• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing in AFRICA????

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm looking around First Tracks this morning, and what do I find but an article about skiing in Africa!!!! I had no idea there was any skiing there, but apparently there is -- albeit on a limited basis -- in a place called Afri-Ski. It's located in Lesotho, a kingdom surrounded by South Africa. The resort opened in 2005 and in 2007 got about 10,000 guests. There's one slope about a kilometer long.

Anyone ever ski in a place one wouldn't normally associate with skiing?

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
So I'm looking around First Tracks this morning, and what do I find but an article about skiing in Africa!!!! I had no idea there was any skiing there, but apparently there is -- albeit on a limited basis -- in a place called Afri-Ski. It's located in Lesotho, a kingdom surrounded by South Africa. The resort opened in 2005 and in 2007 got about 10,000 guests. There's one slope about a kilometer long.

Anyone ever ski in a place one wouldn't normally associate with skiing?

Wow! I checked it out. I have been planning to plan to plan (intentional repetition) a trip to Southern Africa for quite some time. That would be great to get in a day on this slope, why not?

I am hiring a Canadian ex ski jumper / nordic combined competitor who is hell bent on skiing in up and coming eastern european locations. This season I'll let you know what we tackle.

abc

Banned
Morocco too.

Not a developed resort but mountains you can ski down (how to get up is a different story ;-] )

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I've been in that area, last time was 2002, I think. Lesotho is like a little Tibet. Mountainous and they can get snow in the winter (our summer). When we were there last, they got 3' of snow and people were stranded in the mountains for about a week or so, they had to helicopter supplies in.

It's just a day's drive from Johannesburg but there can be issues at the border post with a rental car.

If DH goes back to South Africa then I'm packing my ski boots!:becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga