• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snowbasin & Powder Mountian

AltaBird

Certified Ski Diva
I'm headed out to ski Utah in a few weeks. The past few years I've been skiing Alta and Snowbird. Ready to try Snowbasin and Powder Mountian. I'm wondering would it be better to stay in Ogden or a place closer to the ski areas?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The little hamlet of Eden does have affordable and very nice lodging available. The location is by far better than Ogden as it is minutes away from both ski areas and has almost no traffic. Shuttles run consistently throughout the day from the bigger condo complexes. Check out VRBO for Eden; you may be pleasantly surprised.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We stay at Lakeside Resort Properties and HIGHLY recommend them. They are the closest to Snowbasin. The Ogden Valley Business Association website has a lodging tab with (I think) all the local options on it.

I agree with badger, heading up the 39 every day from Ogden can be a real headache, especially if there's a good dump going on or if ice forms.

When will you be there? We are there Feb. 12-18.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks, for the info. I will be there Feb. 5-12.

I'll be in the SLC area Feb. 8-14. Planning on skiing Powder Mountain on the weekend, Feb. 12-13. Perhaps a day at Power and a day at Snowbasin. Meeting up with a few friends, including one who skis the SLC area often.

Where are you likely to ski Feb. 8-10? Those days it will be just me and my ski buddy, JC, who some Divas met at Diva Week in Tahoe last season. Most likely we will be at PCMR or Canyons the first afternoon for free skiing. Then a couple days at Alta since JC has never been.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a heads-up, the finals of the Dew Tour are at Snowbasin Feb. 10-13. Parking could be tough, so if you can get a shuttle all the better. I think there are links on their website about the shuttles for the event from Ogden. Or get there early (by 8 AM) for parking, and have breakfast in the Cinnabar Lounge (they do a buffet on weekends from 8-11 AM). They've said that during the event last year, the mountain itself wasn't crowded for skiing - it was just busy at the base where the Superpipe and jumps are. Our first day is the 13th - our son wants to try to get Shaun White's autograph so we'll take the shuttle up from the condo.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just a heads-up, the finals of the Dew Tour are at Snowbasin Feb. 10-13. Parking could be tough, so if you can get a shuttle all the better. I think there are links on their website about the shuttles for the event from Ogden. Or get there early (by 8 AM) for parking, and have breakfast in the Cinnabar Lounge (they do a buffet on weekends from 8-11 AM). They've said that during the event last year, the mountain itself wasn't crowded for skiing - it was just busy at the base where the Superpipe and jumps are. Our first day is the 13th - our son wants to try to get Shaun White's autograph so we'll take the shuttle up from the condo.

Thanks for the tip. We're staying in SLC. I'd noticed the Dew Championships but hadn't thought about the parking issue. JC learned at Tahoe that I'm a firm believer in arriving early, especially when going somewhere new.

AltaBird

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for all the replies. I've had a change of plans. My ski buddy is sick so I'm going solo and decided to stay in the Park City area instead. Haven't skied there in 20+ years so it will be all new to me again. Not sure what areas I'm going to ski on any days. Just go with the flow I suppose. I debating on renting a car. The place I'm staying at is on the ski bus shuttle, a bit before you get to the Canyons. Any suggestions form the Park City ladies...will I need a car? If I have a car how will the parking be at the ski areas? Crowded...long walk to lifts? I hate to carry my equiptment very far. I'm also thinking if I had a car I could drive to Powder Mtn. and Snowbasin. Would that be a lot of driving in one day. I know the distances but not the roads. Thanks!

altagirl

Staff member
The road isn't bad at all getting up to Snowbasin - I've never driven there from PC, but you're just adding in some interstate, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I've never used the bus system up there, but from where I've seen the bus stops, they are right in front of the lodges at most of the resorts, so I think you SHOULD be carrying your gear less distance from the bus stop than you would from a regular parking spot. Maybe someone else has used it personally and can confirm. But my understanding is that the whole PC area has very user friendly public transportation. We have friends in the area whose kids have no interest in getting a drivers license (!!!) because they don't feel like they need to drive when they can just take the bus. Must be good!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To get to Snowbasin from PC is pretty easy. Get on I-80 East to I-84 West. Get off at the Mountain Green/Trapper's Loop (HWY 167)exit. Follow it around and you will see signs pointing you in the right direction to the resorts. At least a lot of it is on the Interstates, not going up the canyon like you do from Odgen.

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, we stayed in Huntsville UT two years ago when we skied Snowbasin. Huntsville is only 6 miles from Snowbasin and we stayed at some new condos. I am sorry but I don't remember the name, but they were pretty much the only new condos in town. They were really nice, hot tub on deck, good kitchen, clean, w/d. We also got a $100 Snowbasin gift card for booking! You might try google and see what you find. Haven't been to Powdermountain. If you do stay in Huntsville, best groceries are in Ogden. Also, get reduced tix prices at Smith's in Ogden. I am curious to hear what you think about Snowbasin! Have fun!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah. Also make time for the obligatory stop at the Shooting Star Saloon in Huntsville for their burgers!:drool:

AltaBird

Certified Ski Diva
Well it looks like I will have to wait until next year. I was hiking Sunday, slipped on an icy step and fractured my tibia :( Thanks to all the Divas for their advice. Ski some runs for me.

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well it looks like I will have to wait until next year. I was hiking Sunday, slipped on an icy step and fractured my tibia :( Thanks to all the Divas for their advice. Ski some runs for me.

This is not the sort of post we like to read. I am so sorry! I hope you mend quickly and have a bit of ski season left in the spring. So sorry!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna