• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski resorts near New York or Washington DC

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am planning a trip to visit some family and friends in January 2011. I will have a few days in New York City, maybe one or two in Greenwich, CT and a few in Washington DC. I might be able to fit a cheeky days skiing in somewhere around here, where would people recommend?

Thanks!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am planning a trip to visit some family and friends in January 2011. I will have a few days in New York City, maybe one or two in Greenwich, CT and a few in Washington DC. I might be able to fit a cheeky days skiing in somewhere around here, where would people recommend?

Thanks!

How far outside of the cities are you willing to go? Day trip, or multiple day?

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like Belleayre in the southern Catskills. It's about a 90 minute drive from NYC and they do a nice job managing the snow. It's an old school mountain more than a resort. It has lots of intermediate terrain, most black runs are pretty short, but still fun.

Others in that general area are Windham and Hunter. Windham has a nice setup for families and Hunter seems to be the most popular and has the more challenging terrain.

Of the three, I like Belleayre; it has a nice vibe.

abc

Banned
From NYC:

For mid-week, Belleayre or Hunter; weekend, Plattekill. Plattekill maybe 1/2 hr further away, but you end up skiing far more by NOT having to stand in life queues for 15 minutes every run.

However, Janurary is a rather iffy time of the year snow-wise. So don't get your hope too high. If it's cold but dry, Hunter has one of the best snow making. Just be prepared for massive crowds if it's on a weekend.

For a very very long day, Gore or Mt Snow.

From Greenwich, you might want to just head up to the Berkshires (Jiminy, Berkshire East etc) instead of fighting the crowds in the Catskills.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second Bellearye in the east Catskills, over the other two. I think the area that's closest to NYC may be in NJ, though, Mountain Creek. If you can do it, I'd recommend going out to Plattekill, which is ~3 hours away from NYC. It's only open on weekends, though.

In the DC area, the closest is Whitetail, in PA. It's about 1.5 hours away from the city. I get bored of the area after about 4 hours. There's also its sister hill, Roundtop, but I've never been there. It's 2.5 hours from DC, and smaller. Lots of times when people say they're going to DC, they're really not in the city, so you may be closer or farther away, depending. Those are basically your only options less than a 3-hour drive away.

For a really long day trip, I recommend either Timberline or Canaan Valley, in WV. They're in the same valley, 3.5 hours each way from DC, but I've done it as a day trip.

I don't want to be a downer, but if I were going to be in the DC-area for only a few days, I'm not sure checking out the slopes would be how I'd spend them unless there's snowfall like there was last year. :smile: Also, be mindful of the MLK holiday, if that's when you're there. Lots of crowds on weekends, especially school holidays.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the replies. We will probably only try to fit a day in if the snow is really good, probably nearer NYC by the sounds of it. I have cousins who live in DC and have been a few times before although not for a while, I've never been to NY but a friend has moved there for work and I saw really cheap flights so....... :smile: I couldn't come all the way across the Atlantic and not visit my relatives in DC so that's why the 2 centres

marta

Angel Diva
Mountain Creek would be alright, if it's a weekday. On weekends though, it gets pretty nuts. It's only 1 hour from NYC and is the biggest mtn nearest the city. The Catskills mountains are a good 2-1/2 hr drive up the thruway. Poconos mountains are also a good bet, about 1-3/4 hrs from the city. From Connecticut, the Berkshires are easy to get to.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
RE: Areas from DC - Roundtop has less vertical than Whitetail but more varied terrain including green bumps (! :D), blue bumps, black bumps and one incredibly steep headwall for a ski area of that size. I agree about Whitetail. I seem to get bored there after a couple of hours. Runs are too similar or something . . . .

Wisp in western MD is probably a bit too far for a day trip but has alot more terrain than either Roundtop or Whitetail and is at a higher elevation - so definitely more snow. Would probably be more appropriate for a trip where you run out there in the evening after your day in DC. Ski the next day and then drive back.

RE: Areas from NY
If you even consider coming west into PA from NYC (via I-80), the best ski area, IMHO, in northeastern PA is Elk Mt, followed by Blue Mt and then Camelback. The first two have ~ 1000 ft vertical. Camelback is maybe 800 ft. ?? Elk has the best terrain but more old timey in terms of lifts. Blue and Camelback have multiple high speed quads but that also puts more skiers on the runs in a hurry. Oh . . .and Camelback is the most accessible since it's right adjacent to the interstate (I-80) - less than 2 hrs from the city.

Hope that helps!! :smile:

abc

Banned
Mountain Creek would be alright, if it's a weekday. On weekends though, it gets pretty nuts. It's only 1 hour from NYC and is the biggest mtn nearest the city. The Catskills mountains are a good 2-1/2 hr drive up the thruway. Poconos mountains are also a good bet, about 1-3/4 hrs from the city. From Connecticut, the Berkshires are easy to get to.
I would say that's Mountain Creek's "creative marketing" speak! Thers's absolutely no way to get from NYC to Mountain Creek within an hour, except perhaps in the dead of night!

(It is still the "closest" resort to the city. Just the "largest" part is again more marketing than reality. Well, unless you're a park rat, that is...)

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I worked at Whitetail when I was in high school....if you have an extra day and there is good snow then it may be worth the drive...otherwise there is plenty to see and do in dc that I wouldnt bother with the couple hour drive.....just my opinion though

Marigee

Angel Diva
Regarding areas near D.C. I agree with all of the above. The best in the area, in my opinion is Timberline, but, as Pequenita said, heading that way would make for a very long day trip. It usually takes me 3-3 1/2 hours, but I am familiar with the drive. A day trip on a weekday would be best, as all the resorts tend to get crowded on weekends. Weekends are doable if you get there for first chair and leave when the crowds get bad. All 3 of the Snowtime resorts (Ski Liberty, Whitetail and Roundtop) are interesting for about 4 hours - as everyone else has said. They are the closest to the D.C. area ... so you take what you can get. Unless the snow/weather is good you really might prefer to take in the attractions in D.C.

I work at Whitetail, so if you do happen to decide you want to take a day skiing PM me and I will get you some free lift tickets.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga