• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with De Quervain’s Tendosynovitis?

Sparky

Angel Diva
Ok, so it’s been almost two months now since my wrist starting hurting, and over a month since I was diagnosed with De Quervain’s tendosynovitis (inflammation of the thumb/wrist tendons) by the doctor, and I’m still in pain. I’ve been wearing a thumb/wrist splint as prescribed by the doctor and was taking meloxicam for a couple weeks until I decided it wasn’t helping. It probably hasn’t helped that I’ve been skiing on it the last two weeks and either suffering through the pain when pole planting, or doing half pole plants when I can get away with it. Tired of the pain, seeing no improvement in sight, and not wanting this to continue to affect my skiing, I scheduled an appointment for a cortisone injection. But now I’m a little nervous about any side affects from an injection. Any divas out there ever experience this condition??

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bummer..
I have 'skier's thumb' but don't think it's the same. My pain in my thumb/hands was one reason I went No poles for 20yrs, I started using poles when I started teaching again and some days my hands aches. some days after a lot of bumps/deep powder/poling they hurt. I do arnica lotion and aspirin for pain-I've never had cortisone.

maybe try ski w/ just 1 pole or no poles? and sadly may have to forgo bumps/deep snow where poles are used to Give your hand a break from pole planting?

I hope you find relief!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven’t any diagnosis but I also get pain in my thumb joint from skiing. It’s definitely worse if I grip my poles too tight, which I sometimes do if I’m really concentrating on what I’m doing. Skiing without polls or holding them very loosely and letting them trail behind me (obviously not on a steep run and in groomed conditions) helps me break this habit. What also helped was getting women’s ski poles, with smaller handles. I have very small hands and a lot of poles are just too big for me to grip comfortably. Sorry I don’t have anything more usefu to add @Sparky. Hope it improves for you soon.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Thanks @nopoleskier and @DeeSki! Wow, nopoleskier, didn’t realize that’s why you went no poles! Well, I’m going back to the orthopedic doc Tuesday, but I may hold off on the injection because I’d really rather not do it. (I’m a wus when it comes to any type of “procedure”.) Not skiing today, only the second day in the last 9 days, it actually feels a tad better. So perhaps if I give it a good rest for two and a half weeks (before aspen!), perhaps it’ll actually get better? I can forego bumps, but foregoing deep snow, yikes, I don’t know! Mammoth may be expecting up to two feet this weekend!! DeeSki, maybe you should get your thumb checked, just in case? Watergirl had skiers thumb which apparently wasn’t treated properly at the time and now, while mostly healed, has a loose ligament. Ok, well I’ll let you know what happens Tuesday. Thanks!

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @Sparky I really should get this checked out. It hasn’t been causing me any trouble recently, probably because I haven’t been doing any of the activities that bring it on like skiing or driving but if it acts up again I’ll get it looked at.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry you're having this problem, @Sparky. I don't have any advice about De Quervain’s tendosynovitis, but I've had cortisone injections before with no issues. They actually do a great job of eliminating pain.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep us posted, and I also agree with smaller pole grips. I use hiking poles with Cork handles they don't seem to get as cold- I think that contributes to my hand pain.

I'm like you @Sparky on 'procedures' I have torn rotator cuff (too many old parts) and when Dr pulled out the cortisone needle to stick in my shoulder I freaked. looked like it would come out my boob. I didn't do it i have major white coat syndrome.

I just googled and found Exercises for it!! https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320914.php Hope these help, and taking a break, poles definitely help in deep snow and bumps!

Sparky

Angel Diva
Thanks for the article! I definitely need to take better care of it, including doing some exercises. This must be resolved by January 26!!! :cool:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I would definitely try cortisone..... it doesn't hurt and may help.
Also, have you tried acupuncture ?

Joey

Diva in Training
Hi @Sparky, how are your wrists/thumbs doing and how was your trip at the end of January? I have recently been diagnosed with de Quervains in my right thumb tendon and probably in the left too. The left tendon is very thickened and has been painful and inflamed since the summer. The right one is more recent, starting around the beginning of the ski season. The causes are unknown but could be related to cycling and over-use and old-age (I'm a middle aged woman). Anyway my UK physio was keen to do a steroid injection but I opted to try physiotherapy first and have seen a UK registered physio in France as I'm here most of the winter. I have thumbs braces and some movement exercises and take ibuprofen in the morning. I am am seeing her again later this week to start on eccentric exercises, probably as per the link you posted @nopoleskier . We looked at the action of pole planting and decided that I couldn't use poles. @nopoleskier , it is so liberating although I've mostly been on the groomers these past 10 days and tomorrow looks like a powder day :(( but I don't think I'll be able to do anything except the gentlest off-piste. Would love to hear how you are getting on and share any tips to help it improve. Thank you for posting.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had De Quervain’s for years and had a few steroid shots. I did not notice any side effects and eventually stop needing it. You can only get one shot a year. The key is to figure out what exactly is causing the condition and just stop doing it. For me, it was shopping LOL it was the exact motion of flipping hangers on clothes racks that caused the inflammation! For years, I thought rest and wearing the brace would be enough, but it turned out as soon as I stop flipping the damn hangers, De Quervain’s left me! So now, I just shop online:goodluck:
If you do get the shot, make sure the doctor freezes/numb the area well. Mine were almost painless except once when the doctor was too quick to inject me. It was so painful I actually screamed and kicked the doctor in the shin. I never saw that doctor again...

Last edited:

Sparky

Angel Diva
@Joey sorry you have this, and on both wrists! So I did end up getting the steroid shot in January and it did help a lot, I would say it was about 80-90% better. However, I’ve been skiing on it since (20+ days) and now it’s hurting again, probably a lot more in the last week or two. So I’m back to wearing the splint more and will start putting more effort into the exercises (which I admit I was very lazy with before). I’ve also been trying turmeric supplements and just the other day got some cbd oil and tincture but haven’t noticed much improvement yet. I’m also trying these for knee pain. I can’t not ski so I guess I’ll try to ease up on the pole planting again for now!

An orhto friend of a friend suggested that if it doesn’t get better in about 6 weeks to get another shot. Hopefully I won’t need to!

@Susan L shopping and kicking the doctor!! :rotf: Glad to hear you’re cured! Shopping online is way more convenient anyway!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @Joey I Hope the exercises help and yes skiing no poles is very liberating! Skiing without poles you can ski anything--yes more work in bumps/ deep powder... Stand up a tad taller, keep those hands down the hill always in front or out to the sides fun to fly like a bird, in powder lift your toes in your boots, without poles you'll ski slower but will learn excellent balance.

I take 2 aspirin every day before skiing and 2 after it is my pain med that works wonders for me thankfully. I hope you find relief, I think the braces help for sure and strengthening the muscles I think is key but also as we age sadly everything hurts more.. but move it or lose it is still my motto. Glad you have a good Dr. hope you find relief!

Joey

Diva in Training
Thanks for your replies @Sharky,@nopoleskier and @SusanL. So, I really need to find out what's causing it. LOL, shopping but easily cured. I think pole planting may make it worse but isn't the cause. I will take your comments on board today @nopoleskier, not as much powder as we hoped over-night so less daunting. Forgot to say that I'm also doing deep tissue massage at the base of my thumb. @Sparky good luck with the exercises, let me know how you get on. I'm not that much against the steroid injections but that it's not a cure but pain relief and that it might result in me doing more and making it worse longer term. Did you find out the cause? Keep in touch

mustski

Angel Diva
I had De Quervain’s for years and had a few steroid shots. I did not notice any side effects andFor me, it was shopping LOL it was the exact motion of flipping hangers on clothes racks that caused the inflammation! For years, I thought rest and wearing the brace would be enough, but it turned out as soon as I stop flipping the damn hangers, De Quervain’s left me! So now, I just shop online:goodluck:
:rotf: Not to laugh at your pain but only a true diva could get a shopping injury! Have you seen the jacket slut thread?! I'm glad it was easy to resolve.

Good luck @Sparky. I just saw this today so had no idea you were in pain while skiing.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The key is to figure out what exactly is causing the condition and just stop doing it.

@Sparky , I hope you can discover the cause for the problem starting up, like some kind of repetitive stress injury, because then you can deal with it. I am prone to tingling in the hands, especially my right (I'm right-handed). My issues are tied to carpal tunnel, repetitive stress, C4/C5 cervical spine degeneration and having a computer-dependent career (very sedentary, keyboard use, mousing). Having a long commute probably doesn't help.

Exercises, stretching, and chiropractic work helps but it comes down to amount of use. There's only so much I can do, since I can't just up and quit my career. I have been managing hand pain since my early/mid 40s. Day-long skiing, with all those pole plants, can create a big problem. There have been times I've woken up with burning hands, which is particularly awful on ski trips. A rolled up towel under my neck, at the edge of the bed, helps.

Keep searching for relief and answers, good luck! I'm happy to share my experience, too, just let me know.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Thanks ladies! Bummer for you too @VickiK . @Joey I don’t know the exact cause. Funny because when it first hurt, it was right after I spent a week with a friend from out of town and we had spent half the time wine tasting in Napa, and the other half just drinking wine elsewhere, so I laughed that it was too much lifting of wine glasses! (That’s probably worse than @Susan L and her shopping!). Could be dumb golf game I was playing a lot on my phone which I’ve since stopped. Haha. Or I blame DH for rubbing his feet too often. Lol. Or perhaps just a combination these and others, including getting older?! :cry:

It actually feels a tad better today. I started doing some of the exercises from this YouTube clip I found. I also read somewhere about massaging the area, including massaging across the wrist. But of course, I’m still skiing with poles though...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The phone games get me, knitting too. Just gotta practice restraint.

Joey

Diva in Training
Oh @VickiK that sounds terrible and thank you for sharing with us, any tips welcomed and wishing you all the best for improvements. Maybe try leaving your ski poles at home one day. I do that massage across the wrist - deep tissue massage apparently breaks down scaring. I fear that maybe age is the common factor here for us all....apologies to any younger divas. From what I've read the phone is bound to be an issue too and I'm trying hard use my PC and not the phone for the internet. Ah @Sparky my physio said to avoid alcohol as it causes inflammation, wine glass RSI....@SusanL be care fully with the mouse in case you get RSI.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL yes age is the biggest factor! None of this was an issue before. I figure retirement will provide a good rest opportunity for my hands!
  • Chiropractic - it was endless and I stopped going last October. Hand issues seem to be at bay or manageable if I do the appropriate maintenance work on my own.
  • Knitting - I dial this activity back as needed. Some projects are more exciting than others, and right now I'm not especially inspired to work on my stuff.
  • Phone games - really a time-waster more than anything, but I got sucked into Wordscapes. 8pm is my cutoff time for the e-devices.
  • No poles - I might try it at some point but so long as it's manageable, I will use them.
Personal anecdote: I got an ergonomic eval at work for my hand tingles. They recommended a roller bar keyboard/mouse, where the mouse buttons are incorporated into the keyboard itself. There are right, left, and double click buttons built in at the front of the keyboard, along with a scroll wheel. Very different, but I got used to it, all was good. Then I developed pain and arthritic-like stiffness in my thumb, ouch! It was due to the scroll wheel of the new keyboard. That turned into a worker's comp case. Nothing helped the pain but time and the exercises for the thumb, and avoiding that little scroll wheel. @Sparky I feel your pain, even though it's a different diagnosis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna