• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Skis for my girls

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Would this be a reasonable ski for a 6/7 year old that skis blue runs in the Rocky Mountains? https://www.rossignol.com/int-en/ro...-kid-x-skis-alpine-ragjc02-000-2017-2018.html I can get that model for an additional 25% off the sale price until tonight.The K2 Luv Bug is also an option if it is any better for her? She's 48 pounds and 48.25" tall, small framed and thin.

Also, for my 12 year old, who skis blues and easy blacks in the Rocky Mountains, does she need women's skis and women's boots now? Or should she still be using junior? Last year she had the K2 Missy skis and Rossignol Fun Junior boot.

Jilly

Staff member
YES on the Temptation pros...

Now the older one..weight and height? What boot is she in? A junior boot or an adult boot?

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks, I will order those Temptation pros for the little one then!

The older one is 61.5" and 94 pounds. She's in a junior boot right now but they are too small for her now. So she needs boots and skis.

If womens ski will work, until 2am EST, I can get additional sale on anything on this page https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/alpine-skiing/ski-packages.html#preselectedBrandsNumber=0&preselectedCategoriesNumber=3&q1=Gear&q2=Alpine+Skiing&q3=Skis+++Bindings&q4=Women&sort=price&x1=c.category-level-1&x2=c.category-level-2&x3=c.category-level-3&x4=gender&lastVisibleProductNumber=4

I'd like to stick to a ski that is priced under $350 on that page if at all possible, assuming any of them would work for her.

I have Atomic Hawx 80's that are slightly too short for my feet that I could pass down to her if they fit her (her feet are a bit smaller). Maybe too stiff for her though? and then get myself a pair that fit better. She is a better skier than me, but she is also lighter and shorter.

Last edited:

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Well they are out of 110's for the little one, are 116's too long? They also have 104's but she has 100's from last season and they are quite short on her so 4cm doesn't seem like enough of a jump.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well they are out of 110's for the little one, are 116's too long? They also have 104's but she has 100's from last season and they are quite short on her so 4cm doesn't seem like enough of a jump.
Depends on the personality of your little one. When I bought skis for my daughter, she was just a little older since we did a season lease for a couple years after the she skiing blue runs at Massanutten (northern VA). I bought skis that were at her forehead. The first day was an adjustment, but by the afternoon she was fine. Next day she usually went to ski school for the day or at least had a group lesson. That way we got two years out of the skis we bought when she was 8-12 while she was growing significantly.

A story . . . during early season (week before Christmas) at Massanutten I was getting DD started for a group lesson for Adv. Beginners/Intermediates. The ski school supervisor commented that the skis were awfully long. Had her take them off so he could stand one up next to her. I noted that she'd skied them fine on the blacks (would be blue at a big mountain) the day before. I wasn't in my ski boots and it's pretty common that parents (or grandparents) at our home hill are not skiers at all. He asked DD to put her skis on and do a few turns in the teaching area. She executed a sequence of very nice parallel turns that were quite rounded. He looked at me a bit differently and then got on the radio and said "the little hot shot" would be solo with E, who turned out to be his wife and one of the most experienced instructors (25+ years). DD had a great solo lesson. DD started at 4 and when she was 7, I took her to Alta for her first spring break trip. At Alta Ski School she went from Level 5 to 6 (out of 9) and was skiing blues after the first day of ski school. We bought her first ski gear at a ski swap in the next fall. I knew she was completely hooked on skiing in spite of living in the southeast. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
The Famous would be a step up for the older one.

Where are you skiing? Alberta or BC?

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
The Famous would be a step up for the older one.

Where are you skiing? Alberta or BC?

Most likely Alberta (Marmot most likely, slight chance we could be at Sunshine). Kimberley is a possibility in B.C. but much higher chance we’d be at the other two.

I grabbed the Temptation 77 from 16/17 (the coral and really dark blue pair) last night just so I could snag something from the sale. I can cancel them or return them after they arrive though. I’ve missed the sale to snag the Famous, but could pay the full price or wait to see if they’re still around when another sale comes up.

The Famous 2 or 4? I think they had both.

Jilly

Staff member
Both are entry level adult skis. Probably the 4 would be better for her. A slight bit stiffer. Have you check Asogear and Monod's?

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
I think the 116's will likely be okay for the little one then. She's not timid and she often complains about going too slow. And she'll get practice at our local hills and has another 3.5 months to grow before we are in the mountains. :smile: I'd love to get this season and next out of them. If she can make 2 years with them, hopefully she'll fit the hand me down Missys afterwards.

Both are entry level adult skis. Probably the 4 would be better for her. A slight bit stiffer. Have you check Asogear and Monod's?

I did. Asogear had some Dynastar Glory 75, 149cm, not sure if those are the right type of ski for her? They were $40 more than on another site though, but the cheaper site didn't have 149cm. And about $90 more than what I got the Temptations for. That being said, if the Temptations aren't the right ski for her, it doesn't much matter what kind of deal I got. LOL

marzNC

Angel Diva
Asogear had some Dynastar Glory 75, 149cm, not sure if those are the right type of ski for her?
For what it's worth as you consider length, I liked the Dynastar Glory 84 I demo'd @156 a couple years ago. I'm 5'0', 112 lbs. Generally have liked Dynastar skis that I've demo'd. But my current narrow skis are Head Absolut Joys @149cm that are 78 underfoot.

A while back I bought a used pair of Volkl Attiva AC1 2009, 149cm, 116/70/103, R12.2 as a potential pair of "next skis" for my daughter when she outgrew some Rossi Fun Girl 2010 @140. Got them from the same father who sold me the Fun Girls. His daughter was just ahead of mine in terms of growth. I also skied the AC1s and they were a good length for hard pack groomers.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
For what it's worth as you consider length, I liked the Dynastar Glory 84 I demo'd @156 a couple years ago. I'm 5'0', 112 lbs. Generally have liked Dynastar skis that I've demo'd. But my current narrow skis are Head Absolut Joys @149cm that are 78 underfoot.

A while back I bought a used pair of Volkl Attiva AC1 2009, 149cm, 116/70/103, R12.2 as a potential pair of "next skis" for my daughter when she outgrew some Rossi Fun Girl 2010 @140. Got them from the same father who sold me the Fun Girls. His daughter was just ahead of mine in terms of growth. I also skied the AC1s and they were a good length for hard pack groomers.

Thanks. The 152s may make sense for her then if we keep the Temptations I ordered. For the Temptations, Rossi's site says height-5cm for intermediate level. So that's about right on. She's still light though so maybe should have something a bit shorter, but she should also be taller and perhaps heavier by the time she actually gets to use them.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Our 13 year old is in women's boots and skis. She skis a Rossi Smash 7, and her boots are Salomons - can't remember the name, but they have 80 flex. The Rossi Smash is perfect for Alberta - its fine on groomers, and can pretty much handle anything else. She went from junior skis (K2 Shreditor Jr) and junior boots to women's skis and boots seamlessly. We've just erred on the side of softer skis.

if you're looking for deals too, Sundance in Edmonton always has great clearance skis on their website, and you can either have them shipped to your place, or pick them up on the way to Marmot. Theyve got a bunch of the head joy series on massive discount. They've got the Nordica Soul Rider junior with bindings for $229 - which is a great ski. A bunch of Salomon junior skis with bindings for $160 - its the QST Lux Jr, which should also be really good.

https://sundanceskishop.getpayd.com...begin=1&nhit=64&order_by=1&dir=asc&cat=244810

The Rossi Smash, which is a legit ski for your 12 year old is not on sale, but $399 with bindings. you may want to consider this for next year - as they come on sale for a massive discount every August at Sundance (we got it for $200 with bindings, which is crazy good for basically an almost adult ski).

https://sundanceskishop.getpayd.com/catalog/9988925/rossignol-ski-smash-7-incl-bindings

if she likes more girly colours, there's also the Rossi Sassy which is the exact same ski and it looks like its on sale now with bindings for $249:

https://sundanceskishop.getpayd.com/catalog/8885671/rossignol-sassy-7

Let me know when you're at Marmot - we'll be there after new years for 4 days and in March for AB March break!

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks @Albertan ski girl! The QST Lux Jr is what the little one has right now and she liked them. I got the Temptation Pros for $135 so if they are comparable to the Salomon's, I'll stick with them for the price. But if she'd be better off with a different ski, I'm willing to spend more.

The Joys are only available in 127cm and the Soul Rider in 128cm. Both too long for my little one and too short for the older one.

The Smash and the Sassy both interest me. The Sassy link doesn't show bindings and doesn't indicate it in the description? With bindings, it interests me. Without bindings is a pain as we only have one local shop for binding installation/adjustment (other than Sport Chek) and we were treated poorly there when buying skis a couple years ago so we won't go back. We will be skiing around here prior to heading to the mountains, so I will need bindings installed and adjusted prior.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
The Smash and Sassy bindings are pre-mounted by Sundance. They are system bindings so they are adjustable for a growing kid, which was very interesting to us :smile: Both our DS (15 yrs old) and DD (13 now) ski the Smash. If the bindings are pre-mounted, it's easy for you to go to Sportchek and get them just adjusted according to the boot size and the child's weight.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! So the Smash and Sassy use women's boots and not junior boots? (as I scope web sites for boot deals)

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Thanks! So the Smash and Sassy use women's boots and not junior boots? (as I scope web sites for boot deals)

Yup - we have adult boots on both kids for those.

I'm not sure what your local Sport chek is like - but we've gotten a number of good boots there for the kids. We go this time of year, and they will have drastically reduced boots from last season. We just got DS his first pair of fitted boots last year from Sundance, but DD is still in her Sportchek Salomons, and the boots they have are really not terrible.

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Well the Temptation 77's got cancelled from my order as they said they couldn't find them in the warehouse. So, I've ordered Sassy 7's with Look Xpress system bindings from a shop in Quebec for the older one. And the Temptation Pros and Rossignol Comp 3 boots have already arrived for the little one. Now to track down boots for the kid with the Sassy skis!

SkiMauw

Certified Ski Diva
Quebec? Altitude Sports?

No. It’s called Jacque-Champoux. I hadn’t heard of it until I stumbled on it today. I will say I was surprised at how quickly they moved. I got an order receipt immediately, a few minutes later an email saying the order was now confirmed and would be shipping soon, and then maybe an hour later I got an email saying it had shipped (I assume just packed up and the tracking # since it’s a weekend). And one of the emails had even said orders take up to 3 business days to process and mentioned Saturday and Sunday weren’t business days. So I wasn’t expecting the speed I received.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga