relatively light for my height, so flexing those longer or more "exert" planks is, well, WORK!

Also, what excites me isn't speed. It's technical intricacy such as bumps and soft snow. Longer and stiffer planks takes more to work in those conditions. A seperate "speedy" ski would solve that problem, of course. It's just such a low priority for me I probably won't ever take it out! :smile:

I'm still trying to find a HAPPIER compromise so I can have fun in the bumps and still not be the last one getting down the bottom.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ABC, you touched on a basic reason that its important to not be sold too short on a ski.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga