• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skier's Edge sale ends 6/16: Input wanted

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So...my better half got what looks to be a pretty amazing offer on the SE T5 Big Mountain All Mountain Master for $880 -- apparently 50% off. That's actually cheaper than an annual gym membership where we live (assuming we actually use it). Some questions for Skier's Edge-savvy divas:

1. Is this deal really as good as it seems?
2. Can you negotiate on the cost of accessories? Or negotiate on anything else--like shipping, warranties, etc.?
3. What accessories do you recommend?
4. Any thoughts on the "all new" Natural Slope Accessory?
5. Thoughts on the Assistant Coach Balance Bar vs. the Powder/Mogul Master Kit? And is the Powder/Mogul Master Kit harder on your knees?
6. Anything else we should consider or ask SE about...like belts?

Fwiw, I'm not that keen on the powder/mogul accessory since we live on the East Coast -- plus I'm not sure he should do moguls anyway given his knee issues.

Any input would be welcome.

Paging @volklgirl @marzNC @skibum4ever @vanhoskier @dloveski -- and please feel free to tag other SE divas I may have missed. Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sorry, no idea about the new accessories.

Certainly a good price compared to a few years ago. As to whether a gym membership or a SE is worth more, that completely depends on how often you expect to use a machine. Based on my experience using an old SE II, if I were choosing between going to a gym 2-3 times a month (or more) and buying a new SE for ~$1000, I would stick with the gym. I use the TRX at home far more than the SE. YMMV

For those who haven't been around, here are a couple threads about the Skiers Edge:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/skiers-edge-on-sale-thoughts.14626/
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/any-divas-using-a-skiers-edge.4989/

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
P.S. He did two trips out west this season (has a lot of leave built up since he has been at his job for quite a while) and I should be able to do one west trip with him next year...but not sure the powder/mogul add-on is worth it for where we normally ski (West Va or Va).

va_deb

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, @marzNC. What do you like about the TRX? And what do you use it for the most?

marzNC

Angel Diva
What I like about the TRX is that it's good for every part of the body when it comes to strength and flexibility. Also useful for balance and stretching. It made a difference that I learned to use the TRX working with a personal trainer. Took me a few months to decide it was worth buying my own to use at home. I would definitely have bought the TRX sooner if I were still working and traveling for work once a month. After a few months of using the TRX, it was pretty clear that building core strength is a given no matter what TRX exercises you do.

I put a few TRX exercises into my ski fitness blog:
https://over50skifitness.blogspot.com/search/label/TRX

There are other videos in the thread from 2012 that I was posting in while I was learning about the TRX.

https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/trx-suspension-training-what-do-you-think.14948/

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
TRX is a killer workout. I've considered buying one. However, I wouldn't recommend getting TRX unless you've used one with a trainer or in a class first.

As for the SE, the balance bar isn't necessary. Use the poles they provide. I have a slope simulator on mine; it was a free accessory...it encourages more fore/aft balance as it rocks back and forth, so you have to find your balance point while "skiing."

SE workouts are a really good lateral workout. It's difficult to do traditional workouts that provide the lateral muscle work without much impact that is also aerobic at the same time.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a TRX, but sold it to a personal trainer. It needed to be attached to something more secure than what I had. I thought it would work inside the house, but the standard interior doors were not solid enough to be attachment points, and there wasn't enough space elsewhere to extend arms/legs properly for a workout. It's a good tool, though, I'd agree with @vanhoskier that a trainer or class would be the right approach. Also, building up slowly. It's very intense.

Re: lateral training, I've been looking at a lateral motion cardio machine called the Helix. I found only one objective review on it, giving it a mediocre rating . That & the steep-ish price have held me back but to be honest it's still percolating in my brain.

My pilates mat instructor teaches a TRX class at my gym and she's invited me to come and check it out. It looks like a phenomenal workout. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
I had a TRX, but sold it to a personal trainer. It needed to be attached to something more secure than what I had. I thought it would work inside the house, but the standard interior doors were not solid enough to be attachment points, and there wasn't enough space elsewhere to extend arms/legs properly for a workout. It's a good tool, though, I'd agree with @vanhoskier that a trainer or class would be the right approach. Also, building up slowly. It's very intense.

Re: lateral training, I've been looking at a lateral motion cardio machine called the Helix. I found only one objective review on it, giving it a mediocre rating . That & the steep-ish price have held me back but to be honest it's still percolating in my brain.
@VickiK , there IS a lateral exercise that is cheap AND fun....(I just remembered this)....all you need are 2 of those furniture slider things (that you put under legs of chairs, etc to slide them) and a carpet with a shallow nap. Put each foot on a slider and extend one leg straight out to the side while going into a lunge with the other leg. Repeat on the other side....this is a motion similar to speed skating. It's an aerobic as well as a strength move. I used this while rehabbing my knee after meniscus surgery, and a cycling coach used it years ago to strength train our team.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm guessing, but perhaps lateral hops and lunges on a BOSU works some of the same muscles as the Skier's Edge. The first item I bought for home use when doing knee rehab was a BOSU. Soon found that it's good for a lot more than improving 1-leg balance. Even a lot that can be done for upper body strength.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I injured my knee doing lateral hops on the TRX in January. It derailed my workout schedule,not to mention some of my ski season. Both of these suggestions are great, I'd just need to exercise caution in performing them. Thanks!

marzNC

Angel Diva
For any petite women or parents with kids who are getting serious about skiing, the LT Carver may be worth checking out. It's about the same size as early models. The LT was designed for people up to 150 pounds. The video is from 2012 and has several nationally ranked kids showing that even kids under 50 pounds can use the LT Carver.

For comparison, here are the specs for the LT Carver and the Classic designed for home use by adults.

LT Carver
Length: 55 Inches
Width: 14.5 inches
Frame Height: 10 inches
Rail Incline: 17 degrees
Powerbands: 2
Resistance Settings: 9 Settings

T5 Classic
Length: 63 Inches
Width: 14.5 inches
Frame Height: 9.3 inches
Rail Incline: 10.5 degrees