• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Sundown, New Hartford CT - 12/12/2007 (night)

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Date Skied: 12/12/2007 (night)

Ski Area:
Ski Sundown, New Hartford CT

Conditions: hardpack, clear skies, 30 degrees or so

Trip Report:
Hubby and I met up with 2 members of AZ for a few turns at our local ski hill. Beautiful night to be out. Clear skies and hardly anyone there. No wait for the lifts at all.

Hubby and I warmed up on Little Joe, which was slippery hardpack. I had the Marie Martinods on and they weren't too happy over there. After a couple warmups, we went over to Canyon Run. The snow was churned up a bit better in the middle of the trail. I cautiously made my way down, then we met our ski partners at the top. Went down Canyon Run again, then switched over to Nor'easter. No moguls yet, in case anyone was wondering. By the end of the evening, I was ready to take on Temptor (the first time I've been on it). Apparently I needed to be taken down a notch because I took this one way too fast and had a spectacular wipeout going over a couple of small bumps. Lost both the skis and went flying down. I don't even remember much - I was on my back, then somehow ended up on my belly, and when I stopped, my back and left knee hurt. And my pride, of course. I decided to end the night there and I returned to the lodge while everyone else took one more run down Stinger before calling it a night.

I still have a lot to learn. Boots aren't quite right either. But we had some great company and even if I looked like a fool at the end, at least I'm progressing. I went down the trails faster than I used to (which is something I'm working on this season) with less and shorter stops.

BTW, the Maries were great when we moved over off the Sunnyside (beginner) part of the mountain. I'm so glad I splurged on them. They're keepers!

PS-I'm a low intermediate getting back into the sport after a nearly 4 year hiatus involving 2 pregnancies and a broken 5th metatarsal on my left foot. Before those 4 years, I only had one season of about 18 days under my belt. I may not be the advanced skier that many (most?) of you are, but I figured I'd take a chance and post my report for any who might be interested in a different perspective. It was a big deal for me last night to accomplish what I did. Even hubby noticed a difference in me. He claimed I was fearless - I wouldn't go that far. My heart was thumping heavily the entire time. But at least I'm giving it a shot so I can advance this year. :thumbsup:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
You Go, Girl!

Hats off to you, Severine. Getting back on skis after a long hiatus is always challenging --- and no, most of us aren't necessarily hot skiers. I'm an "aging" diva myself and find I need to garner some greater respect for any slope. Hope you're feeling okay after your wipe-out - with your little ones at home, there's little time to baby/doctor yourself! (Been there, done that!) I think it's absolutely great that you're out there going for it! By the time your kids are ready to get on skis, you'll be ready for it as well --- then you are in for the time of your life. When I see the little ones out there, it just brings tears to my eyes (am I ready for grandkids???? :eek: ) --- I envy what's ahead for you, just brings back a ton of memories for me.

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoorah! Glad to hear you had such a good time. It's only December - if you're fearless now, just think what you'll be by the end of the season!:ski2: I haven't been to Sundown yet; was Gunbarrel open?

retromaven

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Severine,

Thanks for posting, and I appreciate your candor and honesty, as well as a great review! I am in the same position. I had two very difficult, later in life, high risk pregnancies and have lupus, so I have not skied in 9 years, albeit, I had 20+ years of skiing under my belt and was an advanced skier when I stopped due to health and child bearing issues. That being said, I would think being out of it for so long, I would be re-starting as an intermediate skier.

I have bought all new gear, with some recommendations and great help from these forums (still waiting on my Fischer Vision 70s, should arrive Monday), and will be hitting the slopes in the form of a weekly women's clinic at a small, unintimidating ski area to get my legs and form back. Getting used to the new gear, recovering my snow legs and dealing with my new body (substantially heavier than my former ski days), ravaged by lupus (arthritis, chronic muscle and joint pain, but exercise is good for it, albeit painful, so I go for it, fortunate to have an indoor jacuzzi to nurse those aches! LOL) and my age...well, it should be interesting - but like you, I'm totally up for it, as I believe in doing what I love until I absolutely can't! While I'm sure there are some things you never forget, I know my form and technique will need much work, and I'm sure until I get it all together again, I will be dealing with many the issues you are. Still, you're having a great time and that's what counts! I'll let you know about my first spectacular wipe out! LOL

Again, thanks for the review, and I look forward to your continued reviews and hearing how you progress over the course of the season! :clap:

JJ/Retromaven

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga