• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Snow Report Jargon?

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I have noticed that this year the Mount Snow snow report keeps saying they are “touching up” x number of trails. I don’t recall them using those words last year. Is this code for not doing a complete and thorough grooming job? It sounds really odd to me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Never been to Mt. Snow. But in the southeast when a trail needs help, it's not a matter of grooming. It's a matter of having the snow guns on during open hours when it's cold enough. Not likely to be cold enough all day, but could be for an hour or two in the morning.

I've ridden in a groomer out west. The operator was in his first season and was happy to chat. He was from central NY state. My impression about grooming and the people who do the job is that they take pride in what they do. For sure the supervisors are well aware if there is a consistent issue. Weather plays a role in how many passes can be done during a given grooming session. During late season when the temperature varies a lot, I've seen groomers out immediately after the lifts close. At other times they are grooming practically up until lifts open in the morning. Most of the time, grooming is done in the dark. There are usually shifts, one starts around 4pm and another in the middle of the night.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I may have told this story before, so forgive me.... Some years ago I was skiing at Big White in BC, known for its champagne powder. But on this particular day conditions were pretty "eastern" - you might even call it icy. I was on the chair and the follow on the lift with me asked how I liked the conditions. I replied that I wasn't impressed - this is what I ski on at home. Oh, he said. Turns out he worked there and had spent all night grooming. Ooops.

NYSnowflake

Angel Diva
I may have told this story before, so forgive me.... Some years ago I was skiing at Big White in BC, known for its champagne powder. But on this particular day conditions were pretty "eastern" - you might even call it icy. I was on the chair and the follow on the lift with me asked how I liked the conditions. I replied that I wasn't impressed - this is what I ski on at home. Oh, he said. Turns out he worked there and had spent all night grooming. Ooops.
Oh whoops!!

I’ve been kind of wondering if they’re saying “touched up” for grooming this week because there was a significant thaw. Maybe when the snow is so melty they can’t really run the groomers over it as much as they would otherwise?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Oh whoops!!

I’ve been kind of wondering if they’re saying “touched up” for grooming this week because there was a significant thaw. Maybe when the snow is so melty they can’t really run the groomers over it as much as they would otherwise?
Yep, when it's too warm even overnight that means grooming can't happen. One Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago Sunday River was open but it was very warm. They had managed to made just enough snow on a couple trails normally used for the Demo Day. Had to ride in a gondola cabin on the chondola from the base just to reach snow that led to the open lift on that peak. However, it was made very clear that there had be NO grooming before Sat morning. Not only too soft, not nearly deep enough. The comment I heard or read at some point was that a groomer would've ended up stuck in mud had it tried to be on the mountain. Normally one trail is a blue groomer. That day it was completely ungroomed terrain. It was not a day for cautious intermediates to venture out. My plans to ski that weekend with my daughter had been made well in advance, and I was interested in demo'ing. So we went skiing any way. But we didn't bother to ski again on Sunday before driving back to Boston.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yep, when it's too warm even overnight that means grooming can't happen. One Thanksgiving weekend a few years ago Sunday River was open but it was very warm. They had managed to made just enough snow on a couple trails normally used for the Demo Day. Had to ride in a gondola cabin on the chondola from the base just to reach snow that led to the open lift on that peak. However, it was made very clear that there had be NO grooming before Sat morning. Not only too soft, not nearly deep enough. The comment I heard or read at some point was that a groomer would've ended up stuck in mud had it tried to be on the mountain. Normally one trail is a blue groomer. That day it was completely ungroomed terrain. It was not a day for cautious intermediates to venture out. My plans to ski that weekend with my daughter had been made well in advance, and I was interested in demo'ing. So we went skiing any way. But we didn't bother to ski again on Sunday before driving back to Boston.

Luckily not the case this year for tomorrow’s demo! :clap: Snow was awesome today.

echo_VT

Angel Diva

Aw I feel so bad for him and the folks that work hard at making sure the slopes are in good condition for the skiing public. Hope he didn’t take it too hard

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Aw I feel so bad for him and the folks that work hard at making sure the slopes are in good condition for the skiing public. Hope he didn’t take it too hard

Yeah, I felt so sorry. I'll never make a comment like that again unless I am SURE the person has not been the one grooming the hills!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna