• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

ski storage

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read that you are not supposed to store your skis hanging by the tips, which is how I have seen most ski racks operate. How do you guys store your skis/equipment over the summer? What is the proper way to store them? Any other tips I need to know as a noob? I don't have a rack/bag/wax anything yet...

Jilly

Staff member
We store ours flat on the floor at the condo between weekends. Out of sight of the windows too. For the summer, we store them bases up in the rafters of the garage. Bindings hanging down, with a big coat of wax.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We store ours standings straight up in a basement closet - we have a nice dry basement. Doesn't seem to have done any of them any harm.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Our skis live standing up in the corner of the bedroom -- one of the many joys of tiny nyc apartments. The only plus side is it prevents me from buying several pairs, since we have no place to put them. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
If you can, store them under the bed. If they lean up against the wall, its possible to get a bend in the ski that you won't like. A few years ago there were a pair of skis brought into the shop. The tips were off centre by at least 1 inch. The guy had stored them in his closet leaning up against the wall. The top/tips of the skis had warpped from the pressure. So lay them flat if you can.

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly said:
...If they lean up against the wall, its possible to get a bend in the ski that you won't like. A few years ago there were a pair of skis brought into the shop. The tips were off centre by at least 1 inch. The guy had stored them in his closet leaning up against the wall. The top/tips of the skis had warpped from the pressure.

:eek:

Thank you for the info!!!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My outdoor retail (OR) expert is emphatic about our "off season" treatment of the skis. First, he insists on a protective wax---something about sealing the porous p-tex (sp) finish that tends to dry out (this sealant must also be removed before next season when you wax and sharpen the edges). Next---release the binding. Many folks do not release the binding, apparently causing some tension/spring wear and tear (the engineering specifics escape me). He is adamant about these two things, as well as keeping the skis in a cool dry place and keeping the boots in a cool, dry closet and not in damp basements or garages that heat up in the summer.

I used to just dump everything in the garage and forget about them, until my OR guy lectured me on these sloppy practices.

Jilly

Staff member
I don't know about releasing the tension on the bindings. I can't see where that would be necessary as the boots aren't in the bindings. As for brakes, you could tie them up like you would when tuning. That way they would take less space under the bed. The wax coating is necessary and that way you remove all the dust that can accumulate too.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Clarification

I don't mean release tension---just lift the heel release up---don't clamp them down, not an actual adjustment of tension.

Jilly

Staff member
Now I got ya!! They used to suggest releasing the toe setting. But I think that might had been before DIN was universal. Like the first step-in bindings!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna