• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Ski Patrol?

bobolinx

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Divas, I am planning on retiring after 30+ years of teaching. In my early days, I briefly served as an EMT volunteer in my town. I have enjoyed coming back to skiing these last 5 years and am considering training for the ski patrol at my local mountain, Wachusett. Are any of you patrollers? I will be 56, will this be too old? My knees aren't terrific, but I am in good health. Are there any physical stresses I should be aware of? What are some other things I should consider before committing to the training? What about your experience? Thank you for any advice.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a student whose grandmother is a ski patroller here at Blue. Anecdotal guess, but most of the patrollers I notice are well over 40. A couple are pretty visibly out of shape as well. That doesn't necessarily prevent them from doing their jobs well, it's just surprising.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple are pretty visibly out of shape as well.

I think this depends on the resort. I gather ski patrollers on the east coast have a different set of responsibilities than patrollers in Colorado (those being my two main reference points). Of course, @bobolinx appears to be on the east coast ...

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Based on what I saw @Marigee doing during her progression, the particular mountain (Wachusetts-sized) where she patrols has a multi-step process.

I think the biggest limitation is time, of which as a retiree you will have plenty on a day to day basis, but also time in the sense that it's a process that can't be short circuited. I think it took 2 years for her to go from safety team (a prerequisite at this mountain) to patrol, but, I could be wrong - it could have been longer. I know that she did it in the most efficient time frame possible. So in that sense, your general health and fitness to ski (and carry a load of stuff other than your poles while skiing!) over the next few years could be a limiting factor. The physical stuff I can think of, from the outside, are things like being able to pull/control the sled down the worst terrain at your home mountain, carrying bamboo and other markers and ski at the same time in the wind.

If you haven't already spoken to the trainers at your mountain, it seems like it'd be a good place to start.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi Divas, I am planning on retiring after 30+ years of teaching. In my early days, I briefly served as an EMT volunteer in my town. I have enjoyed coming back to skiing these last 5 years and am considering training for the ski patrol at my local mountain, Wachusett. Are any of you patrollers? I will be 56, will this be too old? My knees aren't terrific, but I am in good health. Are there any physical stresses I should be aware of? What are some other things I should consider before committing to the training? What about your experience? Thank you for any advice.
From what I've read and seen at my home mountain, which is slightly smaller than Wachusetts, you should be a prime candidate for ski patrol because of your EMT experience as well as teaching background. A few primary requirements seem to be an interest in helping people, patience, and willingness to learn. Pretty clear you have that down. The minimum about of elapsed time seems to be about two years to full qualification.

I've watch patroller trainees do on-slope training at Massanutten for several years (75 acres in northern VA). Many of the trainees are not much more than intermediates in terms of skiing ability. There is no "off-piste" terrain. I have had a couple lessons that include a patroller who was not really an advanced skier. The hardest part of the sled training is on the one very short run that is usually left with bigger bumps, perhaps 20 turns long and 3 bumps wide. First with an empty sled and eventually with a volunteer sitting in the sled.

Definitely helps to have well-fitting and comfortable ski boots.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might ask about supplementing EMT with Wilderness First Aid or the full Wilderness First Responder (nicknamed "woofer"). There's a different emphasis because the assumption is that you cannot get to an ambulance and full medical care easily.

Jilly

Staff member
West vs East. For example in Ontario you need current St. Jean Ambulance Advanced first aid. Then the sled test. Our patrol is strictly that...first aid. They don't police...that's management's responsibility.

I had to take a course for work. It was almost a complete waste of my time. The only thing I got out of it was the CPR. Which I hadn't done. This course was for a work environment so they assume that first responders are minutes away. Thank god I took the complete course twice over my life time.

bobolinx

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you for your responses. From what I understand the requirements are OEC. The mountain has a crew of Rangers who do the "policing" and try to maintain a safe environment for all types of skiers. My EMT experience is now obsolete so I would have to start again with any first aid training. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I get more info. Right now I am focusing on finishing the year and a couple of family issues that have come up. Thank you for helping!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Many NSP patrols doe OEC. Some require EMT or WFR but it many vary from organization. Some patrols are paid staff, some volunteer, some a combonation. Our patrol (125) volunteers is OEC. They don't care if you are an ER doc, EMT or what, everyone takes OEC so that they all have the same training.

Many of out group are still patrolling well into 60s and 70s. It's running the toboggans and not getting a break in crappy conditions that will wear you out.

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @bobolinx, my first time riding a chairlift was at Wachusett!

National Ski Patrol oversees the training and credentialing of volunteer patrollers with Outdoor Emergency Care (~100 hours), Outdoor Emergency Toboggan, Avalanche Level 1 & 2, etc. See https://www.nsp.org You'll also have hill-specific training check-offs, annual refresher course, and CPR requirements. I've heard mostly of working at least 5 weekends or 10 days per season. Some patrollers complete their training within a year, some much longer. Some ski areas are staffed exclusively by paid professionals, like Mammoth (CA) and Snowbird (UT); some ski areas are a mix of both, like Crystal Mountain (WA) and Snow Summit (CA); mine at Mt Pinos Nordic/Backcountry and Tahoe Backcountry are exclusively by volunteers.

Speaking from my experience in Southern California, we have a 69 yo ski patrol candidate whom I adore. Last fall's OEC course in Burbank had a military family practice physician in his mid 50's who attended every single class and weekend field days, even brought his granddaughter to play our pediatric patient! Couple EMTs were in the bridge program, bypassed the full course but they needed a "sponsoring" instructor for the sign-offs of critical skills that are not taught in EMT programs.

Meeting @Marigee and having a former colleague working in and speaking from the midst of ebola epidemic (long story, will tell another time) were important in my pursuing volunteer ski patrolling over 2 years ago. I began my interest in alpine but changed to nordic/backcountry for the flexible training schedule and my growing interest. I'm currently the youngest patroller by a few years in my crew. Almost everyone has some type of injuries or age-related...limitations.

More importantly, it has to fit your life obligations and you have to enjoy the people you'll be working with. I've found it immensely rewarding personally and it has prepared me well to spend time backcountry. I was going to suggest that you check to see when the next OEC course is offered locally but thought I help you get started. Wachusett should be in the Eastern Division https://www.nspeast.org, but I only found Western Mass region which doesn't include Wachusett. https://www.nspwmr.org/patrols.html Best to contact Kevin McDonald at Wachusett directly and begin a conversation. https://www.wachusett.com/?TabId=92

SoCal region of 12 ski areas had its annual award banquet two days ago and I was "summoned" to attend, got a totally undeserved award plaque. I'm thinking it's for the gift of being able to get along with everyone and the enthusiasm rather than any actual competency, lol!

Last edited:

bobolinx

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you Everyone for your help and suggestions. Rainbow Jenny, I will call Kevin McDonald and speak with him as soon as I can clear my mind to think ahead to next winter. Unfortunately I currently have a family situation which is consuming my extra time. Hope everyone is enjoying the spring. We rode our bikes up Mt. Wachusett yesterday. The road is still closed to motorists and we did a part dirt, part paved ride. It was more fun on the way down!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna