• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Snow types

newboots

Angel Diva
I’ve been reading about “dry” Western snow, Sierra cement, and other varieties of snow. I think I can imagine powder that lasts - dry - but what is Sierra cement? Is it heavier because it’s wetter? If so, how is it different from Eastern (non-powder) snow?

I want to get out West to try your famous powder. But mostly I want to get on a mountain and ski!

My new skis had their bindings mounted today and they are resting comfortably in the Blizzard Memorial Basement with dear BF’s skis.

BDC4C90B-3FF3-42E5-A623-25717EDEDF21.jpeg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yep Sierra Cement is heavy because of the high moisture content. When storms come in by the time they get to the Rockies most of the moisture is out and is significantly drier. Usually in Tahoe when temps are higher and it is snowing the snowfall is heavy and wet and hard to push through....
When snow is dry as in Steamboat and/or many areas in Utah you can float easily.... does that make sense? So Sierra Cement is not ideal but it's mostly what we get.....

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think Sierra Cement is like east coast powder. I grew up skiing in the East where when it snows a lot the stuff is HEAVY. I was never a fan of powder in the east especially when it was in the range over 6". I was in Mammoth (the hoe of Sierra Cement) during a storm back in 2005 or so and it was similar, heavy and hard to ski in. I should clarify that I didn't have the right skis for it (short narrow waist skis) but really struggled to keep my tips up. I don't have a lot of experience in west coast powder, in fact since I have had my skis with a 98mm waist I haven't had a true west coast powder day so maybe I'm totally wrong.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"GACK" comes to mind when I think of Wet Western snow and Eastern wet powder. When you're in it it's just Gack.
It looks good but is hard to ski. Western powder is Lovely!! It billows around you when you ski, it's like floating on a cloud, even Western Packed powder is SO Soft, in the East we are always "on edge" the base is always Firm, out west you sink in if you edge to hard, you use less effort (IMHO) out west. We occasionally get nice powder in the east but it is usually good for about 1-3hrs then it turns to gack.

@newboots your skis look lovely, you will have a ball on them!!

newboots

Angel Diva
Okay, this is helpful @nopoleskier. I know when we have deep snow that's wetter, it's extremely hard to ski. I also find soft powder difficult to ski, but I've only tried it twice as a rank beginner - we don't get that many opportunities!

One of these days I'll be trying that dry powder out west! Still finding the challenges I need right here.

Christy

Angel Diva
Keep in mind that moisture content can vary even within the same place. The time I went to Steamboat temps were right around freezing so the snow that fell was very heavy. I've had very heavy leg breaker snow in Whistler but also very nice light dry snow. Here in the PNW it's all about what temperature it is when it snows. If it's snowing and colder-- less than 25°, but especially if it's down around 20 or so-- it's going to be some really lovely light snow. But if temps are around freezing and the forecast calls for a lot of snow, you know it's going to be really heavy.

The only place outside the PNW where I've had good snowy days when traveling is Sun Valley, and the snow there doesn't feel any different to me than it does here.

In general you need to be really lucky to travel and get a bona fide powder day. Even in places that are famous for it, it really doesn't happen that much.

mustski

Angel Diva
The best way to find powder is to travel at the last minute when the storm is fairly certain. Then fly in a day ahead of the storm. My powder experience is quite limited because of picky, picky bosses who expect me to show up for work EVERY day. The light, fluffy powder is much easier to ski that the Sierra Cement.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Western 'powder' seems to last all day, Eastern powder turns to gack quickly..
I've been lucky and had super nice powder days on my trips West. (hope I didn't jinx myself)
that said since they are far and few between in the East I am not picky when I get 6 or more inches out west.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Western 'powder' seems to last all day, Eastern powder turns to gack quickly..
I've been lucky and had super nice powder days on my trips West. (hope I didn't jinx myself)
that said since they are far and few between in the East I am not picky when I get 6 or more inches out west.
Also helps to have a local show you where the powder lingers in the trees. @dloveski did that for me and my friends at Brighton. Of course, during late season at Alta fresh powder sometimes only lasts for a morning. I've skied powder > 6 inches pretty much every late season trip since 2008. Extended a few of the trips with my daughter (in elementary school) for a couple days just to catch a powder storm. :becky:

Can also get lucky in the northeast. I did a little ski safari to northern VT a few years ago. Pico, Sugarbush, and MRG starting on a Monday. It had snowed Sunday afternoon/night and stayed cold. I certainly wasn't expecting powder in Pico trees or soft powder bumps at Sugarbush when I planned the trip. But I had flexibility since I was driving. Opted to go farther north to avoid a snowstorm in southern VT because I didn't want to be driving on roads with too much snow in a minivan that was not set up for winter driving.

Sugarbush 03Mar2015, random skier on soft bumps with cold snow
Sugarbush 03Mar2015 -3.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna