• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing with a broken / recovering tailbone?

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Super wise ski ladies - anyone come back from skiing after a tailbone fracture? incident occurred January 3 (accident coming off a lift, involving a well meaning jerk who caught my ski with his ski...and some cirque level acrobatics....) and, naturally, I have an AMAZING trip to the alps planned for the end of February. Questions / guidance required: 1. has anyone come back from one of these in-season injuries? words of wisdom? things to prepare for? 2. has anyone used any sort of 'butt pads'? how annoying is this? and or helpful? 3. Recommendations for must-ski runs at Val D'Isere or Chamonix? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a fractured tailbone from a snowboarding accident years ago. I was out for 6 weeks before getting on my snowboard again but I wasn’t fully recovered and I did not enjoy my time on the slopes (for fear of re-injuring myself). I survived the season but had lingering lower back pain for at least another 6 months after that.
All I can say is listen to your body and don’t push it. You don’t want to injure your back again before it recovers. Good Luck!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
This sounds a great deal like what happened to me - except the stranger on the far right side of the quad chair decided to hook a hard left upon exiting the chair - with me being in the way. :frown: Really thought I'd done in my ACL's as well, for the position I wound up in.

It was early in Feb. I turned in my season pass that year - but was able to ski, if gingerly, by about March 20 (based on my file pic stats).

Agree with advice above: listen to your body. I had leg injuries as well, so that compounded it. The tailbone was just sore when I resumed skiing. The donut cushion helps in the early stages.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you both! I should also mention that i'm an IDIOT and skied for 3.5 hours or so after the incident....before I just couldn't anymore. The lifts were...unbearable.

Did either of you return to skiing with the aid of a tailbone pad? I've found a few (trolling figure skating websites...where apparently tailbone injuries are quite common) but curious if there's a better solution that what I've found so far....more x-rays on Friday, so send good bone-growing vibes!

bigger 'butt pad' https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RNZL9Z0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

specific tailbone cover (has not been delivered yet....very curious)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N53E7FS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do NOT want to delay the healing, but I'm (stubbornly...heck, i'm just stubborn!) not ready to throw in the towel on the Alps trip :(

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, if I have a trip planned for the Alps, I probably won't throw in the towel either ;)

No, I didn't use any pad/cover when I returned to snowboarding after the injury. They just didn't feel right. They key is to not fall on my butt again, BUT the more I tried not to, the more likely it was going to happen. And sitting down on the snow is part of snowboarding so it was difficult to avoid, but skiing should be ok.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Nor did I use a tailbone pad - but it sounds like an intriguing (and useful!) idea. Why not. My problems were more knee-injury-related than the tailbone, which settled out in a month -- but still "reminded" me of the injury when I sat on hard surfaces.
IT WILL HEAL! Mine did, and I'm probably tons older than you are.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
You guys are awesome :smile: i will be test driving my new pads at Physical Therapy this week. I just had a lovely (not at all) 15 minutes or so of doing walking lunges in the hallway while whining.....not the most fun I've had this week, but doctor's orders :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hey! Stick around. We get "awesome-r." :wink:
Ow to the lunges. Yikes. Truly feeling your pain.
Keep the tailbone crew posted!

newboots

Angel Diva

newboots

Angel Diva
I bruised (not broke) my tailbone in mid December. Still hurts when I sit too long. However, I found something called a coccyx pillow that helped a lot. Basically a square with a piece missing in the back - you know where.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@newboots My sister just had a baby when I fractured my tailbone so I borrowed her donut pillow - it looks like a toilet seat and was my best friend for months!

newboots

Angel Diva
I had a donut years ago when I had surgery. I remember it worked well. Either one!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine mostly just hurt until it didn’t - I don’t think there’s much you can do that will either hasten or delay recovery. My skiing wasn’t impeded - I broke mine in early January of one year - I slid and fell on a marble staircase while carrying 50 lbs of luggage and then had to sit on a 12 hour flight. The other thing that happened that took 12 months to heal was that I shifted my tailbone to a side, which stretched out everything on one side. I wasn’t able to walk up stairs or run without pain. I’m pretty sure everything is just crooked at this point and various ligaments, tendons and muscles have adjusted.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
the coccyx pillow is a lifesaver (typed while perched on one right now!) also a GREAT way to make new friends when you drag it out in public with you to entertain friends visiting from out of town. to bars...and restaurants...and shopping....if nothing else, my ability to ignore people staring is improving. what do you think the lift operators would do if i sidled up in line carrying my ass-cushion? ;) (for some reason...this is the funniest visual to me....)

Jenny

Angel Diva
the coccyx pillow is a lifesaver (typed while perched on one right now!) also a GREAT way to make new friends when you drag it out in public with you to entertain friends visiting from out of town. to bars...and restaurants...and shopping....if nothing else, my ability to ignore people staring is improving. what do you think the lift operators would do if i sidled up in line carrying my ass-cushion? ;) (for some reason...this is the funniest visual to me....)
You should figure out a way to strap it on like the waterproof butt protectors if you really want people to stare!

1548949717561.png

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This thread had me like :rotf: a couple of times!
Joking aside, I really hope you'll be able to ski, sounds like you have an amazing trip planned. Some of my friends ski/board with these thermal tights that have an integrated butt cushion, might be a little less conspicuous than strapping an octopus around you :becky:

I've been to Chamonix but not Val d'Isère. What pass will you be using in Chamonix? If you haven't decided yet, I'd recommend you get the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass that gives you access to the entire domain, including Courmayeur (Italian side) and the Mt Blanc evasion area (my BF's granddad has a chalet in Combloux). If you take at least a 6-day pass, it's also valid for Verbier in Switserland (don't know if you've booked everything yet, bit far for a day trip). Lots of nice tree runs in Combloux-Megève, Les Houches has good terrain for beginners and intermediates, Grands-Montets has the most challenging terrain I've tried around that area if I remember well.

Keep in mind you usually can't ski from one area to another, unlike other EU resorts. I think buses are included in the Unlimited pass though and if you'll be driving yourself, it's mainly big roads to get from one part to another.

In my experience, the slope grading is 'typically French', meaning some red slopes in Chamonix would probably be rated black elsewhere in the Alps. Same for blue vs red. They also leave a lot of their black runs ungroomed, you can check on the website which ones exactly. The most well-known off-piste descent in Chamonix is Vallée Blanche and leaves from Aiguille de Midi. I haven't done it myself but know several people who did and it's supposed to be quite something. It's recommended to go with a guide.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
@Belgiangirl THANK YOU! We skied Chamonix last year, and i think i missed some of your recommendations - so will definitely tackle those this year! Did not buy the 3 country pass, either - and regretted that. I CANNOT wait - its just so majestic! (I know, I know....the Alps - who would have thought :becky: lol)

Also just had a GREAT doctor's appointment! Le sad, broken tailbone is healing nicely! He even says that I can put the skis on my feet next weekend (since I will be attending a work meeting in Park City) and see how it feels so that we can incorporate anything necessary into my PT. While not falling down, ever, or at least picking a NEW body part on the way down.

Nervous? YES. But also hopeful that this disaster is not going to ruin my winter!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna