• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing alone - thoughts?

neve

Diva in Training
It is boring. It is much more fun with friends or at least an instructor.
If the option were between going alone or not going at all, I'd certainly go alone anyway, I'd find ways to entertain myself, listening to music, contemplating, taking pictures, having small talk with others, enjoying reading a good book après-ski, etc.

newboots

Angel Diva
Since your in New England, and working to get better, you might have fun at one of the Okemo women's workshops. Some learning, some skiing, a few meals and the stray beverage with a basically non-judgemental group. I got a lot out of the last one I attended! https://www.okemo.com/mountain-info/ski-ride-school/womens-programs/

Hi Abbi -

I was looking at those. Right now my level of fitness would leave me too tired to ski several days in a row, but I'm working on it!

I am really getting to enjoy Berkshire East. I met a "friend" from Epic Ski today on the lift, and also someone I know from work. Ran into people I met last week. Soon I'll have skiing partners there. What a friendly mountain (or friendly sport!).

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Right now my level of fitness would leave me too tired to ski several days in a row, but I'm working on it!

I'm not saying it will fix everything - but the better you get at skiing, the more efficient you will be - meaning you won't need the same level of fitness to ski the same stuff.

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm not saying it will fix everything - but the better you get at skiing, the more efficient you will be - meaning you won't need the same level of fitness to ski the same stuff.

I think I had a moment or two like that today - I really felt (just a couple times) what the side cut is supposed to do. It turned effortlessly. Like magic! I'm not there, yet. I understand the idea, though, and I keep trying. Trying to relax my body, which is easier with each little bit of confidence I gain. I want to get to that point! I'll just keep working on those turns, and get another lesson.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't mind skiing alone but it's always more fun to share the experience, fun and beauty of the sport.
I have skied thru lunch at several PSIA clinics (they stood around too much and conditions warranted me skiing thru lunch to get the ants out of my pants) If there is no one to ski with I will definitely ski alone.

definitely there are No Friends on a powder day.. first tracks are for those that do ski alone (here in the east it's so rare that we do adhere to the No friends rule)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind skiing alone but it's always more fun to share the experience, fun and beauty of the sport.

+1.

Yeah, I'll ski alone, no problem. If I have my tunes, it's better.

But I prefer skiing with other people for the same reasons as nopoleskier.

newboots

Angel Diva
So, I skied a lot more yesterday and I'm fine today. Maybe it was the Epsom salts, but I think I'm getting stronger. So maybe I could handle one of those Okemo women's clinics after all. Anybody going in February or March?

marzNC

Angel Diva
:bump:

For those who skied alone a fair amount as an improving intermediate, did your view of skiing alone change after starting to ski more off-piste or in less than ideal snow conditions?
:bump: It's been a couple years since this thread was active.

Here's a different question for those of you who are over a certain age . . . did your view of skiing alone change as you added a decade or two or three of experience on the slopes?

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I prefer to ski with others most of the time, particularly if I'm not super familiar with the terrain; I'd be hard pressed to find my way out of a paper bag, since I have zero sense of direction!!!! On my most familiar mountains I'm OK by myself, but I'm really a social being at heart.....

lucy

Angel Diva
It depends. I like to explore. If there's a buddy, it's nice to have company. But if not, I ski anyway. I know my limits and I usually ski my resort so I'm familiar with the terrain. I wouldn't have skied on my own when I started skiing in college.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Add me to the ‘depends category’. The fact that I live alone, by choice, and enjoy my own company definitely helps! But it is fun to catch up with friends. And all mine are aware that I am going to ski sweep and they will wait for me or give up and leave! With my blessing of course! :smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
find folks to ski with who are interested in the same pace and terrain?
Ideally that's what I like to do but isn't always possible. BF and my friend I travel with (Europe trips ) ski at the same pace and terrain which is great. But I love skiing with others (BF's grandkids - well they'll be leaving me in the dust in a year or so) and enjoy showing folks around the mountain (who maybe wouldn't venture in areas as unknown to them).
I don't particularly like skiing in big groups though. OTOH, skiing solo with music is fine with me......

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
After spending 5 days on a solo trip to MT Snow (my first solo trip) I have discovered:
1. I am quite timid skiing alone on a mountain I am unfamiliar with.
This is easily solved by taking a lesson, which I did each day. The first day, I was thrilled to have a private for the price of a group lesson. After the second day, I was hoping for others in the lesson, to hopefully have Someone to ski with after. But this was mid week right after Thanksgiving, so private’s each day...I know, poor me!!!

2. I love going at my own pace, but need someone who is better than I to push me out of my comfort zone.

3. I hesitate to try to make friends on the lift enough to ask if they want to take a run with me because I think I ski so slow.

End result is solo has ups and downs for me.I really don’t mind it, and will ski alone rather than not ski at all. But, I need to put myself out there and make ski buddies! Sometimes hard to do when you’re shy and live at least 4.5 hours from the nearest ski hill.

skibumwannabe

Certified Ski Diva
I've had 17 great years of skiing with my boys. We skiied with family friends for years and as the kids went off to school the group shrunk, most of them don't ski anymore. Last year I retired and drove out west from Ontario for a 2 month ski trip which was amazing! I skied alone a day in steamboat on my way to mammoth, then skiied a couple of days in mammoth alone before picking up my boys. I enjoyed it but missed the push and off piste I do with them. They push me past my limits which I don't like sometimes but I wouldn't stop doing it! . As they get older, I'll have to find ski divas to join up with. I do enjoy the company and love skiing trees where my friends won't go. Anyone skiing Holiday Valley,Western NY who wants some company I'll join ya i heading out west the 1st week of February but I don't think I'll make it for diva week in Aspen

backpackingmom

Certified Ski Diva
I have never skied alone but will start doing so next week. Hubby got a temp job and cant ski with me anymore :( We have midweek passes to Big Sky so I am going to overcome my timidness and venture out alone! We usually park on the Moonlight side since its close to the lifts. I am kind of shy so skiing single intimidates me a bit. But I need to do it!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga