• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skiing alone - thoughts?

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied alone for the first time last week Thursday. At first, I was nervous about it, thought I'd just do a couple of runs, but ended up skiing all day! I actually loved the freedom of skiing where I want, how fast I want, how slow I want, taking a break when I wanted to, and not taking a break when I didn't want to. Loon got about 6 inches of new snow the night before, so that helped - it was fun working on my powder "skills" alone.

Also - side note - I bought the BP 88s towards the end of last year, and it was the first time I got to test them out in some nice powder (not heavy, wet crud lol) And they were fun :-)

canannie

Certified Ski Diva
I had a great morning skiing alone and decided to stop for lunch. I could not find my pass anywhere and so decided to pack it in and go home. Went to my car and low and behold there it was. I had no issues skiing without my IKON pass. I was not stopped once !

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had a great morning skiing alone and decided to stop for lunch. I could not find my pass anywhere and so decided to pack it in and go home. Went to my car and low and behold there it was. I had no issues skiing without my IKON pass. I was not stopped once !
Where?

ornatewrasse

Diva in Training
When I first started skiing many years ago, I used to go up to the mountain with the Ladies Mid Week Skiing Program. Back in those days, I was skiing primarily in groups. However, since those days I've done a lot of skiing alone and it doesn't phase me one bit. Once time I was in Salt Lake City with my ex and since he was working, I decided to go to Alta by myself. It so happened that I hooked up with some newlyweds staying at my hotel who had just gotten married the day before! We all drove up to the mountain together, but after that I didn't see them at all until it was time to head back to the hotel. It's hard to believe that the lift ticket back then at Alta cost me only $15. However, I will not take too many risks when skiing alone. If, on the other hand, I am with a friend or two or a group, I will be more risky . I think it's best to ski with someone else whose ability is just above your ability. They are not so far above your ability that you will end up going on runs that are terrifying for you and they are not so far below your ability that it becomes boring to ski the beginner (or similar) slopes. I used to ski with a friend and we'd go up to the mountain on our birthdays (her birthday was on February 9th and mine was on February 8th) I'd come up to a scary looking hill and stop, at which point she'd say to me "Ellen you can do it! Just get over the initial part and you'll be fine". Hearing comments like that, I would tackle the slope and improve my ability. By myself I would not have taken the risk.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday two women on the lift did invite me to ski with them. I thanked them profusely and declined since I couldn’t see anything! I wanted the option to be slow. A sunny day? I’d have taken a run.

CindiSue

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've never skied not alone! I don't even understand how to ski with someone else. Do you ski down separately but sit together on the chairlift? Stay together the whole run? I just don't know many other skiers and my husband is way better than me.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've never skied not alone! I don't even understand how to ski with someone else. Do you ski down separately but sit together on the chairlift? Stay together the whole run? I just don't know many other skiers and my husband is way better than me.

I guess the actual mechanics of it may be different depending on the dynamics of the group. To me it means pretty much doing the same routes, but at your own speed and meeting up along the way if someone stops during a run or just meeting at the lift if not. So everyone knows the plan and meeting spot to get to. Could also decide to do a different path on a run if someone wants to venture off and another doesn't, then meeting back at the lift. Then having that person or group to share lift rides, breaks, lunch, apres etc. If in trees etc. then that's different depending where you are and it might actually mean keeping the other person within view for safety in the terrain.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We usually decide what run we are going to do on the lift, and then whoever is ahead of the other will stop and wait at somepoint on the way down (sometimes it's me, most of the time it is my husband) We discuss conditions, whatever happened on the trail so far, then continue down the trail. One of the mst important things is either waiting for the other(s) at a point where the trails split to diffferent areas, or deciding beforehand where to meet up.

One of the things I did notice when I skied alone -- no breaks! I felt like skiing all the way down the trail without stopping was more tiring (especially in the fresh snow!)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Really depends on who the other skiers are and the trail layout. If they are friends, then usually the idea is talk before skiing down about how to meet up for the lift ride up. For a run or two, could be that the slower skier goes first. Then the faster skier(s) goes ahead at their own pace. The idea is that everyone gets to the lift around the same time. If I'm the faster skier, I prefer to wait and see what my friend(s) doing before starting. I may pass them, I may not. Depends on the situation at the time. When I am the slower skier on more challenging terrain, I want my ski buddy to be behind me in case I need help. In some places, it's possible to go two different ways and meet up at the chair. That works better at smaller mountains in the northeast or mid-Atlantic than out west where trails are typically much longer.

If I'm in the mood to make a new friend when skiing solo, I'll strike up a conversation on the lift and then perhaps make a run together. Must admit that there are times when I've watched someone ski first to see if they are compatible in terms of skiing ability. Since I ski midweek, riding lifts solo all day gets old. Have had a good time skiing for a few runs or even an hour or two at small mountains in the northeast in recent years by keeping a lookout for other solo skiers.

Having a Ski Diva sticker on my skis or a sticker from a resort can be one way to start a conversation with a friendly stranger.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can still take breaks alone. I actually feel more freedom to stop (or not) when I'm alone versus with others since I'm only worried about myself on those occassions.
Haha true - and I did (I'm old lol) But I didn't stop as long - no one to talk to so ...ski on! :-)

Carolh

Diva in Training

Ok I have been completely inspired. I just started a meetup group in my area. I’m tired of skiing alone or with some very random group of strangers on a ski bus. (One time the whole bus was basically a church group and me... and everyone else was total beginners except me....not exactly an inclusive feeling). My partner doesn’t ski and all my old ski buddies have moved away.

If you are in the Bay Area and want to meet drop me a line. Here is the meetup: https://meetu.ps/c/4d0pw/81Zy4/a - Bay Area Tech Mamas Love Tahoe

Looking forward to an amazing powder day coming up!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Ok I have been completely inspired. I just started a meetup group in my area. I’m tired of skiing alone or with some very random group of strangers on a ski bus. (One time the whole bus was basically a church group and me... and everyone else was total beginners except me....not exactly an inclusive feeling). My partner doesn’t ski and all my old ski buddies have moved away.

If you are in the Bay Area and want to meet drop me a line. Here is the meetup: https://meetu.ps/c/4d0pw/81Zy4/a - Bay Area Tech Mamas Love Tahoe

Looking forward to an amazing powder day coming up!

There are a good amount of Divas in your area. Once you reach 25 posts you'll be able to see the Diva's Only section where there are threads for local meetups. Keep posting!

My fiance doesn't ski either, so I'm in your same boat! It's great to have other ladies to ski with, and you can find some awesome ones here.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm happy skiing alone or with my family. Generally with the family I ski alone because my kids have skied off and left me since they are so far advanced.

One of the last times they left me, I couldn't get my skis back on and the people on the lift above me where giving me advise. Finally got them on and skied down. Im always the odd person out on lifts so Im always talking to someone on the lift ride up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga