• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski Review: Karmas, Dynastar Excl. Powder Legend and Trouble Makers, Mountain Wave

Captain

Certified Ski Diva
Ski Review

Me – 5’7” 140 lbs. Fairly aggressive skier. Ski out west and Europe. Off piste, moguls, trees and powder. I like to make quick, tight turns vice GS.

Conditions
No new snow while we were there. Temps were in the 40s during the day and then cooled down to below freezing at night. Hard moguls that softened up as the day got warmer, some mashed potatoes/slush on the lower runs, crud, nice moguls on the north facing slopes, hard packed groomers with a little ice. No tree skiing or powder to speak of on this trip.

Location – St. Anton, Austria – March 2007 The ski shop we used has a surprisingly large selection of twin tips and high end skis to try. The guys there were very knowledgeable and very helpful. They had several I have been wanting to try, but not enough days to try them all and it was hard to get some in my size which is 160cm – 165cm.

Skis
Volkl Karma 169cm – skied shorter than its 169cm. Busted right through the crud – no problem. Stable on hard pack, steeps, and steep, cement-type crusty moguls. Surprisingly easy to get edge to edge - very nimble! Good through moguls, but felt a little shorter length would be easier in them. Overall a fantastic ski for all conditions one could find out there. Didn’t get to try it in powder and soft moguls but can’t imagine they would disappoint. Loved the twin tip for it’s agility and flexibility to do, go wherever.

Volkl Karma 161cm – Skied the same as the 169, but a little more agile in the moguls and a little less stable on steeps and hard pack groomers. Still a great ski. Having a hard time deciding between the two lengths, but I think I’d go w/ the 161cm since I really like the moguls and they handled the crud and steeps just fine for me. My friend, who skies like I do and was with me, liked it a lot, too.

Dynastar Trouble Makers 169cm – Less stiff than the Karma.. Not near as stable and less easy to maneuver in the moguls. It skied a little longer than the Karmas at that same length. Was able to ski it, but didn’t love it. Less than agility in the moguls, lack of stability and lack of ability to go edge to quickly were my main gripes.

Mountain Wave 170/2 cm – Skied so long, I couldn’t enjoy it. Turned it in after 2 – 3 runs. Heard it’s a great boutique ski and would have liked to have tried it in a (much) shorter length.

Dynastar Exclusive Powder Legend – 172cm – Wow – what an awesome ski on the steeps and in crud! It’s so stable and it turns nicely. I would have done better in a shorter ski, but even at 172, I was able to maneuver it just fine. Skied moguls with it and it was surprisingly nimble– even at that length and its wide waist. Was easy to go edge to edge and very stable on hard pack grooms and ice. What made this stand out from the others was the balance I had on it. NO issues staying forward – I always felt in the right place on the ski. Am seriously considering it as my powder ski. But then, again, what else is out there to try?  Would have loved to have tried it a little shorter. If I get it, I will definitely get the 165cm.

Didn’t get a chance to try the Dynastar Legend 8000 or the Head im.82 and .88. Heard all three rock. They just didn’t have them in my size or close to it. Would love to hear from anyone who has tried these three as well as others skis and provide comparisons to what I've reviewed above.

Thanks!

Captain

Certified Ski Diva
Oops! I forgot one that I demo'd:

Atomic Snoop Daddy -
This was the widest ski I skied at 88mm underfoot. Was not too impressed. I was distracted by the click-clack of the tips as I skied - anything, that is. After i got over the clacking, I was able to focus on the performance. It didn't bust through the crud nicely like the Karmas, was harder to ski the bumps - kind of threw me around - and it was hard to for me to stay forward - I felt like I was always being thrown back. I even went back and asked them to mount the bindings 1 cm forward - didn't help much. It wasn't a carver (not meant to be), and was not particularly stable on the steeps and on hard pack and ice on the groomers. My friend, the one who also skied the Karmas and liked the Karmas, however, liked these skies. Not as much as the Karmas, but she didn't find them as hard to ski or as unforgiving as I did. She's better than me so that's probably why. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga