• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skis for my BF?

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Divas, hopefully you can help me out here! So, the BF has now gone skiing with me 3 times. He's progressing OK, and last skied on 160s. However, I'm not a good teacher and he is kind of easily frustrated, so he really needs to keep taking lessons. Unfortunately, with rental and lift ticket, that adds up REAL fast. Plus, he'll be coming on at least 2 ski weekends before the end of the season at Okemo and Killington, so that's 4 days of rentals there. Plus, just the ease of owning versus renting is nice. His birthday is coming up March 1, so I was thinking of buying him a pair of inexpensive skis, and hoping we can find a boot that'll work for him (at least for the remainder of this season) without spending too much. Up until the rear-entry Head's he got at Crotched Mountain, he's been comfortable and warm in the other Head boots he rented from Wachusett and Ragged ("can we take the rental equipment from Ragged if we got o Crotched again??"). He wears a 12.5/13 shoe and they've had him in 29.5.

Anyway, I was browsing on Level Nine Sports, and came across these, and was wondering if they might work for him https://www.levelninesports.com/head-monster-skis-170cm-p-4721.html . He doesn't need anything that'll last a super long time at that point, but I was thinking that I should go with 170s, even though he's only skied as long as 160. I don't want him to grow out of the length after a couple more ski days. He's 6' and about 205-215 I think.

Any other suggestions?

And a side note, funny story: When we were taking a break from skiing at Crotched, he mentioned that one of this shins was really hurting, and I obviously figured it was ill-fitting boots. Then he says to me "why would they put this metal snap here on the liner??". Turns out he thought that you were supposed to put the ski pants gaiters INSIDE the boots! Things were much more comfortable for him after that.... :ROTF:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And a side note, funny story: When we were taking a break from skiing at Crotched, he mentioned that one of this shins was really hurting, and I obviously figured it was ill-fitting boots. Then he says to me "why would they put this metal snap here on the liner??". Turns out he thought that you were supposed to put the ski pants gaiters INSIDE the boots! Things were much more comfortable for him after that.... :ROTF:

I don't have ski advice for you, but I know a surprising number of people in his boots, so to speak. It just seems so counterintuitive to me, you know? On the other hand, I kind of wonder what they don't understand about my statement that "only your sock should be in your boot." And then a ski instructor once told me that she had an adult student who put his boots on the wrong feet (and thought they were correct). So, I guess for an inexperienced skier, lots of things that are natural to us seem "right" to them. :noidea:

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Boots first, then skis. (Just to keep beating a dead horse). :loco:

Also, check with the local ski shops-- a lot of places have seasonal ski rentals. I don't know if they will do a half-season rental or not, but it's worth checking out. That way you aren't committed to purchase one pair of skis, but you get to rent them for the season. Since he will be progressing pretty quickly with all your trips, it's possible that he will want something different by the time next season rolls around.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great advice from Lori_k.

At least get him correctly fitted for boots and spend the money there. At this point, really, any ski will do for him and by next season he'll be outskiing anything you buy him now. He may fight with a 170 right now although that should be fine for him by next year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga