• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing alone - thoughts?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have mine on a carabiner attached to the shoulder strap on my avy and Camel packs, right where I can get to it just by turning my head. They are both marine whistles, so super loud. My green Spyder jacket has one on a bungee strap inside the jacket along with the international arm signals for air rescue. I also always carry one biking and kayaking, but I'm kinda anal like that because I do most sports alone and in the middle of nowhere.

abc

Banned
I'm kinda anal like that because I do most sports alone and in the middle of nowhere.
I do a lot of stuff alone too, also in the middle of nowhere. I just don't carry half as many gear for attracting attention. It's a bit pointless if I don't expect anyone to come by within 10 mile of me for a week...

On the other hand, I don't really push the limit on most of my outings. So hopefully I'll never need to use any of those. I do undderstand if something does happen, chances are real good I'll die of a lonely death. Not ideal but can't be helped. I'm just not going to stay home wishing someone is available to go with me...

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think ideally, your whistle should be as convenient as the mouthpiece to an avalung (if you skied with an avalung): if you had no access to your hands, can you still somehow access your whistle...

It's not an ideal world, so we try our best. :smile:

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I am a very social being and so far prefer to ski with others and particularly want company on lifts; Yes, I'm the one who will try to start a conversation. I skied alone for thirty years in Vermont (my family gave it up for various reasons), but I skied the same familiar slopes over and over, never venturing beyond the same green ones. I took lessons every year, but never improved. Then when I wasn't getting to Vermont much in winter, I got desperate and joined a South Carolina ski club where their first words were: "YES! Another racer!" Racing forced me to improve and I'll now do the entire small North Carolina mountains green to double black (in good conditions) where I'm familiar alone if I have to, but I'd much rather ski with others. When I'm out west I'm usually with other Crescent Ski Council members, but if not, do same easier slopes. Same with larger mountains in Vermont, though I'll do nearly everything at the smaller ones I'm familiar with in good conditions (not ice). Getting lost and over my head I'm excessively good at and was given a clown on a parachute for club gag awards one year after a nasty double black experience at Big Sky-tried to catch two guys from our club and when they got out of sight I thought they went left when they went right and I scurried onto lift only to immediately discover I had NO BUSINESS where I was. Ski patrol was almost as unhappy as I was.

That said, there are a few days, like today, where some alone time is good so I can stay on easier slopes to rebuild confidence after an injury or at the start of the season, but after about ten runs, I was glad to run into old friends to ski with. And I always prefer to start the day on a green run to get a feel for conditions and how I am that day. This often doesn't happen when I'm with others.

Did someone mention TAHOE? I'll be there with Crescent Jan 11-18, but only one couple from my club is going. Not sure which days we will be where yet....

SkiSuki

Certified Ski Diva
Part of why I love skiing is because it's something I can enjoy alone! Plus I'm still inexperienced, so it's nice to just focus on improving my skills without anyone judging or pressuring me. On the other hand, I love skiing with my instructor because he challenges me to do my best and to push myself further. I don't have friends or family who ski (yet!) so I don't know what it's like to go with a big group, but I imagine it'll be so much fun! And I'm looking forward to making friends with all you Divas! :smile:

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Part of why I love skiing is because it's something I can enjoy alone! Plus I'm still inexperienced, so it's nice to just focus on improving my skills without anyone judging or pressuring me. On the other hand, I love skiing with my instructor because he challenges me to do my best and to push myself further. I don't have friends or family who ski (yet!) so I don't know what it's like to go with a big group, but I imagine it'll be so much fun! And I'm looking forward to making friends with all you Divas! :smile:

SkiSuki, Welcome to the group. Welcome to a fabulous sport whether alone or not. Please be advised henceforth, that while participating here you may also fall in love with SHOPPING for ski-related items. Needed or NOT.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
SkiSuki, Welcome to the group. Welcome to a fabulous sport whether alone or not. Please be advised henceforth, that while participating here you may also fall in love with SHOPPING for ski-related items. Needed or NOT.

Oh, so true. Beware of "jacket sluts", but even if you are not tempted there, few of us can resist for long the newest technology of the skis themselves!!!!! Oh so much greater joy they may bring!!!!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Yurh, not joking on that. Think twice about asking people here "should I buy/do X" with any hope that they'll be supporting your "No" answer. I've never seen a group of bigger enablers in my life.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As far as enabling - between you all and my FB friends you've now gotten me completely smitten with mid-winter trips (as in, get on a plane) to Snowbasin. Already picking the dates for this year.

Ski by myself? I do it all the time. That's when I work on the skills my coach has assigned, and explore territory I'm not familiar with. I do wait until I'm with friends to ski anything locally that's rated double black, and I will not do the Olympic runs at Snowbasin until I've done them at least a few times with my coach. But I've skied most of the rest of Snowbasin on my own and had a BLAST.

Last Valentine's Day, one of our local hills was offering a 2-for-1 ticket deal. None of my friends were available, but I went up anyway, because they gave a voucher for the other half to all single folks. What a great time on the hill that day! Lots of other older singles like me, just out having fun. Lots of camaraderie, and none of that pickup crap we all had to deal with when we were young.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm another introvert who enjoys recreating alone. I always have, and I always will. My first outdoor experiences were solo patrols and weekdays off in jobs where I had to work weekends, so I'm both comfortable on my own and trained to be somewhat cautious. Besides, I love the sensation of skiing and the wonder of the mountain, so when I'm on my own I don't tend to stop anywhere but the bottom of the lift unless I'm standing stock still, eyes closed, listening to the silence. So I can be kind of rude and blow by friends who are waiting politely for me.

Of course, there was that one time skiing with Bayla when we both chattered so much that I forgot to get off the lift and caught some air as the chair rounded the lift station. :booboo:That was a totally social day, but if I remember right, I don't think we stopped much while skiing even then, just rattled away on catwalks and lifts.

I mostly ski at Alta, and as has been said, it's a pretty friendly place, especially in bad weather when the crowds are gone and the locals come out, so I end up in lots of interesting conversations on the lifts, but I actually discourage invitations to 'ski with,' partly because too many people are faster or better than me, and partly because I get nervous, feel pressured, and ski worse around other people. And because I like getting into a rhythm and the sensation of skiing, once I get going, I tend to rather rudely blow by people who've stopped to wait for me. So although chatting on the lift is a nice break, I'd just as soon leave it at that.

But now that I have skis that beg me to wander off the groomers, I'm more mindful of how quickly everything can go very, very wrong even when you think you're being careful, so it's time to get serious about a whistle. I do have one, but after it failed to hail my buddies who were on a raft that was not very far upwind, I want something really, really loud. After looking at the whistle geargrrl linked I found this one, which is a little cheaper on Amazon than on the NRS website:

It's 3.25” x 1.76” to the smaller one's 3” x .75” (easier to find and handle with gloves on), the mouthpiece is longer (easier to keep in your mouth without holding it), and it has a slightly lower pitch (audible over both high-frequency ski noises & low engine sounds). NRS says it's one of the loudest available, and for what it's worth, it's audible underwater. I often ski with my zipper at least part way open, so maybe I'll sew short cords with clips attached somewhere around the collar areas of my most-used jackets, maybe under a storm flap at neck height.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
For the most part I like skiing alone, and I do it quite a bit. I am social though, and when I get the chance to ski with a good and adventurous small group it is great - especially off-piste.

Oh year, and I have a whistle in my pack - the idea about keeping it more accessible is not bad...

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yurh, not joking on that. Think twice about asking people here "should I buy/do X" with any hope that they'll be supporting your "No" answer. I've never seen a group of bigger enablers in my life.
Bwahahahahaha!!!! :rotf:

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I usually ski alone... last year it was mostly down to not having the same days off as my hubby, but I'm betting I'll be doing quite a lot of solo skiing this year too since he had knee surgery earlier this year and has managed to convince himself (despite my best efforts) that he will never do more than green runs ever again :rolleyes:

I'm not a terribly social skier... I'm usually piping music into my helmet so I mostly don't hear what people are saying to me on the lift and just carry on in my own little world. I do venture off piste on my own from time to time, but I try not to do anything totally crazy. After reading this thread I'll be attaching a rescue whistle to my pack!

I'm another Tahoe Local pass holder and tend to split my time between all three resorts, though I am partial to Kirkwood. If we ever get any snow this season it would be nice to meet up with a group and ski together... I think I push myself more when skiing with people who are better than I am, so it's good for me :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
Until I married, I was a solo skier. It was always my preference. I am a strange mix of introvert/extrovert so skiing worked really well for me. I could be social on the lift and talk to people all day long (for a short time at a stretch) and then go be completely by myself. I haven't skied solo (except for a day or 2) since I married 18 yrs ago and I don't miss it. Not because it wasn't enjoyable, but because I really enjoy DH's company. Would I ski solo if he couldn't go? Absolutely!

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hate skiing on my own. I'm a very social person, and as I have to fly to the Alps, my ski trips are always week-long holidays. I love skiing with a group and sharing the experience with friends and/or family.

I've done a few runs on my own here and there, but I didn't enjoy it as much.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I love skiing alone. There is nothing like it! I almost always skied alone until I started meeting Divas here on the forum. I'm passionate about skiing and there were just no family or friends who shared my enthusiasm. Even those who do ski are content to go 3 or 4 times a year. The rest of the time I skied alone - including travel to and from the mountain, lunch, etc. I just love the experience all around though.

Now that I do have ski buddies, I'm learning to love that way of being on the mountain as well. But I can't imagine ever abandoning "alone-skiing". I think it's just wonderful to feel that sense of independence. To be alone with my thoughts. To go where I want, when I want. To stop and enjoy the view - for as long as I want. To challenge myself and then congratulate myself when I feel like I conquered a fear or did something well. It can be a very "zen" sport. :smile: I like to indulge in that aspect of it.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love skiing alone. There is nothing like it! I almost always skied alone until I started meeting Divas here on the forum. I'm passionate about skiing and there were just no family or friends who shared my enthusiasm. Even those who do ski are content to go 3 or 4 times a year. The rest of the time I skied alone - including travel to and from the mountain, lunch, etc. I just love the experience all around though.

Now that I do have ski buddies, I'm learning to love that way of being on the mountain as well. But I can't imagine ever abandoning "alone-skiing". I think it's just wonderful to feel that sense of independence. To be alone with my thoughts. To go where I want, when I want. To stop and enjoy the view - for as long as I want. To challenge myself and then congratulate myself when I feel like I conquered a fear or did something well. It can be a very "zen" sport. :smile: I like to indulge in that aspect of it.
Yes, "zen" is a great way to describe the feeling of skiing alone. I love that feeling too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga