• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowbird, Alta Suggestions

I'm heading to Snowbird and Alta March 3-7 and am looking for suggestions for favorite trails, restaurants, terrain parks, anything you'd like to share. I'm an intermediate skier so much of Snowbird will be a challenge but I'm ready and willing to adventure! My DH is attending a conference at Snowbird and he's a snowboarder so I'll spend some of the time with him there as Alta is off limits for him. We won't have a car but my brother and SIL who will be out there promised to take me to Snowbasin one day if we can work out the driving arrangements. How long the drive is between Snowbird and Snowbasin in decent driving conditions?

Also, if any of your SLC Divas are interested in showing me around either mountain for an hour or two, it would be great to meet you. :smile: This will be our first time to Utah, we are staying in a spa room at the Cliff Lodge where the conference is being held.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I stayed at snowbird 2 yrs ago at the cliffs lodge, and ate sushi at the upstairs bar. it was surprising good considering I live in florida where sushi is a staple food:smile: I loved the whole canyon, but i am an advanced skiier. without a doubt you will have a great time:smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Snowbird is one of those places that has a free mountain tour. I took it a while back (over 10 years ago). Helped a lot to get a feel for things. I was pretty much an intermediate then. On straight skis with rear-entry boots. Had a good time the two days the group spent there, including one where it was snowing hard enough to make visibility an issue.

If hubby has meetings, maybe you can at least take the free bus over to Alta to check out the Sunnyside lift when it's free in the afternoon.

From Snowbird website:

How do I become familiar with Snowbird’s terrain??

Every morning at 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 the Snowbird Mountain Hosts lead a complimentary orientation tour of the mountain departing from the Plaza Deck. Depending on the weather conditions the tour will show all three drainages of Snowbird, how to easily get around the mountain, where all the important facilities are located, and the notable landmarks. The tours are aimed at the lower level intermediate through advanced skiers and riders.

koski

Certified Ski Diva
There are plenty of great intermediate runs at Snowbasin! Both resorts are beautiful!

I might have to try and meet you at Snowbird!

Miranda

Certified Ski Diva
I think Snowbird is somewhat steeper and more advanced overall than Alta, but you should find plenty of challenging blue runs there. I like the mineral basin side, it is a fun area with some wide open bowls to play on. You can also connect to Alta from that side. I prefer Alta's terrain somewhat to Snowbird, but they are both great.

Funny you should mention your snowboarder DH and Alta, I actually saw a snowboarder there last Sunday coming down a run. He was getting yelled at 'watch out for that guy, he's a snowboarder and can't control himself'! :laugh: Apparently they are allowed to be on the mountain, they just aren't permitted on the lift.

I am getting my new skis on March 4th, so I will be DYING to get up to ski that following weekend. I'll likely be at Alta on Sunday the 7th. I haven't been to Snowbasin yet but I hear it's really fun!

abc

Banned
I'm heading to Snowbird and Alta March 3-7 and am looking for suggestions for favorite trails, restaurants, terrain parks, anything you'd like to share. I'm an intermediate skier so much of Snowbird will be a challenge but I'm ready and willing to adventure!
I don't think Snowbird would be too challenging for you. When I first started going out there every year, I was also a timid intermediate. I went all over the mountain and didn't really get too worry about being over my head. I think Mineral Basin might be a little easier than Little Cloud. Both should be perfectly doable for even intermediates in good condition. Might want to stay off Little Cloud if it hadn't snowed for a while. The moguls do grow big between snow falls.

I like Alta more, then and now. There's a wide open intermediate level bowl you can enjoy yourself silly!

How long the drive is between Snowbird and Snowbasin in decent driving conditions?
From Salt Lake City, Snowbasin is a little over an hour. So add the Snowbird distance to it. Probably an hour and a half?

It's an intermediate heaven. Just stay away from the John Paul (?) lift (to the right of the gondola). The best part is probably Strawberry.

I'm not a local but I just did a week there 3 weeks ago. Sampled all of the mentioned places.

jeniferkate

Diva in Training
snowbird-

Hey-

I live in Ut, will probably be going to the Bird on Sunday, 7th. I'm intermediate. I would say Snowbird is very weather-dependent in terms of its difficulty, it gets very windy and stormy and difficult, and they do not groom it aggressively or sign it very well. My favorite run is Bananas, also like pretty much anything else off the Gad 2 lift.

If you are skiing sunday let me know if you want to meet up!

Thanks! I skied Bananas the other day, and loved the Gad 2 area. Today is my last ski day and I'm heading back to Alta, thanks though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga