• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski sock recommendations...with one twist

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Okay, so I'm in the market for some ski socks because I just bought new boots and the bootfitter scolded me and is reluctant to make any more tweaks until I've tried them with actual ski socks. However, there's a reason I don't use ski socks - they make my legs cramp up terribly when skiing. I can only attribute this to the fact that they are tight around the calves, because I don't have any issues with tights, or regular socks that are looser. Even when ski socks aren't specifically billed as compression socks, they cause me no end of trouble. (I even had to take off the ski socks they were having me use in the shop when I was boot shopping for this reason, and went back to my little slip-on socks for wearing with flats).

(has anyone else ever had this issue? I do have pretty big calves. So much so that it is very rare for me to be able to buy even regular street boots without getting them stretched out)

Does anyone have any recommendations for ski socks that are of a more relaxed fit up top?

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It sounds like what you need are socks that actually fit you, not necessarily ski socks. I actually wear non ski compression socks. There are some ski specific details that can be nice in ski socks but if they don't fit then they're not OK.

Amazon has socks with extra wide tops, and the compression socks I use have an extra wide calf version.

Just make sure no cotton, few seams, thin-ish. Fitted.

Jilly

Staff member
I wear ski socks from Columbia or Lorpen. I have had problems with Lorpen being too tight in the top. I've one pair to give away because of that.

Usually my socks stretch out and start to fall down into the boot. Then it's time to make them into shoe shine gear.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
To be fair, i do have relatively small feet for how tall I am, so it could be that the socks that fit my feet are always going to be out of proportion for my already big calves.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
It sounds like what you need are socks that actually fit you, not necessarily ski socks. I actually wear non ski compression socks. There are some ski specific details that can be nice in ski socks but if they don't fit then they're not OK.

Amazon has socks with extra wide tops, and the compression socks I use have an extra wide calf version.

Just make sure no cotton, few seams, thin-ish. Fitted.
Do you just search "wide tops" on amazon or is there something better?

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be fair, i do have relatively small feet for how tall I am, so it could be that the socks that fit my feet are always going to be out of proportion for my already big calves.
It seems like the wide calf socks are just wide calf, not large socks.

Search for wide calf socks.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I have issues with many womens ski sock brands being too tight in the calf, even in size large. Smartwool is one brand that is often too tight, Darn Tough is a toss up. I've had success with Lorpen and Fox River. I don't seem to have this issue with men's socks. I've also found the more detailed stitching/design there is, the less stretch, so many of my ski socks are "boring". But who sees them but me in the lodge?

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After buying ski specific socks for a few years, I now just wear the women's wool trouser socks from Costco. They don't go up your calf. Unless you're racing I don't think a "ski specific" sock even with the "extra" shin padding is going to make/break it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have issues with many womens ski sock brands being too tight in the calf, even in size large. Smartwool is one brand that is often too tight, Darn Tough is a toss up. I've had success with Lorpen and Fox River. I don't seem to have this issue with men's socks. I've also found the more detailed stitching/design there is, the less stretch, so many of my ski socks are "boring". But who sees them but me in the lodge?

I agree on the Smartwool women’s being tight, but have good luck with the Unisex/men’s Ultralight

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sheer (pantyhose thickness) knee high wide calf trouser socks work for me. I use them when I have new liners and can't fit a regular sock in there. I like taller socks as they tend to stay up and not bunch. Not sure it is of any help, but may work for you.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Sheer (pantyhose thickness) knee high wide calf trouser socks work for me. I use them when I have new liners and can't fit a regular sock in there. I like taller socks as they tend to stay up and not bunch. Not sure it is of any help, but may work for you.
That's a good suggestion! I'll give that a try.

knolan12

Angel Diva
I just tried compression socks off of a recommendation here and my calves felt GREAT at the end of the day. At some point during the day, I thought I might switch to regular ski socks (thin SmartWools) and went to go roll down the socks, and it didn't feel any different (usually taking off ski socks are sweet, sweet relief for my calves haha). The compression socks I have are from Amazon and originally bought for a 30 hour flight (and they did also work very well to deal with my calves/feet swelling there haha).

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My calves are developed but they're not huge, so I've worn a number of brands. Point 6 are the current frontrunners.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna