• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Skier's Edge on sale...thoughts?

marzNC

Angel Diva
This video is a demonstration of the LT Carver by kids who were top racers in their age category, weight from 39 to about 70 pounds. They are using the LT Powder/Mogul Master footbeds, which are a separate accessory, and adjustable poles.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For future reference, here are sale prices for early May 2013 that Skiers Edge sent out their e-list. I gather they typically do an inventory sale in the spring. The RPM footbeds are slightly more adjustable and allow for other advanced accessories.

LT Carver: $1680, sale $1065
T5 Classic, All Mountain Master: $1560, sale $945
T5 Big Mountain, All Mountain Master: $1680, sale $1065
T5 Big Mountain, RPM: $1960, sale $1345
T5 World Cup, All Mountain Master: $1980, sale $1365
T5 World Cup, RPM: $2240, sale $1625

Have heard that shipping can be around $100.

Inoffensive Nickname

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There was an ancient version of this machine that had a top rail to hang on to at the YMCA where I work out, but the belts kept sticking and it made a horrible squeaking noise. They told me it was "out for repair" at the beginning of the ski season but I am pretty sure they retired it, since I seemed to be the only one who ever used it, and I haven't seen it since. In spite of the machine having only lateral movement (not an arc motion, like the newer machines), I still highly recommend it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
For future reference, here are sale prices for early May 2013 that Skiers Edge sent out their e-list. I gather they typically do an inventory sale in the spring. The RPM footbeds are slightly more adjustable and allow for other advanced accessories.

Been interesting to get the emails from Skiers Edge about end of season sales. Today is supposed to be the "last day" for deals. The savings for a T5 model is $700 and $900 for QS5 models, plus they include a 5-year warranty that includes the bands and normally costs $250.

LT Carver: $1680, sale $1180 (save $500)
T5 Classic, All Mountain Master: $1560, sale $860
T5 Big Mountain, All Mountain Master: $1680, sale $980
T5 Big Mountain, RPM: $1960, sale $1260
T5 World Cup, All Mountain Master: $1980, sale $1280
T5 World Cup, RPM: $2240, sale $1540
QS5 Class RPM: $2900, sale $2000
QS5 Big Mountain, RPM: $3100, sale $2200
QS5 World Cup, RPM: $3399, sale $2499

marzNC

Angel Diva
There is now a page on the Skiers Edge website about buying used equipment. Includes the history of the different models with pictures. Something I didn't know was that changes were made for the S4 to better simulate using shaped skis for which a wider stance is used than for straight skis of the 1990's. For ski conditioning, I don't see that it makes much difference.

"Many used machine buyers don’t realize the used machine they are buying may be of the old vintage that teaches the old ski technique, and not the current techniques! All Skier’s Edge models designated as “Skier’s Edge” -“Original’, “SE II”, and some “SE III’s” were designed around the old style, straight ski. Modern ski techniques require a wider stance and edging with both skis. All current Skier’s Edge machines “S4”s, “QS5”s,"T5"s, "LT Carvers" and a few “SIII’s” are designed to simulate skiing techniques on today’s modern skis. "

I'd read complaints that Skiers Edge wouldn't sell an accessory to someone who bought a used model unless they also bought a replacement power band. That policy is clearly spelled out:

"Replacement bands are available only through the Skier’s Edge Company and carry a two-year warranty. Using Power Bands older than two years will be at your own risk. Skier's Edge will not sell any replacement parts or upgrades for a used machine unless Power Bands are purchased or are less than 2 years old."

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's been interesting to see how often Skiers Edge sends out "Final Sale" emails during the summer. Got one today that goes until Sept. 6. Mostly for bundles.

Skidoc

Diva in Training
So I finally made a decision and ordered one--Big Mountain RPM with the lifebeat feedback system and the transport wheels. I will probably look into the slope simulator and upper body accessories after I start using it. Thanks for all the input! Now it's time to get my ass in shape!
So, what happened? Did it help you?

dividedsky75

Angel Diva
I have rheumatoid arthritis, so my exercise schedule is a bit erratic. When I'm able to do it on a regular basis, I find that it's great for keeping my legs in shape and helps build muscle in areas that help my knees. It's a big investment, but if you have the money and space, I think it's a good way to go. Just don't listen to music that makes you want to dance while you're on it. You may find yourself almost falling off with tangled poles. Not that I've done that or anything. :smile:

Skidoc

Diva in Training
Lol Thank you! I'm just an eternal intermediate/ advance skier. Wanted to know if it helped you skiing better.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Lol Thank you! I'm just an eternal intermediate/ advance skier. Wanted to know if it helped you skiing better.
Anything that increases and maintains core strength and leg strength during the off season helps. The Skier's Edge is more ski-specific but whether or not it's useful for a particular individual is a different question. Based on my limited experience, I have no doubt that someone who uses any model of SE 2-3 times a week during the off season, or even just in the 2-3 months before ski season starts, will have a better season. For me, I do other stuff far more often. So the cheap SE II from craigslist (local pick up) was worth it, but I'm not likely to spend $1000+ on a more current model. I do find it more fun when it's raining outside than the recumbent bike for a cardio workout.

mahgnillig

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's definitely more fun than any of the other home exercise machines that I've had... I suppose time will tell if I actually keep using it!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I still use mine every fall, and I've had it 8? years now? I use it way more than my spin bike, for sure. My SE 3 doesn't really give me the leg separation I want, but otherwise, I think it does a pretty good job of working and training the main ski muscles. It especially helps to get rid of excessive rotary movements and aids in becoming a more "active" skier. I credit it and my Shiros for my increasing success in powder and junky, cruddy spring slush and glop.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Just got a mailing from SE with the "best" prices for 2016 for their usual end of season inventory sale. Interesting that the sale prices are about $100 less than in 2013 even though the retail prices are higher.

JUNE 2016 SALE PRICES
T5 Classic, All Mountain Master: $1620, sale $820
T5 Big Mountain, All Mountain Master: $1760, sale $960
T5 Big Mountain, RPM: $2040, sale $1240
T5 World Cup, All Mountain Master: $2060, sale $1260
T5 World Cup, RPM: $2320, sale $1520
QS5 Classic RPM: $2960, sale $1960
QS5 Big Mountain, RPM: $3200, sale $2200
QS5 World Cup, RPM: $3480, sale $2480

The new accessory is Natural Slope platform, which is another approach to work on dynamic balance. It's a little less expensive than the Slope Simulator platforms that adjusts in multiple directions.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Does anyone have updated pricing? I'd LOVE to get a T5 Big Mountain RPM!
I have a Big Mountain Skier's Edge that I am thinking of getting rid of. Not because it doesn't work, it does...it is great exercise and strengthens the lateral muscles of the legs, as well as helps limit upper body rotation. My issue is that ever since I joined my boxing gym, I've been getting my workouts there, and we do a lot of lateral movements in our classes that I believe benefit skiing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga