• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ski pole length question

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone had their Leki trigger poles cut? I went to the shop at Sunday River to inquire about this today, and the techs I spoke to were not into it at all. They said the grips are a real pain to get off and that the required heating to do so often damages them. Their suggestion was to just get a new pair in the desired size, or even better to get adjustable ones. Ugh, but I really like my current poles..

Yes, I've had mine cut and no one said anything about it being difficult or that I should get new poles. Plus I used to have the identical poles that you have, and they were cut, no problem. Try a different shop.

Last edited:

Scribble

Angel Diva
I have Leki Giulia aluminum poles that I took an inch off of. I heated water in a large pot to 150f, then soaked the grips for a couple minutes. They slid right off with some twisting, and after cutting, I just pushed them on by hand and then banged them against the floor a few times to seat them back in place. The process was more fiddly than difficult, but I could see why a shop wouldn't want to do it on the spot.

newboots

Angel Diva
Now that I work (a modest 6 hours/week) in a shop it amazes me how lazy and careless some of the motley technicians can be. This excludes Mr. Blizzard, of course, who takes all of this very seriously. I've seen one tell a customer, "We don't have that" when he didn't feel like getting up from his chair.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Now that I work (a modest 6 hours/week) in a shop it amazes me how lazy and careless some of the motley technicians can be. This excludes Mr. Blizzard, of course, who takes all of this very seriously. I've seen one tell a customer, "We don't have that" when he didn't feel like getting up from his chair.

One of the techs was someone I’ve dealt with there for years and has done a bunch of different things for me in that time, I don’t think he was just blowing smoke purposely anyway.. hope not. I was surprised about the poles, but think perhaps they have had issues in the past and probably don’t want the liability if the grips get ruined. I am going to check around and see if somewhere else will do it. I like my current poles and don’t want to spend $$ on the adjustable ones when my current ones are just fine. Plenty of other gear on my upgrade list that are much higher priority! Lol

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I've had mine cut and no one said anything about it being difficult or that I should get new poles. Plus I used to have the identical poles that you have, and they were cut, no problem. Try a different shop.

MissySki, I've had Leki poles cut at both Northern Ski Works on the Killington Access Road and at Bootpro in Ludlow. When you're in the area for the Pico Take Over, you could try one or the other.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
And then there's me who ordered bamboo poles from Grassticks, sent them back as not short enough, and now wish they were 2 1/2 cm longer. Two PSIA Level 3 instructors have agreed they are too short @ 104 cm.

MissySki

Angel Diva
MissySki, I've had Leki poles cut at both Northern Ski Works on the Killington Access Road and at Bootpro in Ludlow. When you're in the area for the Pico Take Over, you could try one or the other.

Excellent, thank you for the recommendations! I will definitely stop by one of them if time allows.

mwoodsh

Diva in Training
Does anyone use hiking/trekking poles as their ski pole? I'm trying to decide if I even need to get dedicated ski poles. My hiking poles are adjustable, which is nice, and they have detachable snow baskets.

I ski with adjustable trekking poles that are light and I can switch the baskets based on the season. I love them! That seems like the trend around Montana, for what it's worth. I'm not the most fashionable or knowledgeable skier on the block, though!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone use hiking/trekking poles as their ski pole? I'm trying to decide if I even need to get dedicated ski poles. My hiking poles are adjustable, which is nice, and they have detachable snow baskets.
(The post above is from 2015.)

I got adjustable poles a while back. Really good for experimenting with length. But have one regular ski instructor at a destination resort who doesn't trust adjustable poles. So I also have regular poles.

Ended up with different poles for hiking. The grips and straps on the poles I use for skiing don't fit well for hiking when I don't have thick gloves.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, I never got my poles cut and just found a pink pair of Lekis (I love hot pink ski things so.. lol) in the shorter size so I grabbed them. We'll see when they ever get here with how the mail has been, but I'm excited to shorten to 44 inches from my current 46 inches and see how that goes. I've still been feeling that my current poles are too long in many situations, especially bumps. Should I find I really do get on with the 44 inch poles everywhere on the mountain then I guess I'll eventually get my current poles cut so I can have a backup to leave home for skiing elsewhere than ME. If I hate them after awhile, well hopefully I can sell them.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am thrilled that Northern Ski Works in VT shipped my poles almost immediately from my ordering mid day Tuesday. They just arrived to me in MA today. That was some super fast USPS shipping, way quicker than I expected with how the mail has been going lately. Now I can try out the shorter length this weekend!
B96FF107-5F6D-4EEF-86B9-B13BCEC7CF5D.jpeg

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Tried out the shorter poles today and I love them! I thought they might take a little getting used to, but it just felt natural and much less unwieldy all around. :bounce:
I think we’re the same height at 5’4”. I have 44” poles that I love. I added an adjustable set from Line for when I want 42”. ❤️ them oo!

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I am just finding this post & very glad that I did! I recently went to a shorter pole (115 to 110cm), I am 5’ 4” & I am not sure if I like them...I struggle when in the lift line, since I guess I really relied on the longer poles to push along but I think I am liking the shorter poles for steeps, bumps & the trees. I am trying to decide if it is helping my technique (when on groomers) or if I am “reaching” since I am so used to longer pole & it may be a hard habit to break. I am beginning to think that I was way too upright in the past & now the shorter pole certainly seems to force me down a bit; I think this is a good thing but again, something just feels a bit off ....However, after reading this thread, I am thinking the 110 is the right size; perhaps I just need to adjust my technique to make them feel more natural on the groomers?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna