• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Small feet and finding good boots

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello all. My first post here and one reason I decided to join in is my need for new boots. I have begun the research.
Living in Indiana, with limited access to good boot shops, I have a very difficult time finding boots to fit my size 5 foot. Kids boots have been mentioned by some people, but I don't want to waste money on boots that are not what I need or that won't last.
Although I am a very small person my calves are low and on the thick side, so I need a boot that will fit or can be adjusted to fit my calves. My heels are narrow and toe area is relatively wide. On top of that, due to some major health issues in the past 5 years, I know my feet have changed from when I bought my last boots.
Anyone with small feet, who has some suggestions or experience with recent boot fitting and buying, I welcome all input, please!
My current boots are 11 yr. old Solomons. I bought them in Tahoe, had them fitted and footbeds made. They are packed out, some recent, simple, cheap adjustments have been made, but they are beyond help. They have served me well and will have to do until the end of this season. I have no plans to go to the mountains for a ski trip, unless I take a trip to Oregon to visit my brother.
Forgive the long post please. Thanks for any input. :help:

Christy

Angel Diva
There's a recent thread about junior race boots that you might find interesting. If there are no good boot shops where you live I don't see how you can avoid traveling to buy them. If you're just looking for something to get you through the end of the season I would rent rather than potentially waste money on boots you ordered online that might not work.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the welcome and all input. For sure, boots are so important and personal. That is the main reason for taking in all info I can get an not making a rash decision. My old Salomons will do for the remainder of the season, since I have no plans to take a mountain ski trip this year, unless it is to Oregon, where I also have the pleasure of visiting my brother and family. If that is the case, I am sure I can find a boot shop out there. I could order some, based on information from other people and reviews, then have them fitted. It seems risky, but something to think about.
I'm sure I was not really meant to be born in Indiana or to live here forever!

Liskier

Certified Ski Diva
Hi! I have the opposite problem, giant feet, but I took a chance and ordered full tilt Mary janes online from evo because they were the only women's boot I could in in a 28 and they seemed to have great reviews. Anyway maybe they also make smaller sizes, I love it, I can't stop raving. But as others note buying boots is not a simple thing. Just throwing it out there that I took a chance on something online (since I could return) and I'm SO happy I did.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you. Even though it's the opposite of me, it is encouraging to hear that it is possible to find boots online and being able to return them is an option. I believe I may end up doing that and then taking them to a bootfitter for any further adjustments that might be needed.
I had ACL surgery a few months before I bought my last boots and had them fitted. It made a huge difference balancing my stance. There are fitters not too far away, but from what I have heard, most shops don't carry mondo 22 in many boots, if any, so I could travel and not even have anything to choose from after getting to other shops.
It's a big hunk of cash to shell out, as we all know, so if I'm going to get boots, I want them to fit and I want good ones, like my last boots.
Let the search begin.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I echo what Christy said about Jr. Race boot threads here. I ski in Jr. Race boots b/c I have small, flat, and very low volume feet. Sometimes you can get a really good deal on last year's models. Good luck.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
The news Snowhot posted about next year's Dalbellos going down to mondo size 21 might be encouraging for you.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You all have given me some things to think about. Mondo 21? Yes!
Jr. race boots are a good option too. I'll find the article about them and see what it has to say. Getting a good deal on anything is always a plus too! Looking for new ski gear can be a challenge, but it's so much fun when that perfect item is found. I will succeed.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck with your boot purchase. Just wanted to chime in that I also have a size 5 foot and currently use junior race boots. I had two different pairs of women's boots prior to this and something just never felt quite right (although the first pair was really warm) with them.

kaitlin

Diva in Training
I have size 3 jr race boots too that are getting old. I love the way they perform but they do not keep my feet warm at all, even with boot heaters on some days.
I heard encouraging news from the midwest lange rep last week, they are making women's low volume boots in size 21 next year, something I will probably try.
Has anyone tried the viva inferno fling or crush in size 5? my question is what size the BSL is

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've decided to buy new skis, since I want some:D and rather than take any chances ordering boots, I'll take a trip to Oregon, visit my brother and family, check out some boot shops and hope I can find some there. If not, it has to be better to try on some different boots and get a feel for what brands fit best on my feet, so if it does come down to doing the online route, I can do it with some solid information. My old Salomon x wave 9.0s will do for the remainder of ski season here.
It's sooooo easy to make a wrong decision and as we all know, ski boot purchases should never be rushed. Besides, I love going to visit my brother and can get some snowshoeing in, which I never can do here in Indiana. :dance:
Thanks for all of your views and information. Getting different points of view probably helped keep me from doing the wrong thing.

littlestix

Certified Ski Diva
I'm in Indiana too!!! Where do you normally ski? REI is going to open a store sometime in March in the Castleton area. Perhaps they can be of some help with your boots.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi littlestix, I go to Perfect North most of the time. My daughter and son in law live in the area, so I have a place to camp out for a few days just 10 min. from PNS. I have heard about the Castleton store coming soon! I wonder though how their ski gear stock will be at that time though? With any luck by next season they will be carrying a good supply. Please REI Castleton, make my life easier!! To be honest though, I had not thought about the fact they may be a good source, if I wait until next season's stock arrives. Hmmm... Thanks for the reminder.

littlestix

Certified Ski Diva
I go to Perfect North too,in fact I'm going tomorrow. We live in Indpls. and just make the drive there and back,every now & then I'll get a room & stay the night. I'm excited about the REI and hope that it will be a good source for skiing supplies. It's tough to find stuff around here.

B

B.E.G.

Another vote for checking out junior race boots. I have a shoe size that ranges from size 3 (in pumps) to 5 (for sneakers) and there was no way any adult woman's boot was going to fit. Found jr race boots and voila - awesome.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I go to Perfect North too,in fact I'm going tomorrow. We live in Indpls. and just make the drive there and back,every now & then I'll get a room & stay the night. I'm excited about the REI and hope that it will be a good source for skiing supplies. It's tough to find stuff around here.

:laugh: I'm a "former" Perfect North skier. I'm orginally from Cincinnati, grew up near PNS and skied there once a week until I moved to Colorado. Many of my friends still ski and race with the OVSC there. I'm a size 22 and I know how hard it is is to buy boots that small in your area. Even here they are hard to find. Maybe a shop in the Dayton or Columbus area could help you.

I love my Head Dream One boots. I do need a Superfeet Berry insole to make them fit better. Jr. boots don't work well for me because of my high instep. Hopefully more companies will start making size 21.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some interesting information Little Lightening. Thanks! I have a very high instep and wouldn't have thought about that possibly being a problem with jr racing boots.
The boot guy at PNS did give me the names of a couple of shops in Dayton. I find it odd that there are shops there and not in Cincinnati. I haven't called either of them yet, but may try next week. It can't hurt to see if they have something I can try.
Lucky you, moving to Colorado!:clap: I try not to complain too much about living here and tell myself to be thankful that there is at least someplace to ski. They do a nice job with the place and this year has been a real challenge, with the warm temps and lack of real snowfall.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga