• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Ski selection - beginner

Solongo

Diva in Training
I'm switching to skiing and looking for help to decide which skis would a better fit to start with.
I'm 5'1" and 120 lbs, very athletic and quick learner.

I came the following used skis and would like insight. I don't want to invest in proper skis until I become a bit proficient as skiing first.

152 cm Elan wave magic skis and fusion Elu9 bindings
144 cm Salomon Attack Spaceframe

Look forwarding to hearing your feedbacks :smile:

Thanks!
Solongo

Jilly

Staff member
I'm not up on Elan skis, but I help at a shop that is a Salomon dealer. Can't say I've ever heard of the Attack Spaceframe. Where are you looking at either of these skis?

Solongo

Diva in Training
I'm in Alberta, Canada. Looking on Kijiji for used ones to get me started instead of paying for rentals. I'm attaching a picture of the Salomon one that's on the add I saw.

Attachments

• Salomon.jpg
    Salomon.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 18

Jilly

Staff member
Those are rental skis that someone has "picked" up....

So where are you skiing...Banff...Louise...guess not Castle right now? What about your boots? Have you seen a fitter?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Elan wave series dates back to circa 2008 or so, possibly a year or two earlier.

OP is far better off spending a little more and getting a more recent (if used) ski, also spend $ on decent boots and a good fit.

Solongo

Diva in Training
Those are rental skis that someone has "picked" up....

So where are you skiing...Banff...Louise...guess not Castle right now? What about your boots? Have you seen a fitter?

Yes, I have fitted boots already. Picked them up at Whistler, woohoo. I just didn't want to invest in skis until I get a good handle and can decide. I'll be hitting the local hills here, Louise and Sunshine .. snow here is poor but better than South or Whister :D.
Thank you for your reply! Sounds like I'll be going with the Elan pairs :smile:

elemmac

Angel Diva
If you can get the Elan skis for a good price (keeping in mind they are 5+ years old), they'd be a great ski to start out on and learn basic carving technique. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up keeping them as a carver in the future, and get something newer for an everyday ski.

Jilly

Staff member
Did you get fitted by Barry? Ski Connexions? Check with Monods and see if the have anything on sale yet.

Solongo

Diva in Training
Thank you for the tips! I went to Fanatyk in main village, pretty happy with the boots so far but need to get out there and start practicing :smile:

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Keep in mind, at this time of the year you can get great deals on new skis. Or last year's models (even 2 yrs) unused can be had cheaply from many ski shops that have older stock left. I bought a pair of Salomon Topazes several years ago, brand new with bindings for $200. They were demos that never went out, so the shop never even mouted the bindings.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi, Solongo, welcome to ski diva! If you are interested in a pair of beginner's skis - I may have a pair for you. PM me, and I'll give you the info, and if you're close to Calgary, I can drop them off with you.

Solongo

Diva in Training
Keep in mind, at this time of the year you can get great deals on new skis. Or last year's models (even 2 yrs) unused can be had cheaply from many ski shops that have older stock left. I bought a pair of Salomon Topazes several years ago, brand new with bindings for $200. They were demos that never went out, so the shop never even mouted the bindings.
Yeah, that's a great deal and steal you got there! I'm still looking and searching adds and sites, learning as I go :smile:. Bought me Spring season pass just now, just missing skis hehe

Solongo

Diva in Training
Hi, Solongo, welcome to ski diva! If you are interested in a pair of beginner's skis - I may have a pair for you. PM me, and I'll give you the info, and if you're close to Calgary, I can drop them off with you.
Hi Albertan ski girl, I messaged you a few days ago, I hope you got my message.
Look forward to hearing from you soon :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga