• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skinnier Front Side Skis - Searching

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Greetings all,

For next season I'm in the hunt for a frontside ski in the 172 - 176 width range. I want something versatile that is good in east coast ice conditions but is still fun in "normal" snow. I tend to like a "fun," "poppy" ski that can tolerate my terrible bump skiing while providing stability on groomers. I ski a lot of terrain "advanced" but I'm currently stuck in terminal intermediate in all but mild "blue" bumps.

I will be using this "ideal" ski to work on form and advanced skills/drills - not specifically to work on bump skiing. My instructor(s) think that a narrower ski will help me advance.

Next season I will be 65 yo, very fit, active, and around 145-150lbs (yes, I'm projecting, but I'm determined! :smile: ). I'm 5.5 w/a muscular build, but I like to ski short, e.g., below 160.

Right now, my go-to quiver is the Stolkli Nela 80 (157) and the Volkl Blaze 86 (159).

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would consider myself an upper intermediate/lower advanced skier and I love love love my Atomic Redster X9 and attribute a lot my progress the past few years to this ski. It is definitely on the stiffer end and can be a bit punishing if you get in the back seat, but I feel like the instant "feedback" and response I get from it has been so beneficial with regards to improving my technical abilities. Atomic's Q series is a little bit tuned down and a touch more forgiving than the X9 and the Q9 I believe is 75 underfoot so a little more versatile than some of the narrower frontside options out there. The Cloud series is their women's version with identical construction. The higher the number the stiffer the ski with the Q14 being the most demanding.

I've heard great things about the Blizzard Phoenix R14 which is 70mm underfoot but haven't personally skied them myself.

Fischer The Curv and RC One also get great reviews and are recommended by many including Deb Armstrong. You may have already seen this video by Deb where she talks about ski selection encourging people to try out higher end performance skis but if not I recommend checking it out.

RuthB

Angel Diva
I just spent a couple of weeks with demo skis and skied both the Fischer Curv GT 2024 model and the RC4 Worldcup SC. I enjoyed both and if I was to sum up the experience the RC4 Worldcup SC is a demanding ski that will punish you if you relax or get sloppy, while possible to take it through softer snow (and even accidentally moguls) it was clear that hard snow was its preferred habitat. It was fun, but you had to be on all of the time and stay firmly in the drivers seat.

The Curv GT was a super smooth and responsive. It coped well in softer snow as well as corduroy, super turny, excellent grip (as did the RC4) and silky flex - you can ski the length of the ski without it feeling like a plank or a noodle.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the new 2025 Kastle MX 74 and LOVED it. It was a fun, strong, but easy going skinny ski and not a one trick pony.. very versatile.

That is a coincidence. I was just looking at the MX 74 and the Quartz 72 online. Thanx for the feedback!

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanx mucho, @RuthB and @kmb5662 . I'm checking out the skis online. I think the Curv GT starts at a 161 length (if I recall correctly), which is a bit longer than I want to go, but the reviews are very good. The Atomic Q9 is appealing, but may not have quite the stiffness I'm looking for. Then again, it sounds like it has the versatility I'm looking for and I might love it the way I loved the old Volkl Yumi's. So hard to know w/o demo'ing. Unfortunately, I have almost no demo options any longer -- unless I head west or north.

I stumbled onto the Head Super Joy which also sounds intriguing. Anyone tried that ski? https://www.skiessentials.com/2024-ski-test/skis/2024-head-super-joy

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Elan Wildcat 86 should be in the mix, although maybe too close to the Blaze. This is my main ski, and I have it in a 158. I'm about your height and skill level. This will bounce you around a little if you don't stay on top of them, but I took them out in boot-level powder yesterday and they were great.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanx @floatingyardsale . I demo'd the Wildcat 82 in Steamboat last month and they were not, unfortunately, the ski for me. I realize the 86 will ski differently, but I'm really looking for something under 180. In that wider range I'm extremely happy w/my Volkl Blaze 86. Thanx for the input!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I stumbled onto the Head Super Joy which also sounds intriguing. Anyone tried that ski? https://www.skiessentials.com/2024-ski-test/skis/2024-head-super-joy
I demoed the Super Joy earlier this season. I liked it a lot. I found it light and it held well on the hard pack I skied it on. Felt quick edge to edge. Didn't feel planky but not too soft either ( I ultimately didn't get it for 2 reasons one I couldn't find it anywhere in the length I wanted which was 158 and then two, that afternoon after skiing it I had a strange pain in my lower leg just below the knee on the medial side. I had never had that happen before and haven't had it since so I wondered if there was something about the skis or how I was skiing on them that caused it so I ultimately decided against them). But I did really like them when I was on them.
Instead I ended up buying Stockli Laser SC which is 72 underfoot

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I've had the SuperJoy 163 for several years, very enjoyable. Older version, not sure what year? (not the first) DH just bought the 168 from a friend, loves them (he's a small man). Very good choice for eastern snow. Of course, we hail from the straight ski era and well remember a time when 75 was considered "wide." :smile: (And my usual length was 190 :eek:, his 195).

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had the SuperJoy 163 for several years, very enjoyable. Older version, not sure what year? (not the first) DH just bought the 168 from a friend, loves them (he's a small man). Very good choice for eastern snow. Of course, we hail from the straight ski era and well remember a time when 75 was considered "wide." :smile: (And my usual length was 190 :eek:, his 195).
Lol. I remember straight skis. I had an Olin something ski in a 193. I then missed a lot of skiing years and !!boom!! shaped skis had arrived. My first shaped ski (we called them parabolic) was the K2 Four. Red, white, blue, and wood grained. I think they were a 170. They are still in my mom's garage.

Back when my folks were skiing - in the 50's, they measured their skis by raising an arm straight overhead. That "measurement" determined length back then.

Last edited:

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've heard great things about the Blizzard Phoenix R14 which is 70mm underfoot but haven't personally skied them myself.

I have owned the Blizzard Phoenix R14's for a little over a year now - they are a stiff, heavy (partly because I could only find them already mounted with TPX 12 Demo Bindings) unforgiving carving ski. I like them for on-piste carving but they are not fun or poppy in bumps.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have owned the Blizzard Phoenix R14's for a little over a year now - they are a stiff, heavy (partly because I could only find them already mounted with TPX 12 Demo Bindings) unforgiving carving ski. I like them for on-piste carving but they are not fun or poppy in bumps.
I have a feeling they would be popping you right up and over the bumps, as in a full-blown LAUNCH! :rotf:

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a '23 Head Super Joy that I like a lot. I hated, hated, hated the older iteration of this ski. It's beefed up a bit now and more damp without being heavy feeling. A great ski. Holds the VT hardpack and has a fairly wide shovel and I've had it in some softer/junky snow as well and it has not dissappointed me yet. I have a '21 Kastle MX83 that's excellent on the firm and soft stuff as well.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a feeling they would be popping you right up and over the bumps, as in a full-blown LAUNCH! :rotf:
LOL! In big icy moguls that is definitely possible. I have never used them on big icy moguls, nor will I. I have skied them in soft Targhee bumps and they more tend to get a bit bogged down because they are so narrow and heavy.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"172 - 176 width range", I think you mean 72-76mm? Length-wise, maybe 158-163cm?

I have the Fischer My Curv ski in a 163cm length. It's a 68mm waist. It is more damp than poppy. Very stable, you don't get bounced around. Great for carving on groomed runs. Too long for me to be comfortable in the bumps. It came with a system binding, so easy to adjust to a different boot sole length.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
"172 - 176 width range", I think you mean 72-76mm? Length-wise, maybe 158-163cm?

I have the Fischer My Curv ski in a 163cm length. It's a 68mm waist. It is more damp than poppy. Very stable, you don't get bounced around. Great for carving on groomed runs. Too long for me to be comfortable in the bumps. It came with a system binding, so easy to adjust to a different boot sole length.
I saw that typo too and thought of strapping surfboards to the feet :laughter:

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Lol. I'm so glad Divas can read what is correct instead of what is there. :smile: Yes, I meant to say 72-76 mm width and 160 or under re length.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the MX, but I only got to ski it twice this year b/c of our non-existent winter. I love it but it truly is a one-trick pony. I'd like something that will "sluuurve" a bit more willingly and that will tolerate deeper snow.

I guess what I'm looking for, really, is a narrow (72-76) frontside ski built "down" from an all-mountain platform rather than one built "up" from a race/slalom ski.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna