• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing Etiquette

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We hear alot about proper ski etiquette. There seems to be a set of unwritten rules we learn the more we ski. But what are these rules? Wouldn't it save newbies a lot of time and trouble, if we actually wrote them down? So let's begin here, ladies. Let's assemble our own Ski Divas' Guide to Skiing Etiquette.

I'll start:

Rule #1: Don't butt the lift line.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The skiers responsibility code comes to my mind. I like the part about giving the skier in front of you the right of way and looking uphill before you cross a trail. But I also appreciate skiers who put their skis on the rack when they go inside.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Rule #2 Ask before you lower the safety bar.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While all this is nice I'm not sure it would neccessarily make a huge difference. Sure there are those who make gaffs both skiing and in life because they simply don't know any better. Unfortunately the vast majority simply don't care. For example I think we all know it's good (proper?) etiquette to cover you mouth and say "excuse me" when you burp. But how many kids (and even adults) do you see observing this. Half the kids think its just funny to be rude, and half just don't care since no adult ever forced them to be polite.

(ok griping over! I must be extra grumpy since I won't be skiing this weekend :p)

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
People should say loudly: on your left/right before they go zipping by if coming close....unfortunately most do not :( And these dopey borders (aka knuckle draggers) that sit across the whole slope on their butts drive me nuts!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Rule #2 Ask before you lower the safety bar.

This is such a pet peeve of mine. You don't even really have to ask, you just have to give everyone a heads up so they can get out of the way. My husband's about 6'2" and he gets whacked in the head at least once a weekend by an overzealous bar-lowerer. :smile:

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I feel that something like this on this board does have it's use. Yeah, sure, it maybe preaching to the choir... but for all of you ladies that have been doing this for ages, there may be several newer skiiers that are reading this website and have never realized that some people may get angry when you put the safety bar down without asking. (as for that last one, I can attest that while I don't think i'm ignorant of most ettiquette, i am guilty of doing this to someone and getting a remark from him... at which point i realized my error. I had never thought about it before. But from then on I did.)

Anyway, another good rule of ettiquette: when theres no liftie to organize inflow to the lift, be nice. Wait your turn. It's like merging onto a highway. Every other person gets to go (from either side of the lift). Don't sneak in behind someone when it is clearly someone elses turn. They don't want to wait for the lift any longer than you do!

K.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
lv2ski said:
People should say loudly: on your left/right before they go zipping by if coming close....unfortunately most do not :(

I've seen this one go awry, although in theory it's a good idea. I think it arises from one person's fast being another person's normal speed, and people not confident in their skiing. I was on one of those runs that take you to the parking lot at the end of the day a few years ago, and it was appropriately crowded on the trail. This girl behind me kept calling out, "On your left!" She sounded like she was right behind me. Well, I promptly started making smaller turns and kept waiting and waiting and waiting for her to pass me. I even turned to see where she was, and she really was right behind me. The thing is, I slowed down so she could get by, and the truth is, I probably would have gone around several other skiers if she didn't keep calling out "on your left!" I ultimately made my way to the other side of the trail because I got tired of having to be vigilant about someone behind me, and I don't think she ever passed me.

I think she was a newer skier and found herself at the edge of her ability and really thought that she was going to zip by people. She wasn't going fast at all, though; it was all a matter of perception.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga