• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Skis for 12 yr old all mountain expert

SoccerStarMia

Diva in Training
I am looking for a pair of new skis for my daughter any comments or suggestions would be helpful. We live and ski in Colorado. She is 12 yrs old; 4'11"; 95lbs; expert skier - loves steeps, chutes, pow, off piste; and moguls and xxdiamond on the front side. The skis I am considering so far include:
  • Roxy Alakazam Skis - Women's 2009
  • Rossignol Scratch Girl BC Skis - Women's 2008
  • Roxy Phoenix Skis + Roxy Integral Phoenix Bindings - Women's 2008
  • K2 T9 Lotta Luv Skis + Marker M1 11.0 TC Ski Bindings - Women's 2008
  • Rossignol Bandit B3 W Skis - Women's 2007
  • K2 Missdemeanor Skis - Women's 2009

Thanks -

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, welcome!

Hopefully Pinto will stop in because she's got a daughter that sounds like about the same skill level as yours although a year younger. There are demo days this weekend at Loveland if you can swing it. $40 for lift tickets and unlimited demos and it's a great opportunity to ski on some different things. Sign up at Christy Sports.

You might look at a head Sweet One or Wild One and a Volkl Aurora although they might be a bit much since she's still lightweight.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, welcome!

Hopefully Pinto will stop in because she's got a daughter that sounds like about the same skill level as yours although a year younger. There are demo days this weekend at Loveland if you can swing it. $40 for lift tickets and unlimited demos and it's a great opportunity to ski on some different things. Sign up at Christy Sports.

You might look at a head Sweet One or Wild One and a Volkl Aurora although they might be a bit much since she's still lightweight.

You rang?

My daughter is only 70 lb, so she's still in junior skis. She has a Line Celebrity Mini in 143 for this season ... hasn't skied it yet, so I can't say much about it. The reviews were good, and it's a wood core ski (that is what I always look for) ... supposed to be the same as the adult ski, just downsized. They do make a 153, although that might be too long. DD is about 4'11" also, and a 153 would be too long for her.

Is your daughter still growing a lot? or slowing down yet?

I don't know too much about the skis on your list (haven't skied any of them), but I think I might choose a Misdemeanor over the Lotta Luv. The Misdemeanor is similar to the Public Enemy, which is what I bought for my son (who is 13, and bigger than your daughter, but skis the same places). It sounds like a great all-around ski that is a little less burly than the Lotta Luv. I don't know how physically strong she is, though.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter skis at this level with a group of around 12 other girls that are in a size range slightly above and below your DD's and the same age. I don't recall any of them yet skiing on women's skis and I do believe the coaches and reps that come on family discount night discourage them from moving up at this point. At this age a little too much length or stiffness can cause regression. Ie: reverting to stem christies on steeps and also turning the skis across the hill for control instead of making nice clean arcs etc. The skis I see most often are Lines, Rossi Scratch Jr's and the good old Salomon 1080's make the hand me down cycle repeatedly. Most of the girls are on these, as they are their older siblings old skis. But they seem to work well for them. :becky:Good luck! Hope you have a great winter.

SoccerStarMia

Diva in Training
Thanks for the advise -
I am hesitant in moving her up to a 150" ski. She was only skiing a 130"cm ski previously, but she struggled in deep powder (as any light youth does) and I know it would be a big jump. So, going back to a junior ski. My daughter MD, is probably going to top out at around 5'4" (at least we hope). She is maturing early for her age. So I think maybee looking for a 142 - 148 cm ski would be the best. I will check out the Rossi and Solomon's you suggested too.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FWIW the weight range on the upper end junior skis is typically between 135-145 at the high end so she's well within that range. As far as length, this may be something to demo. Length is very subjective. If you can I would get her on some different demos at different lengths. If she seems to be throwing the skis horizontally across the mountain, move down until you see her back in her comfort zone. I have been told that for kids too short is better than too long. I am sure that some of the women that teach kids can chime in here...I know I personally overshot on length last year and ended up having to buy shorter and re-selling a pair last year. And to that the new pair are probably going to be a little on the short side this year, but too bad we're gonna keep em one more year and think we'll be fine. :redface:

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have skiied both the Lotta Luvs and the Miss Ds - the Lotta Luvs are a much stiffer ski. For the lighter weight younger skiier, it would be hands down the Missdemeanors over the Lotta Luvs.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You're getting me worried lol... DH got DD's skiis for this year - but at 12yo she's 5'4" and 120 pds, so he got her adult skis - I think in the 150s. Hope she'll be okay - I can't even remember what he bought her - a unisex. She was bored last year, definately needed something bigger (she grew immensely last year, definately more than we planned for - she's taller than me already!). Hopefully her boots still fit - equiv of a women's 9. She skiis everything also, loves trees, hopefully she won't get tangled up in them. I'll watch out for the potential they're too much for her, hopefully not (wish I remembered what they were).

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
My DD is a 13 year-old. She's about 5'4" (today, who knows tomorrow) and about 105. She's an expert and a racer so she's got the full quiver of racing and training GS and SL skis. But, for fun (chutes, bumps, jumps, and trees), she's on Dynastar Toubled Youth -- considered a young adult ski. She has them in 148s. That's the smallest they come, but there a twin so they ski a bit shorter. They're very peppy and she loves them.

I totally agree with Gloria -- give her something small enough to maneuver without allowing her to be defensive. No higher than where her adam's apple would be. If you are going to a women's ski, definitely stick with a super soft wood core. I'd probably go with the Misdemeanors. There a twin, right?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna