• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing Under The Influence

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
There's an interesting thread over in EpicSki, and I thought I'd start one here on the same thing.

So what's your opinion about skiing under the influence? Ever get a little buzzed and hit the slopes?

Me, no. I need all my wits about me. So I leave drinking til apres ski.

What about you? What's your experience been?

Jilly

Staff member
Yep, did that once when I was young and stupid. Like our Ski Diva, I wait till apres. I can do enough damage then.

HotChocolate

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last season I was skiing at Belleayre and we parked in the Lower parking lot. Everyone met at the upper lodge bar after skiing and I had a couple beers. Well we had to ski down to the lower lodge to depart. I did not like the way it made me feel. The beer gave me a buzz and I had to concentrate more on my descent. That being said I have had hot chocolate and coffee with a splash of Kaluha or Bailey's during lunch but never enough to give me a buzz and didn't experience any difference in my abilities. I know people drink and ski but for me I would rather save the partying until afterwards.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never drink and ski. I would not want to be the after-lunch drunk skier hitting someone else. It bothers me when people brag about how well they ski after two or three beers. Are they serious?

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just before 4:00 last year we were in line for one last chairlift. A couple of people ahead, a bunch of guys, 30s, were falling-down drunk. They were laughing loudly and one guy kept falling down in the line. When it was their turn to load, the guy fell again. The attendant stopped the lift and helped him. Finally the drunks loaded.

A ski patrol appeared. The attendant said, "you better follow them." Everyone in line was like "yes, please!!!!"

After we got off the lift, we quickly skied away from these guys!

Lynn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a beer (shared with hubbie) at lunch last year at Alta. First time in 12 years of skiing that I some mid day. Since it was that 3% stuff, no buzz, just a good cold splash on the tongue. I wouldn't make a habit of it though. I need all my wits around me when I ski.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hubby and I usually have a beer at lunch, but nothing that would get us buzzed. The exception was the time I spoke of in another thread when we were in Cervinia, Italy. We ordered two glasses of wine, but because of the language barrier, they brought us 2 liters! Hey, I'm not one to let good wine go to waste! The remainder of the day is somewhat hazy. :o

ArmyWife

Certified Ski Diva
On the other hand...

I'm gonna say something here that may get me into trouble but I'm being honest...

I have taken a drink or two and hit the slopes and found that I was skiing better. I know some people might say--sure--she just thought she was better... But when I haven't skied in a long time I find the "fear" monster grabbing hold and I ski much too cautiously. A glass of wine really seemed to calm the nerves and I could ski without being so scared.

Now, I'm not talking drunk--just a "shot of courage". BIG-BIG difference.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard this from other people, too -- that taking a drink can calm their nerves and get rid of some of the fear.

There's a big difference between doing this and getting snockered. The problem is people who don't know the difference.

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One glass of wine or one beer at lunch time can be quite enjoyable. We often take a picnic lunch to Belle's Camp at Blue Sky in Vail, and someone usually pulls some of those little mini bottles of wine out of their backpack. Very welcome!

My husband has been known to carry a hipflask of 'Rusty Nails' (whisky and Drambuie), but one flask full usually lasts him the whole season.

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ArmyWife said:
I'm gonna say something here that may get me into trouble but I'm being honest...

I have taken a drink or two and hit the slopes and found that I was skiing better. I know some people might say--sure--she just thought she was better... But when I haven't skied in a long time I find the "fear" monster grabbing hold and I ski much too cautiously. A glass of wine really seemed to calm the nerves and I could ski without being so scared.

Now, I'm not talking drunk--just a "shot of courage". BIG-BIG difference.

I normally leave the alcofrol until I know I'm not going to ski any more that day... BUT last year our instructor said I should in fact start the day with one small beer to stop me thinking too much and "just do it". Having seen me before and after lunch with him at which a bottle was consumed, he said the difference (improvement) in my skiing was remarkable. Swings and roundabouts - so long as you are not a danger to yourself or anyone else I suppose

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
There was one post in that thread on epic that I can't find now, but the gist of it was: "We drive from NJ up to Killington, and leave around 3am to be there by 9. We don't like to spend money on hotels, so we drive back afterwards and get home 10-11pm. We get good and buzzed to stay awake for the drive, try to keep a buzz on all day, and then take hits on the chair to get 'in the zone' when we ski down."

!!!

That one post made such an impression on me - what an idiot. I'll dig around more later and see if I can find it.

In general, though, it's a pretty individual question. I don't like the thought of people who are drunk and/or high skiing on the same hill as me, but there probably are people who can do one or the other without it affecting their performance to a degree that's dangerous to the people around them. That's the thing, though, is that it's not just you you're affecting - as soon as you get to the point where you're being reckeless then it is most definitely not ok.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Still, that's pretty scarey.

Of course, I worry about people who do that sort of thing, too: get up really early, ski all day, then drive home -- it's got to be exhausting. And that can make them a real hazard on the roads (and on the slopes, too!). I only hope they're trading off drivers......

SkiMonster

Certified Ski Diva
we like a beer or two at lunch (actually; I rarely choose beer if we aren't skiing anymore, come to think of it) but I am not comfortable with anything beyond the "slightly loosened up" feeling; I like my wits about me. More often than not though; rather than being "buzzed" I get what I think of as "goggle head" by the end of the day whether I had a beer or not- sort of fuzzy & disoriented when not actually skiing; I have wondered if it's due to adjusting to goggle "tunnel vision" and then trying to switch back or something after having my field of vision limited all day.

I would never, ever ski drunk; but I really enjoy a good, cold beer in the afternoon - best are when we've thought ahead to bring our own bottles and they are icy cold.

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I didn't this year, but last year I did have a Blueberry Tea (Timberline Specialty--Earl Grey plus Grand Marnier and Amaretto) at times to settle my nerves.

Now I *did* ski once under the influence of Prednisone (treatment for my asthma)--which probably meant I was more aggressive and less likely to feel pain feedback than I would have otherwise.

altagirl

Staff member
It's rare for me, but sometimes I have a beer or two at lunch.

And I know the following is not the PC thing to say, but after my first knee surgery I was SUPER cautious. I was really struggling and making my muscles do 10x as much work as normal because I was fighting to go so slow. My husband kept telling me to "just relax", but I couldn't. We went in and I had 2 beers at lunch, went back out and suddenly I "remembered" how to ski. I didn't need the beer after that, I just needed a few runs with the edge taken off of my fear. My body was ready to ski again and my mind wasn't and that solved it. So yeah, I can honestly say that in certain situations, a couple beers DOES make you ski better. But only if you're being unnecessarily/overly fearful, if that makes sense.

That can certainly get you into trouble if you go overboard with it, but I understand it. And I know when I race DH mountain bikes, the girls I race against almost ALL chug a beer or two before they race. I'm the only one who doesn't. And I'm in a near panic beforehand. I've often wondered if it'd help... but I don't want to risk it, so I haven't.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a bit narrow minded about this topic, and more recently have had it highlighted in my life.
I have had a total of two coffee drinks that contained alcohol and one glass of wine in my entire life. I have, however been exposed to some serious destruction at the hands of drugs and alcohol.
I really don't mind socializing with friends who drink, while they are drinking.

However, drinking and skiing, driving, or other things that expose others to possible harm due to the influence alcohol (and drugs) has is unacceptable.
My mind is not as wide as my waist;)

altagirl

Staff member
If drunk people on the slope concern you, I'd definitely recommend not skiing on closing day around here. ;)

Now that I think about it, it's fairly amazing I don't know of anyone that's gotten hurt in the process.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga